Dog do in the cut

Featured Posts

Just had a very nice cruise around the 4 counties, spoilt only by the number of people I have seen walking dogs along the towpath carrying a small (or in one case full size garden) shovel. It seems the latest idea is not to bother clearing up after your dog but to simply shovel the poo into the cut.

Out of site may well be out of mind, and seeing dog poo bags half way up trees and in bushes (why pick it up in the first place if you are going to throw it up a tree ?) is not nice either, but surely this is not responsible behaviour.

I have seen boat owners as well as hirers and walkers doing this so it seems pretty widespread. Walkers may just be ignorant, but surely the boaters doing this may like to remember their actions when next down the weed hatch.

Dogs are omnivores, so are the majority of us humans so following this to its' end . . . . If it is OK to throw dog poo in then it must be OK for us boater to just dump our holding tanks in the cut ?

I'm not anti dog, I'm anti irresponsible dog owner.

Just had a very nice cruise around the 4 counties, spoilt only by the number of people I have seen walking dogs along the towpath carrying a small (or in one case full size garden) shovel. It seems the latest idea is not to bother clearing up after your dog but to simply shovel the poo into the cut.

Out of site may well be out of mind, and seeing dog poo bags half way up trees and in bushes (why pick it up in the first place if you are going to throw it up a tree ?) is not nice either, but surely this is not responsible behaviour.

I have seen boat owners as well as hirers and walkers doing this so it seems pretty widespread. Walkers may just be ignorant, but surely the boaters doing this may like to remember their actions when next down the weed hatch.

Dogs are omnivores, so are the majority of us humans so following this to its' end . . . . If it is OK to throw dog poo in then it must be OK for us boater to just dump our holding tanks in the cut ?

Setzen Sie einfach Ihre Hand in der Plastiktasche ein und heben Sie Ihre Hundevergeudung auf. Es ist- einfach und nicht so schlecht, wie Sie denken. stinky stinky

Discussed at great length in at least one previous thread

Link to previous "doggie poo" thread

If I recall correctly, the biggest complaint that responsible dog owners come up with is that if you do "bag it", there are precious few bins around on the cut where it can actively be got rid of.

Clearly an emotive topic, but I'd tend to agree that if people think it's OK in the cut, why was it banned to have sea toilets on canal boats many years ago. They at least used to macerate the human stuff.... This is not happening when canine poo is just flicked in.......

I can't walk past a dog poo thread without posting.

I too have noticed more people flicking it into the cut, or into a hedge. I don't agree with it, but it's preferable to leaving it - and I won't complain if I see someone doing it.

There seems to be a lot of people who bag it then throw the bag in a bush or a few people doing it a lot. There is a lock pair before Red Bull that had many bags (all same colour) distributed on it and around it - as if someone threw them there every morning.

And Congleton towpath - absolutely filthy, every 2ft - I've not see one as bad anywhere ever - joggers with dogs seem to be the most irresponsible.

You have to do somthing with the stuff, and given the options, i think you can do far worse than flick it into the hedge or cut

- Infact i think scooping it into the hedge is THE SINGLE BEST THING to do with god poo when in the countryside or on the canal.

If i had to rank methods, it would go like this (best to worse)

1) Scooped into the hedge/field.

2) Picked up in a non-plasic bag and put in a bin

3) Scooped into the cut.

4) Left on the towpath

5) Scooped up in a plasic bag and throw in the hedge.

Daniel

If a boater can carry a gallon or three around until they come to a proper unloading place them why is it not possible for dog owners to do the same.

Tossing it into the cut or the hedgerow is NOTclearing up after your dog it is simply hiding it.

My thanks for the previous thread - will take time to study.

I must admit that although I'd rather it was bagged and removed I too see little or even no harm in removing it from the towpath and putting the poo in the hedge bottom. At least once there it will bio degrade quite quickly, and is no worse than any other animal poo from carnivores, foxes, badgers etc.

I also agree that probably the worst option is the 'bag it and throw it in a tree' one. After all, that only achieves the 'hedge bottom' result with a few decades of delay as we wait for the bag to rip or degrade.

My thanks to all for some sensible replies.

Saw a dog walker the other day wielding a garden trowell and just assumed that it would be used to bury the poo. I would have thought that that would be the absolute best way - out of site but still going to decompose.

Incidentally Daniel, your theological typo regarding "god poo" had me in stitches! :blush:

Hi y'all,

I was quite suprised that there isn't a dog bin at the south side of the Harecastle, the night we stopped there I counted at least six dogs presumable all needing an early morning poo! I hung my doggy bag on the headlamp fitting till we reached the next one...not a pretty sight. I'm going to buy one of those tiny coloured plastic dustbins and tie wrap it to the front to carry the smelly stuff till I find somewhere to dispose of it properly.

Regards,

Ally p.

A lot of the boaters near us take their dogs out for late night poo sessions. They will clean up in the day, then sneak out at night to save using another bag. They think we don't notice!!!

At least in the hedge it's doing something useful, and given what gets thrown into the canals anyway, then dog poo is usually not a big problem (unless you happen to fall in and get a mouthful!).

Umm! Hope no-one is eating.

(unless you happen to fall in and get a mouthful!)

Exactly! Floating detritus tends to gather around locks, and that's just the sort of place most people have contact with the water. Hedge bottoms I have no problem with, in rural areas at least.

I have a dog and i always clear up his poo after him.

I dont have a bag with me so i chuck it in the hedge.

This im sure will help the hedgerows grow thicker when it breaks down into fertiliser.

Some dog poo sinks i think so not such a prob as the floating ones.

Dave

I have a dog and i always clear up his poo after him.

I dont have a bag with me so i chuck it in the hedge.

This im sure will help the hedgerows grow thicker when it breaks down into fertiliser.

Some dog poo sinks i think so not such a prob as the floating ones.

Dave

I must be missing something as I have never yet seen a dog owner throw poo into the cut. Of course it must happen but it's not often it does. What earthly harm can come of poo thrown into a hedge bottom, the right place for it. Actually the days of walking in the stuff seem to be qickly coming to an end . Good for you dog owners.

You have to do somthing with the stuff, and given the options, i think you can do far worse than flick it into the hedge or cut

- Infact i think scooping it into the hedge is THE SINGLE BEST THING to do with god poo when in the countryside or on the canal.

If i had to rank methods, it would go like this (best to worse)

1) Scooped into the hedge/field.

2) Picked up in a non-plasic bag and put in a bin

3) Scooped into the cut.

4) Left on the towpath

5) Scooped up in a plasic bag and throw in the hedge.

Daniel

Incidentally, anyone who reads 'Your Dog' magazine will notice an interesting artical in there about this very subject. Apparently the forestry commission are actually publ;icising their 'flick it with a stick' campaign as it would be impossible to provide bins all over forests and bagging it in plastic bags is environmentally horrendous! I agree, in parks, cities etc it is a must to clean it up but out in the country....? Surely the best thing to do is to flick it into a field, (along with all the other animal poo that accumulates naturally,) or well out of harms reach under a hedge. Surely if flicked in the cut, it would bio-degrade quite quickly anyway. My do actually backs his rear end over the canal side to release his parcels and substitutes curbs for towpaths when out on the street making it easier to clean up there.

Surely if flicked in the cut, it would bio-degrade quite quickly anyway.

Surely you could use that argument to say that we could all go back to using the old sea toilets that used to be allowed, and start once again to dump our own poo in there too ?

I'm not sure I can see the difference, other than most of those toilets used to macerate it, so presumably you'd be less likely to encounter lumps of the stuff in the cut, (and presumably the "bio-degrading" process might have been faster too ?).

I'd stress I'm not anti-dog, and indeed used to own one, (admittedly in the days before attitudes hardened to the subject of their poo).

But I really can't warm to the idea that it's OK to dump poo in the cut - sorry!.....

(Finally, I noticed not too many dog-owner's were to keen to take up David Schweizer's suggestion that people could lose it into an on board tank for disposal - possibly an old dedicated Porta Potty, or similar. It's not hard to understand why, of course, but it's clearly a way that someone can deal with the problem, if there was really a will to do so....)

I don't think there is much difference except the quantity. I think it's a case of number of dogs that walk the towpath compared to number of humans that boat on the waterways. I think the human poo would soon become a serious and unsightly health hazard but would expect that currently the amount of dog poo put in would not exceed the rate of decomposition. I think it's also a case of the mobile nature of dog walking with little alternative but to add to the rediculous amount of household litter and plastic consumption we already generate compared to the human sewage system. I think if I knew that all dog bins allowed dog poo to be put in raw, (ie. not in plastic bags,) and were then disposed of into the sewage system, I would feel a little happier.

I've hammered a gunnell fitting into my dogs backside, and find it no extra hassle to to pump out the dog at the same time as the boat!

Bloody think keeps trying to bite be though!

Andy.

Do you think this would work for my 4 year old son who refuses to poo anywhere other than his nappy?

Back to dogs though, my lurcher sticks his bum over the edge and straight into the canal, I've never taught him this and, sorry to all those who don't want it in the cut, I ain't fishing it out. Elsewhere he sticks his bum in a hedge (where available), I've never seen him poo on tarmac or concrete. Someone must have taught him well before I got him.

• 2 weeks later...