Vetus Sanitary Hose

blackrose

Featured Posts

Has anyone ever experienced smells coming through Vetus flexible sanitary hose? I installed a lenght a couple of months ago using double hose clips for any joints etc, and the smell seems to be coming from the hose. Is it possible I got some off a duff batch? The swept joint is rigid polypropylene (I think!) supplied by LeeSan

Edited by blackrose

I don't know whether new hose could be porous or not, but we did have a problem with jubilee clips/tanks bosses/elbows.

The clips were doubled up stainless steel and were causing the plastic elbows to go out of round, which I suspect was causing leaks.

As a temporary repair I put plumbers mait on the bosses and elbows first. Long term I intend to replace them with brass which doesn't go out of shape so easily.

I have spoken to several people whose usually sound systems stank a bit during the recent unduly hot weather.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by david and julie

I don't know whether new hose could be porous or not, but we did have a problem with jubilee clips/tanks bosses/elbows.

The clips were doubled up stainless steel and were causing the plastic elbows to go out of round, which I suspect was causing leaks.

The thing is, I have a vacuum toilet so if there was a leak the vacuum pump would go off. There is no leak so the smell must be emanating from the waste pipe.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it's definately coming from the waste pipe. I called LeeSan again and they told me to wipe a damp rag over the pipe and give it a sniff.

Whiffola!

£14/metre and it doesn't work!

I know I'm talking to myself here but if anyone's interested I contacted Vetus and they've agreed to replace the hose. I was thinking of replacing it with rigid polypropylene pipe as it's not a job I relish & don't want to have to do it again for a while, but if Vetus reckon it was from a bad batch I'll give it another go.

Mmm, im dubous.

- Anyone sucessfully used the abov hose?

- How hard would it be for us to use the ridgid?

Daniel

I guess it depends upon the particular installation. For my installation I would be using 40mm rigid pipe throughout so it shouldn't be difficult, but not as easy as flexible hose. I think I'd rubber mount the pipe somehow to prevent vibration.

I don't think Vetus were offering me any money back, just replacement, so I may as well accept it. Perhaps i can sell it to some other sucker! The chandler who I bought the pipe from didn't offer me anything. It's a bit difficult for me to show them it's not working without bringing it in and then it really will stink!

I can't believe Vetus would produce expensive sanitary hose that didn't work. It must have come from a bad batch?

What kind of waste pipe do most people use?

Edited by blackrose

• 1 year later...
I guess it depends upon the particular installation. For my installation I would be using 40mm rigid pipe throughout so it shouldn't be difficult, but not as easy as flexible hose. I think I'd rubber mount the pipe somehow to prevent vibration.

I don't think Vetus were offering me any money back, just replacement, so I may as well accept it. Perhaps i can sell it to some other sucker! The chandler who I bought the pipe from didn't offer me anything. It's a bit difficult for me to show them it's not working without bringing it in and then it really will stink!

I can't believe Vetus would produce expensive sanitary hose that didn't work. It must have come from a bad batch?

What kind of waste pipe do most people use?

I am soon to fit some vetus sani hose, did they change it and was the new stuff ok?

thanks

We use some of it but not from Vetus it's much too over priced, we do most of the plumbing for Toilets in ABS rigid piping with solvent glued joints.

A word of warning with sanitary hose it only as a known limited life, if you put it where you can't get it out like many boat builders do then things will get interesting in the future. :lol:

I am soon to fit some vetus sani hose, did they change it and was the new stuff ok?

thanks

To be completely honest they sent me a few metres but the new stuff is still in a box in the engine room. I fitted a new expensive odour filter from Lee Sanitation because it stank when I flushed, but the new filter didn't do anything. When I visited their stand at Crick they told me that my Vacuflush cassette was designed to be emptied every few days (not the fortnighly intervals I was leaving it). I still didn't understand why their odour filter didn't work - I mean either it worked or it didn't regardless of how long you leave crap in the tank! Then I discovered Odorloss holding tank treatment and that completely cured the problem (previously I wasn't using anything because Lee told me that they didn't recommend anything in their toilets, especially Blue which leads to sludge formation.) Trouble is if you empty as infrequently as I do you need to use something in the tank.

So perhaps that smell wan't coming from the sanitary pipe in the first place, but now at least I have a new length of pipe for when it does need replacing! :lol:

Edited by blackrose

To be completely honest they sent me a few metres but the new stuff is still in a box in the engine room. I fitted a new expensive odour filter from Lee Sanitation because it stank when I flushed, but the new filter didn't do anything. When I visited their stand at Crick they told me that my Vacuflush cassette was designed to be emptied every few days (not the fortnighly intervals I was leaving it). I still didn't understand why their odour filter didn't work - I mean either it worked or it didn't regardless of how long you leave crap in the tank! Then I discovered Odorloss holding tank treatment and that completely cured the problem (previously I wasn't using anything because Lee told me that they didn't recommend anything in their toilets, especially Blue which leads to sludge formation.) Trouble is if you empty as infrequently as I do you need to use something in the tank.

So perhaps that smell wan't coming from the sanitary pipe in the first place, but now at least I have a new length of pipe for when it does need replacing! :lol:

We have one of those expensive carbon filters on the breather vent fitted to our pump out tank. In warm weather, AND when the tank is more than half full, there is an unpleasant odour every time the toilet is flushed. We replaced the filter last summer and it had absolutely no beneficial effect what so ever – just wasted our money was our conclusion.

We have one of those expensive carbon filters on the breather vent fitted to our pump out tank. In warm weather, AND when the tank is more than half full, there is an unpleasant odour every time the toilet is flushed. We replaced the filter last summer and it had absolutely no beneficial effect what so ever – just wasted our money was our conclusion.

If you haven't done so already, try Odorloss. You may have to flush the all blue out of your tank a few times first if you've been using it previously.

Edited by blackrose

If you haven't done so already, try Odorloss. You may have to flush the all blue out of your tank a few times first if you've been using it previously.

Thanks, I will give it a try

Generally tanks smell when theres not enough adequate oxygen/air getting to the liquid waste - do you have a 32mm breather pipe ?

Yes, it's 32mm but has the carbon filter 'in-line' with the breather pipe which probably reduces the effective diameter a bit. May be better off just removing the filter ??