First time Canal Boat jollys!

Lord_Ashley

Featured Posts

Evening all, I'm new around here but have been browsing for a few months now.

Myself (19), fiancé, and two cousins (17,19,14) are going on a Canalboat Holiday for the first time, well for the first time for myself anyway on the 20th of April for a full week.

We've booked with Shire Crusiers at the last minute having spoken to the ever so friendly Susan over there and have been recommended the Rochdale Canal for our weeks cruise.

As this is my first time, I've got tons of questions buzzing around and would love for someone to answer them, please :).

- Is there any recommended places of interest, or quality pubs that serve top notch grub along the way worth stopping for?

- I've got Tourette Syndrome, which causes involuntary shouting, body movements, sometimes swearing and the odd barking sound.. I'd love to be able to moor in the middle of nowhere, with no other boats so I wouldn't disturb anyone at night with my "tics".. Has anyone have any recommendations on that as well?

I'm sure ill be back with more, but whoever can help with these, I'll be forever in your debt! :)

Hello :)

I presume you have 3 and a half days in one direction and then have to turn around and go back to the hire base? I'd suggest you visit Todmorden...go to the summit of the Pennines...turn around (check first if there is somewhere to turn)..then go back through Todmordon again...pass your hire base...head for Hebdon Bridge...and a bit further...then find a place to turn...go back through Hebdon bridge..and back to your hire base.

Doing this would give you a bit of time to enjoy cruising the best bits of the Rochdale. I dont think you'd get as much enjoyment if you left Sowerby...headed off in a single direction for 3 and a half days...turn and back to Sowerby. I think there is good bits on either side of Sowerby.

Also...the Rochdale has a lot of locks...so these will take a lot of your time. Keeping your cruising area between the summit and Hebdon bridge would still let you have time for relaxing....you dont want to be clock watching too much?

Regarding the swearing....once you've done a few locks...you'll be swearing anyway?

Our favourite pub was Stubbing Wharf, just on the other side of Hebden Bridge. This was a couple of years ago now so I hope it is still offering good beer and food. The night we were in there both the Tuel Lane lock keepers were in there as well. It was also their favourite.

A nice remote mooring is by Lobb Mill lock (No. 16) but there are plenty of other places you'll be able to moor. The Rochdale gets better the higher you climb, but also harder work. IIRC there are 17 locks within 3 miles after Todmorden.

A word of warning, as you get higher some of the pounds widen out. Don't assume there is enough water to float your boat on the non-towpath side. I, and few other locals, spent a happy hour getting a hire boat off the mud after they thought they could turn round by driving round in a circle. Bad move!

I moor with Shire Cruisers, and I don't think you will find a better company to hire from. I set off from Sowerby Bridge yesterday afternoon, and am now at Gauxholme Upper Lock, so with a crew I don't think you'll have much trouble getting at least this far and back

As for out-of-the way places, the first would be just above Brearley Upper lock (No 6), where I was last night, and then numerous places between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden - wherever you like really.

Can't really comment on top-notch grub, as I rarely eat out, but my favourite pubs along the stretch are the Shoulder of Mutton at Mythomroyd, Stubbing Wharf, and The Mason's Arms from which I have just returned.

Hebden Bridge has lots of eating places, and is a very popular town, but not with me. YYou may find it enchanting, but I prefer Sowerby Bridge, where you are starting from.

Be aware that the Cross Keys at Walsden, with an apparently very good restaurant, has CLOSED. There is an enormous and very good garden centre (Gordon Riggs) a bit further on which has a restaurant attached.

The Rochdale is not the easiest of canals, and is probably for beginners best done with another boat, but the Tourettes may be a problem in that case. But don't worry - you'll be hooked.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Hello :)

I presume you have 3 and a half days in one direction and then have to turn around and go back to the hire base? I'd suggest you visit Todmorden...go to the summit of the Pennines...turn around (check first if there is somewhere to turn)..then go back through Todmordon again...pass your hire base...head for Hebdon Bridge...and a bit further...then find a place to turn...go back through Hebdon bridge..and back to your hire base.

Doing this would give you a bit of time to enjoy cruising the best bits of the Rochdale. I dont think you'd get as much enjoyment if you left Sowerby...headed off in a single direction for 3 and a half days...turn and back to Sowerby. I think there is good bits on either side of Sowerby.

Also...the Rochdale has a lot of locks...so these will take a lot of your time. Keeping your cruising area between the summit and Hebdon bridge would still let you have time for relaxing....you dont want to be clock watching too much?

Regarding the swearing....once you've done a few locks...you'll be swearing anyway?

Thanks, I appreciate the advice :)

Our favourite pub was Stubbing Wharf, just on the other side of Hebden Bridge. This was a couple of years ago now so I hope it is still offering good beer and food. The night we were in there both the Tuel Lane lock keepers were in there as well. It was also their favourite.

A nice remote mooring is by Lobb Mill lock (No. 16) but there are plenty of other places you'll be able to moor. The Rochdale gets better the higher you climb, but also harder work. IIRC there are 17 locks within 3 miles after Todmorden.

A word of warning, as you get higher some of the pounds widen out. Don't assume there is enough water to float your boat on the non-towpath side. I, and few other locals, spent a happy hour getting a hire boat off the mud after they thought they could turn round by driving round in a circle. Bad move!

Thank you.. Have noted in very big letters on the scrap of paper I'm using to plan things, not to go too close to the edges.. Wouldn't want to upset the locals now! Haha..

I moor with Shire Cruisers, and I don't think you will find a better company to hire from. I set off from Sowerby Bridge yesterday afternoon, and am now at Gauxholme Upper Lock, so with a crew I don't think you'll have much trouble getting at least this far and back

Not sure where Gauxholme Upper Lock is, so will have to Google that.

As for out-of-the way places, the first would be just above Brearley Upper lock (No 6), where I was last night, and then numerous places between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden - wherever you like really.

Ta for that, written that down.

Can't really comment on top-notch grub, as I rarely eat out, but my favourite pubs along the stretch are the Shoulder of Mutton at Mythomroyd, Stubbing Wharf, and The Mason's Arms from which I have just returned.

Hebden Bridge has lots of eating places, and is a very popular town, but not with me. YYou may find it enchanting, but I prefer Sowerby Bridge, where you are starting from.

Be aware that the Cross Keys at Walsden, with an apparently very good restaurant, has CLOSED. There is an enormous and very good garden centre (Gordon Riggs) a bit further on which has a restaurant attached.

The Rochdale is not the easiest of canals, and is probably for beginners best done with another boat, but the Tourettes may be a problem in that case. But don't worry - you'll be hooked.

Yeah, reading around on it, it does sound quiet difficult, hopefully I can write down as much as I need and use that information, as I've not once been on a canal before(besides jogging on the tow-path), so all these lock numbers and such are a little confusing.. I'm hoping to get a little help with planning a route, last thing I want is to get lost, oops!

Susan and Nigel are really helpful and have

good local knowledge , their staff are great too!

Yay Colin!

Stubbing Wharf is worth a visit.

Yes the locks are kronky but that's part

of the challenge/fun!Just keep your

speed down when passing the moored

boats at Hebden/Tod/Callis etc as they do

get lots of hire traffic pass by which I'm sure

can be less than amusing.Most are friendly

and helpful.

oh and yes you will find places to moor that are

not near other boats should you wish...

2012_0624dogs0087.jpg

steffxxx

Hey have fun

Thanks so much for your replies everyone.. After careful consideration and hearing about the RC being tricky for newcomers, and my childhood dream of taking a boat up Bingley Five Rise after cycling from Liverpool to Bradford on the canal side.. We're going with Silsden Boats from Silsden (of course), and have been suggested to do the Foulridge Tunnel, turn around then head for the five rise.

Has anyone done this route before that could answer my questions as above? I'll also be doing it in the most GORGEOUS wide beam I've ever seen.. So I'll be looking for a pleasant challenge! :)

Sorry for being a pain..

• 3 weeks later...

Take care at all the swing bridges. Your crew are gonna be busy. Be aware you are on a WIDE boat. Dont go too close to moored boats. Try to get you crew to get off well before the swing bridges and walk up while you idle/tick over. Some of the swing bridge landings are shallow or have naughty hidden stones which stick out under the water. After Gargrave its absolutley gorgeous but can be windy.

Pubs - Skipton loads, Gargrave has a few and a good Indian, Cross keys at East Marton. Foulridge has a nice pub within 2 mins of tunnel. Kildwick on your way back to Silsden. If you get time to go to Saltaire, Fannys is a must on the main road opposite the fire station.

Silsden have a bad name in this area as their hirers dont seem to have had the tuition required. PLEASE listen carefully and if the chance read the boaters handbook before you even go away. I am sure its available online.

When are you off??

I thought you'd booked with Shire Cruisers?

Oh well, I've just re-read your original post which said you were going on the 20th....I assume you're home now?

Please let us know how it went...did you enjoy it? Are you hooked now????

Janet