primer for a new watercan

madcat

Featured Posts

I have come by an unpainted 1 gallon can and I wish to paint it but do not really know what primer to use.Last time I had this situation Phil primed the cans for me but its a bit of a long trip to Scotland. Whatever I use I don't need a massive bucket of it either.

I have come by an unpainted 1 gallon can and I wish to paint it but do not really know what primer to use.Last time I had this situation Phil primed the cans for me but its a bit of a long trip to Scotland. Whatever I use I don't need a massive bucket of it either.

When I painted two galvanised cans 7 years ago (using Phil's basic paint kit) I primed them with a galvanised paint primer from Homebase and it as good today as it was when it went on the cans. No sign of any flaking off yet.

SWMBO used Hammerite special metal primer on an old milk churn that she decorated.

Steve

Hi

I've used most of the suggestions mentioned so far. Currently I'm using Upol etch primer, available from car body repair suppliers (I use Atex in Canal St, Berkeley Hill). Costs a fiver for an aerosol can that will do several water can sized items. It's good stuff!