New boater

p6rob

Featured Posts

Just a quick hello to introduce myself. I've been lurking on here for a while now, thankfully most of my pre purchase questions had already been asked and answered.

I bought a poorly narrowboat which is currently berthed in Mercia Marina.

The engine, a BMC 1.5 had been rebuilt and partially assembled but a cracked sump had halted progress. I'm pleased to say that over the last couple of weekends a few of my friends have helped replace the sump (took some ingenious modifications to an engine hoist) and installed the injectors. Unfortunately a flat battery prevented us getting the engine to start that day

So, last night I came up from Brum with a new battery and buckets of enthusiasm with the intention of starting the boat today. Unfortunately I'm struggling to manage the boatman stove properly at the moment, so spent most of the night awake and freezing.

The new battery had plenty of power to turn the engine over and, I think, the fuel is now bled through but sadly, I wasn't able to get the engine going.

As I understand it, the crank was reground and new bearings fitted, the bores were de-glazed and new rings fitted, the head and injector pump were reconditioned and the injectors are new, so, the engine is like new.

Something doesn't seem right to me with the glow plug circuit. I connected a voltmeter to the glow plugs and they are only getting voltage when the starter is engaged and I was only reading 7 volts.

There are only three positions on the ignition switch: off, run and start. Should I replace the switch with a four position one? There are two unmarked switches on the control panel, one is a push switch, the other a toggle, I haven't worked out what they are for yet, but neither affect the glow plug voltage.

From what I can gather the engine has been in the boat, partially installed since about May last year.

Sorry for the long post. I'll save my questions about the water pressure pump and gas lockers for another day.

PS

I've found all the people I've met at the marina to be very friendly and helpful.

Welcome to the Forum Rob, and it's good to learn that the poorly narrowboat is at last in good hands.

There'll be a few others whom will shortly propose a number of solutions to your questions (I'm not nearly as 'techy' as many on here!) - but to follow up your question on the voltage at your glowplugs - - - as you suspect - that is far too low I think!

Q1 - is your starter batter fully charged (I know it's new - but is it charged?)

Q2 - have you checked and double checked the cable and switch connections from your battery - it might be good to check and clean/tighten them

Hi Rob and welcome

You need to apply full voltage to the plugs for about 10 to 20 seconds prior to cranking on a cold engine. Most boats I've been on had a four position switch, one position dedicated to glow plugs prior to crank position. One boat had a separate push and hold in button for plugs.

Hope this helps

David

Welcome to the Forum Rob, and it's good to learn that the poorly narrowboat is at last in good hands.

Thank you. I don't know whether it's in good hands... ...enthusiastic certainly.

There'll be a few others whom will shortly propose a number of solutions to your questions (I'm not nearly as 'techy' as many on here!) - but to follow up your question on the voltage at your glowplugs - - - as you suspect - that is far too low I think!

Q1 - is your starter batter fully charged (I know it's new - but is it charged?)

Yes, I made sure it was fully charged and it turned the engine over for a good few minutes.

Q2 - have you checked and double checked the cable and switch connections from your battery - it might be good to check and clean/tighten them

I noticed the isolator switch contacts looked like they could do with a clean, I'll do that on the next visit.

Hi Rob and welcome

You need to apply full voltage to the plugs for about 10 to 20 seconds prior to cranking on a cold engine. Most boats I've been on had a four position switch, one position dedicated to glow plugs prior to crank position. One boat had a separate push and hold in button for plugs.

Hope this helps

David

Hi David and thank you.

I'm pretty certain it's not wired like that at the moment. I'll find a way to energise the glow plugs before cranking on the next attempt, probably at the weekend.

I have absolutely no clue how to answer your question but welcome to Mercia Marina and happy boating when you eventually get it all fixed :cheers:

Thanks Loubyscooby,

If you see plumes of smoke near the diesel pumps on Saturday afternoon, it, hopefully, means the engine started :)

Just a quick hello to introduce myself. I've been lurking on here for a while now, thankfully most of my pre purchase questions had already been asked and answered.

I bought a poorly narrowboat which is currently berthed in Mercia Marina.

The engine, a BMC 1.5 had been rebuilt and partially assembled but a cracked sump had halted progress. I'm pleased to say that over the last couple of weekends a few of my friends have helped replace the sump (took some ingenious modifications to an engine hoist) and installed the injectors. Unfortunately a flat battery prevented us getting the engine to start that day

So, last night I came up from Brum with a new battery and buckets of enthusiasm with the intention of starting the boat today. Unfortunately I'm struggling to manage the boatman stove properly at the moment, so spent most of the night awake and freezing.

The new battery had plenty of power to turn the engine over and, I think, the fuel is now bled through but sadly, I wasn't able to get the engine going.

As I understand it, the crank was reground and new bearings fitted, the bores were de-glazed and new rings fitted, the head and injector pump were reconditioned and the injectors are new, so, the engine is like new.

Something doesn't seem right to me with the glow plug circuit. I connected a voltmeter to the glow plugs and they are only getting voltage when the starter is engaged and I was only reading 7 volts.

There are only three positions on the ignition switch: off, run and start. Should I replace the switch with a four position one? There are two unmarked switches on the control panel, one is a push switch, the other a toggle, I haven't worked out what they are for yet, but neither affect the glow plug voltage.

From what I can gather the engine has been in the boat, partially installed since about May last year.

Sorry for the long post. I'll save my questions about the water pressure pump and gas lockers for another day.

PS

I've found all the people I've met at the marina to be very friendly and helpful.

My Boatman stove is my only form of heating. Quick bit of advice as a newbie so you can tinker with the rest of the boat in the warm:

1. Sweep the flue and chimney - makes a massive difference to the draw on the fire. If you don't have a flue brush yet or a chandlery nearby to buy one, poke your boat pole down the flue pipe while the fire is out and give it a bit of a wiggle.

2. Screw up three sheets of paper and chuck them in the stove. Add a generous handful of wood kindling. Light the paper and close the stove door but not completely, leave a half inch crack and the fire will roar nicely.

3. When the kindling is really flaming well, chuck on a handful of coal and another handful of kindling on top, and close the stove door till there just a half inch crack again

4. When the coal is burning nicely add another handful of coal and you're sorted. Close the stove door fully and open the vent fully till your warm enough. Close the vent down a bit if you need to slow the burn. Top up with coal as you need to.

5. Top the coal up LOADS when you go to bed but only if the fire is still nice and orangey and hot. And if there's a lot of ash, empty the ashpan outside before you go to bed. If the stove is not that hot, chuck on a wee bit more kindling before topping up the coal really high. Close the stove door and turn the vent right down to shut, then open it no more than half a turn (more if the chimney isn't swept). Fire should stay in nicely all night. Taybrite is my referred smokeless fuel for staying in well all night. Pureheat and Excel I find light easily and get really hot but I've never kept them in overnight as efficiently as I can with Taybrite in the Boatman.

When the weather is less bitter you can take your time to find your own ways of getting the fire going and keeping it in, but the above method works well for me every time.

Everyone else here can help you with the engine :)

Good luck!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Your engine will never start without glowplugs this weather. Two solutions; buy a four position switch or put in a momentary button that operates a relay that runs the glowplugs directly (both readily available from Maplin or somesuch). You will need between 30 and 60 seconds on the glowplugs.

A quick test of whether the engine will start is to look at the exhaust while cranking. If there are are voluminous clouds of grey smoke coming out this is a sign of a healthy 1.5 fuel supply. If there is none there is a problem with fuel - or the stop lever is on 'stop'.

Bluestringpuddings recipe for warmth is so good it's toasting my toes as I write.

I need a minute of glow before my BMC will even think about getting involved. Good luck:)

Hi again Rob

amend my original post to read "up to 60 seconds", some of these BMC's sound like me on Monday morning, slow to get going -_-

Thanks for all the help and advice. I've only just noticed there had been some replies!

The flue has been swept and the boatman stove was put to good use again over the weekend. I can make it stay in for hours but not sure how to control the heat level.

This last weekend wasn't the best for attempting to get a BMC diesel to run, however, there were some encouraging noises from the engine 'ole, and it ran for a few seconds unaided.

Hopefully the weather will be warmer for the next attempt and it'll splutter into life!