Update on New Mills Marina

kiki

Featured Posts

OK, I'm sure this guy is a bit shady and hasn't been the best landlord, but since the demise of the NMM he's had the tyres on his car slashed and his flat broken into. It doesn't give a very good impression of the boaters if these are tactics that are being used. Of course it may be entirely co-incidental, but sometimes it's not about the truth it's what it looks like.

I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the boaters - of that I will be quite confident. The gates are never locked, peole are in and out and many of the units are rented out. I know the boaters and although I was sorry about his tires, none of us would be one teeny bit interesed in his wifes clothes or paintings.

Graham,

I've had a long day and am tired so I'm probably struggling to explain. The way it appears is that a group of boaters have had a tricky time at the NMM with the ongoing problems with security, power supplies, pontoons, rubbish collections etc, all the fault of the owners who seem to have ignored their responsibilities and just taken the money (so to speak). The outcome is the boaters now have insecurity, issues with losing money, people not being paid for work done and so on. Hopefully we're agreeing up to this point.

Then posts appear documenting bad things that have recently happened to the Brammers (tyres, burglary, then accusations of insurance fraud.) I've just read back through those posts, and they read TO ME with a slightly gleeful slant. I'd probably feel the same if I was in the same situation (rather like bullies getting their come-uppance)

I'm sure the boaters are a very nice peaceful bunch, and I haven't been to the police with my suspicions as I have no bl00dy suspicions, I'm sure they're not doing these things, my only point is that the timing of these incidents looks bad for them.

stated in my previous email when I told you all about the tires, that I thought it was a disgraceful thing to have done. I think I am ducking out of this conversation - I dont like being accused of being gleeful or my neighbours being cast in a bad light...we are the bloody victims here.

And why has noone suvgested that the Brammers, having exhausted the income from the moorings, arent up for a bit of set up burglary and insurance money income? That was my immediate thought. Not moorers!

Id also be v interestd to know the figures crt are talking about fir the lease. Would inform some discussions elsewhere

I have already suggested that :glare:, but it's comforting that I'm not the only one to consider the possibility

Id also be v interestd to know the figures crt are talking about fir the lease. Would inform some discussions elsewhere

I asked that too but no-one came forward with an answer, it could be an interesting propersition if the price was right and sufficient interest could be generated.

• 1 year later...

Pridewater Estates have taken over the lease at New Mills Marina and are 6 months into a massive renovation of the site. Buildings are being sympathetically restored to maintain the historic caricature of the marina. New toilet and showers blocks are being fitted and a total overhaul of the pontoons and canal side are to be undertaken.

A lot of effort has gone into landscaping the site and once finished the marina will be the place to moor in the area.

So do you have any connection whatsoever with Pridewater Estates, or the renovations going on at those moorings?

Just curious, as so far you apparently an almost new member of the forum, having made just two, posts each telling us how wonderful it will be.

So do you have any connection whatsoever with Pridewater Estates, or the renovations going on at those moorings?

Just curious, as so far you apparently an almost new member of the forum, having made just two, posts each telling us how wonderful it will be.

With the posts in question reading like something out of a sales brochure, my initial thoughts reading the post in question was similar to yours Alan.

On the subject of New Mills though, i passed there a few weeks ago and saw work going on. Having seen all the negative stuff on here about the way it used to be run it was good to see work having started. The main work seemed to be centred around a smart new building which i assume is going to be the facilities block?

The pontoons i saw were all broken and hanging in the water though, so i guess these will be replaced soon.

Does anybody know if you can smell the lovely aroma from the sweets factory on the moorings? If so, that's a good enough reason for me to want to moor there!

Edited by junior

It looked to us as though a sympathetic restoration was taking place as we passed by a few weeks ago. It was good to see. New Mills itself is a fascinating little town with a great walk from the centre down along the river and it's suspended walkway and then past the local hydro scheme and back to the canal.