Parrots on boats

Homer 123

Featured Posts

Mine comes o,it but rarely flies. He prefers to climb the cage and walk along the floor. Occasionally he will fly back to the cage. Some have their wings clipped although so far I haven't but not flying wouldn't be a problem then.

I've got a nice place away from the window and door for him. Do you happen to know whether the cages dismantle? It's a Montana cache and too large to go through the door!

Sorry question about the cage was meant for you Ziggy!

My cage will come apart it has four 12 mm bolts, Im thinking about cutting legs off, and put it on a work top,i dont know about makes,but mine goes throu my sturn doors . I have a revirse lay out.

My cage will come apart it has four 12 mm bolts, Im thinking about cutting legs off, and put it on a work top,i dont know about makes,but mine goes throu my sturn doors . I have a revirse lay out.

Isn't that a bit drastic - surely clipping it's wings would suffice?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an African grey. I`m not yet a boater mind but I was thinking of getting a parrot harness for him and having him on a stand, so he can be out with me as we sail along.He hates being in his cage anyway So this may work.we shall see.

Do you ever post anything helpful, positive or constructive?

MtB

(African grey owner :P )

I am sure your African Grey (like out Senegal) was captive bred and hand reared...which is why they think they are (a superior) human!

I am sure your African Grey (like out Senegal) was captive bred and hand reared...which is why they think they are (a superior) human!

I'm not entirely convinced of that. We've had him 20 years and he has the voices of several previous owners (we bought him as a rescue bird). He is not very hand-tame despite dozens or hundreds of hours of training so I think he may have been captured in the wild decades ago. A 'bronco' as they say....

MtB

I'm not entirely convinced of that. We've had him 20 years and he has the voices of several previous owners (we bought him as a rescue bird). He is not very hand-tame despite dozens or hundreds of hours of training so I think he may have been captured in the wild decades ago. A 'bronco' as they say....

MtB

Ah....so yours dates before they were trendy. I'm afraid Mrs TNC bought hers ours on a whim. It never liked her (Senegals might be small, but they still have a big beak) and just switches allegiance between me and my son. My son has it now (for its remaining 40 years?) and fortunately it gets on with his new "bird"! We have found that it is more passive if it's flight feathers are kept trimmed, also a bath (which it enjoys) calms it down, if being too cheeky.

would you capture and cage a Heron, or a Robin ect ? I feel mighty sorry seeing parrots in cages, doesn't feel right to me.

My gray is in the cage for his safety, he thinks im his partner .He will bite anyone or anything, dogs ect who comes near me. he feels safe in the cage its his space. he is captive bread ,and knows no diffrent . sorry bad spelling .

MtB

Wow 20 years! I know they're long lived. I'm sure he'll het used to a new way of life, the same as I and the dogs will have to. His cage is too big but found a suitable alternative at Midland Parrot Centre.

A stand and harness is also a good idea. Not sure how he would take to a harness or whether I'd be able to get it on him! Lol

Long lived isn't the half of it. My paternal Grandparents came over from Russia with the circus in the 1940's with a parrot that they didn't know the age of then, but it was an adult that had had at least one previous owner. My Grandparents are both now dead, but said parrot is still alive and well.

It's the most aggressive horrible shitebag you ever would meet, and attacks anyone left alone with it apart from my (late) Grandparents, my uncle and a cousin. I think everyone was secretly hoping it would die when my Grandparents did, because everyone in the family was shitting themselves about being the one that inherited it...

They used to put it out on a stand in the garden, but the council made a formal demand that they stop doing this, as it was attacking school children at the bus stop nearby. :D

It's one of those giant blue and yellow ones; do I mean a macaw?

Long lived isn't the half of it. My paternal Grandparents came over from Russia with the circus in the 1940's with a parrot that they didn't know the age of then, but it was an adult that had had at least one previous owner. My Grandparents are both now dead, but said parrot is still alive and well.

It's the most aggressive horrible shitebag you ever would meet, and attacks anyone left alone with it apart from my (late) Grandparents, my uncle and a cousin. I think everyone was secretly hoping it would die when my Grandparents did, because everyone in the family was shitting themselves about being the one that inherited it...

They used to put it out on a stand in the garden, but the council made a formal demand that they stop doing this, as it was attacking school children at the bus stop nearby. :D

It's one of those giant blue and yellow ones; do I mean a macaw?

Blimey yes, that's a hyacinth Macaw, typically worth about £10k...

MtB

Except the bitey ones, obv :D

These replies have all made me smile. I also have chickens and ducks which will be renamed but I have one hen that I'm going to find it hard to part with. She doesn't mix with the others and is very tame. I don't suppose a hen on a boat would be possible would it? The fresh eggs would go down a treat! Lol