A new elum for our butty?

Chop!

Featured Posts

I'm on the lookout for a hardwood bough of roughly the right shape that I can carve into a strong, but ornate, tiller.

Anyone know which tree would provide me with such a bough?

Traditionally 'grown' ash, in other words with the grain approximately following the shape.

As such things are generally not easy to find, may I suggest laminating it? The last few I made, some years ago now, were done with strips of Brazilian mahogany about 3/8" thick, cold bent into shape and glued with Cascamite. Probably Brazilian is frowned upon now and glues have moved on (I still like Cascamite though), but you get the general idea.

Not sure what you mean by 'ornate'?

Edit - lighter than ash and probably stronger.

I don't know if it helps but I just made one in steel and it was so much cheaper than wood. Look for my build blog for BCN 1645... all built for less than the price of a good timber for the stock.

Dan

Steel tiller? Horrible idea, apart from the weight just imagine holding on to it in the current weather! (-4C here this morning!).

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Steel tiller? Horrible idea, apart from the weight just imagine holding on to it in the current weather! (-4C here this morning!).

Tim

might be a horrible idea Tim, but it looks very good, and will last for years. An interesting modern take on an old classic.

I see a wooden tiller.

Have you read the OP & this thread?

:o

;)

Tim

That's a great rudder but I wouldn't like to retrieve it if it ever became unseated.

The tiller is wood and nearer to what I have in mind.

I'm replacing the tiller which was made of, mostly, laminated ply and is rotten and cracked.

Thanks for the link Ray, I'll try a bid on that :cheers:

Depends where you are at. Just above Bingly 5 rise there is a small wood yard who have a kiln and some good wood. Look for a building restorer who works with beams and knees

Thanks to the Bagdad Boatman for the tip. Anyone know the name of this wood yard?

I don't know if it helps but I just made one in steel and it was so much cheaper than wood. Look for my build blog for BCN 1645... all built for less than the price of a good timber for the stock.

Dan

Checked out your blog and FB, great work, my rudder is fairly solid, but I will be strengthening and fettling it, love the idea of the company initials.........

Traditionally 'grown' ash, in other words with the grain approximately following the shape.

As such things are generally not easy to find, may I suggest laminating it? The last few I made, some years ago now, were done with strips of Brazilian mahogany about 3/8" thick, cold bent into shape and glued with Cascamite. Probably Brazilian is frowned upon now and glues have moved on (I still like Cascamite though), but you get the general idea.

Thanks Tim, this is what I wanted to know :cheers:

Not sure what you mean by 'ornate'?

I fancy carving a little detail onto it

Edit - lighter than ash and probably stronger.

Tim