Invertor / generator

khaffra

Featured Posts

I am considering buying a generator to charge the batteries on my boat to save running the engine if I don't want to move for a while.

I have a Victron Invertor/Charger fitted, If I was to hook the generator up to the 240V input of the boat and switch the charger and invertor onto Auto will this then charge the batteries while supplying 240V to the boat as well. (I am presuming this is the same as connecting to a land line?)

Also any idea approx what size generator would be required for this (I think the charger is rated at 40amps).

:D

Hi khaffra,

I've got a 30 amp charger and sterling said that 900 watts would cover it no problem so if you go a bit more you should be safe.

BUT.....it would probably work out cheaper (that's the Jockinese in me) and quicker to use your engine to recharge your batteries.

Colin

I am picking up a 3KW generator today.

It runs it at only £600 inc vat (roughly)....

GENESIS 3000

3kw - 3.75kva - 230/115v

Vanguard OHV- 117 432 engine

Oil Safety, Circuit breaker

Run Time: 8.9hours

Noise Level: 97 lwa

Weight: 50 kg

http://www.generators.co.uk/silenced/sdmo.htm

The more KW you have the more stuff you can run.

Hoovers use a lot of power as do microwaves.

We have a good system as we have a 1kw inverter, 2x64 watt solar panels and a Sollatek Charge controller/battery regulator with a very cool digital read out.

On top of that I've nearly got all the lights replaced with very bright low voltage LUMINA lights (http://www.sollatek.com/Lumina.htm), these are very very good - its dark now and its like daylight in my saloon.

Power management on boats is not down to just GENERATING power but the efficient use of the power that is generated.

We have a 40amp Sterling charger which needs a 2kw genny (quote from Sterling not me)-our genny is only 1kw and this charger stalls it immediately. On our inverter (Sterling) you just switch the inverter to off position and connect to shoreline/genny and the boat runs straight from mains. I do not know if they are all like this.

:) i also have a genny to run whe engine is not avaible or to noisy, i have a 2.4 kw genny with a 30 amp battery charger, and i can only get in 15amps max,

i plan to sell my genny if anyone is intrested 6 months old 72db's i want to get a diesel one :D

Ross