Summer 2013

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

I don't seem to be having the best of luck. I moored last night about 300yds from the first bridge to be operated by BW. Set off at 20 past nine for the 9:30 start and noticed that all the other boats going today had gone. On arrival at the bridge I was informed it had broken and I couldn't go through. They knew about the problem yesterday and knew they could only swing the bridge once. So all the other boats went through early. I can't go. They say I was not on their list so didn't know to wait for me, but had seen my presence. Why wasn't I on the list when I booked about a week ago. Why didn't they walk 300 yds to inform me they were opening once only and doing it before the booked time. Why didn't they phone me, they should have the number. Where I was moored is well past the last winding hole for anyone not going down the link. There was supposed to be a fitter here at 830t do the repairs but he's gone to another job in the Peak District instead.

I have no idea when I'll be able to go and am completely pissed off.

Update. I have made a mistake. Having checked the booking form again it says 9:00 not 9:30. Oh dear. Still pissed off but now at myself. I'd been killing time for an hour.

Edited by Dr Bradley

• 2 weeks later...

Since the 3outage last Wednesday I have no Internet on my laptop and am relying on my phone and wifi pubs. Tonight in Ellesmere I found three. The first was packed with loud music so didn't go in. Next only had Tetleys so didn't go in and the third only connects to the phone.

I'm doing the Llangollen bit of my trip in a bit of a rush as I want tone at Middlewich for the folk and boat festival then down the Shroppie

The Mersey trip was great and in good weather. Next tidal will be the Severn to Bristol.

As usual there istore on the website but struggling to keep it up to date.

Last year I made a touge in cheek post about how horrible the Middlewich branch was. Only because there were no pubs and I really wanted a beer. Lots of replies about how good it is and where the pubs are. I'm on it again and have stopped at the Badger. The branch is good again. Tomorrow is Middlewich where I'll enjoy some music and weather permitting have some books out for sale.

Well I've arrived in Middlewich in drizzly rain and soaking wet. I'm moored several hundred yards above the King's Lock. As soon as I moored and came below, the rain stopped. Now having coffee and warming up before I go wandering.

Hey hey how fantastic was this evening. Dave is away moving Cobbett, I was laying down on the sofa reading a book when I hear lots of engine noise outside, someone's stopped next to me and is reversing. Millie starts barking (she does a good big-sized dog woof when she thinks she needs to defend us - none of this small dog yapping!)

I looked outside the window and there's Dr Bradley reversing to moor behind us, despite the fact we're a mile from the pub. Millie races up the towpath and greets him as a friend before he's even got off his boat. Anyone who knows Millie knows she has to know someone before she greets them. After a cup of coffee onboard Colin's boat I went back to Iona for a quick scrub up for the pub and suddenly noticed Millie was missing (which never happens). She'd gone back for another visit.

Dr Bradley you are officially part of Millie's pack :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not very efficient at updating this thread recently, concentrating on the website but here's an update.

After a pleasant stay in Audlem I moved on for my annual pilgrimage to the Anchor. A short one this time, three days instead of two weeks. Calling for an evening in the Navigation at Gnosall and who should be there but Ade (Their Not Whippets) who I always meet there even though his boat is on the Lancaster and he was only there that one night.

On Monday I moved on to the outskirts of Wolverhampton. (Jan - as I was there that day I could have lockwheeled for you on the Autherley flight. In return you could have come and helped at Tardebigge). The Staffs & Worcs is a smashing canal and jumps in at number four in my top ten. The locks are well maintained, fill and empty quickly and I only found one stiff paddle. It is very pretty. I had half a day wandering on Kinver Edge which has great views, a hill fort and rock houses. All well worth seeing.

I passed quickly and unimpressed through Kidderminster, though I am told it can be attractive away from the canal, and on to Stourport where I was impressed. Magnificant canal basins though the two lots of locks into the river are a bit hard to navigate in a wind. The bit I've done so far of the Severn, I prefer this river to the Trent and what a great way to enter Worcester, where I am now.

The run down to Gloucester lacks views a lot of the time, as with no water in the river the banks are high. Do you have a rough date or booking for the severn bristol avon run yet?

Don't make dates far in advance as I never know what might go wrong. Expect I'll be in Sharpness in about three weeks.

Pah! I missed the opportunity of being lockwheeled through The Autherley Flight sad.png

I assume you must have been behind me somewhere or did our boats new camoflage work well enough to fool you as you passed?

I came through late evening. Where did you set off from - we must have been close.

• 2 weeks later...

Moved on from Worcester, quite enjoyed the Tardebigge flight and am now at Lapworth, though will probably move on today or perhaps tomorrow.Looking forward to visiting Stratford (I expect lots of good pubs) and cruising the Avon. Then move quite quickly apart from a day in Gloucester, to Sharpness where I will sit and plan my trip down to Bristol.

Been through Stratford and now at Bidford , a place of two pubs that quite obviously used to be many more. Just managed to moor about 2:00 when another boat agreed to move a few feet, thanks.

I have been considering the differences between canals and rivers and have decided I much prefer rivers (though I prefer the sea even more!).

I really have to stop at Wyre Piddle, such a great name.

Where are you heading Mac, I see your in the West Midlands.

Presently in Brum - it's changed a bit in 30 years. Hoping to retrace our first narrowboat voyage starting at Sherbourne Wharf - it was Brummagem Boats 30 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

After my estuary thread thought I'd update this. I called at the Angel at Wyre Piddle and very pleasant it was. The Avon was well worth the many extra miles and locks but they seem a bit over zealous on rules and regulations. Requiring both ends of the boat secured is not safe when single handing as in an emergency it takes too long to release the boat. The lockie at Tewkesbury insisted I secure my boat in a manner I considered dangerous as I had no way of preventing it drifting back over the cill, in fact the forward rope was actually pulling it back. Soon changed that. Now travelling up the K&A and at Bradford which is a gem. Though mooring between Bath and Bradford can prove tricky as it is an almost continuous line of moored boats. Oh and the Cross Guns is an excellent pub worthy of a longer stay.