K & A Hungerford

Flocal

Featured Posts

I phoned crt about this the other day as they open lock 65 on the 2nd Feb but are closing hungerford today that means we are stuck here another month , I informed them I would be on a 48mooring during that time and asked if they could delay or if any assisted passage was available , the answer, "sit on the mooring " They did also say that the weather may delay the work and to keep an eye on the Web site , it's causing me many issues with work and driving us mad as we want to move .

Ive been locked in since December, complete accident ofcourse :cheers:

Was going to stay on the church moorings by the bridge until they notified us three days ago they were locking the gates and dropping the water. There is no info on there atall to suggest water levels being sropped and locks shutting. It just says swing bridge is closing.

We are piling up on the 48 hour until all the winter stoppages are complete, we were told to do so by the enforcer Geoff. Ive forgot what a plank is :closedeyes::rolleyes:

Where are you Trix?

Works are set to be completed on 1st March, we will still be there Easter if we get anymore snow and ice.

We are at great bedwyn i took a walk up the tow path the other day at hungerford to see if there was any way i could get water etc this side of the swing bridge but there is nothing so we are now stuck here at least we have water , shop etc but i really need to be heading towards London now .

I'm looking to get to London as soon as possible too (currently in Bristol Harbour). Getting out of the harbour would mean going over the weir at a high tide, but there's not much point if I can't get anywhere.

Are there any other stoppages likely to continue into March? Is 1st March the likely go ahead date for the whole run?

I'm looking to get to London as soon as possible too (currently in Bristol Harbour). Getting out of the harbour would mean going over the weir at a high tide, but there's not much point if I can't get anywhere.

Are there any other stoppages likely to continue into March? Is 1st March the likely go ahead date for the whole run?

From the CaRT website it seems that Bath locks are closed until 15th March so that is the earliest you can make the trip from Bristol. On the Thames it seems that Moseley is the last to open on 8th March.

However, with all the rain that we keep getting there is no guarantee that you'll make it even if the stoppages are over. My current understanding is that CaRT are advising boats not to go east of Kintbury because of dangerous flows and have closed some locks. The Thames is on red boards on its entire length. In case you don't know, red boards mean that you are very strongly advised not to travel, the environment agency don't have any legal power to stop you but you may find you are not insured if you ignore their advise.

Rik

We are at great bedwyn i took a walk up the tow path the other day at hungerford to see if there was any way i could get water etc this side of the swing bridge but there is nothing so we are now stuck here at least we have water , shop etc but i really need to be heading towards London now .

The K&A is the best canal in the country so just enjoy your time stuck here.

Unless the winter is very dry its good advice to keep off the Kennet till Easter, and I expect this will certainly apply this year.

Newbury can be a bit tricky, and Woolhampton lock is even worse. The big problem is Reading, its narrow so you need to go quite fast to keep steerage and then there is a really nasty low arched bridge, at the end, set at an angle. Its unprotected and very easy to hit this with the top of your cabin

(no I havn't but I have been too close for comfort once).

.........Dave

As Dave says, the Kennett at this end is quite frisky and is looking very stubborn, refusing to do down more than a few inches before rising again.

When all is right again with the eastern end, it's just 2-3 days to the Thames from Great Bedwyn, so best just get comfortable, at least you have the best lardy cake i've ever tasted sold in Gert Bedun's Bakery, and the Cross Keys is not too bad a pub to get stuck near.

Paul

From the CaRT website it seems that Bath locks are closed until 15th March so that is the earliest you can make the trip from Bristol. On the Thames it seems that Moseley is the last to open on 8th March.

However, with all the rain that we keep getting there is no guarantee that you'll make it even if the stoppages are over. My current understanding is that CaRT are advising boats not to go east of Kintbury because of dangerous flows and have closed some locks. The Thames is on red boards on its entire length. In case you don't know, red boards mean that you are very strongly advised not to travel, the environment agency don't have any legal power to stop you but you may find you are not insured if you ignore their advise.

Rik

If I was going to try and do the run I would be out of Bristol on the 13th, so in time to make it past the Bath stoppages. My difficulty is knowing whether to leave Bristol Harbour and end up stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I've travelled on red boards before, but know it's not ideal.

Thanks for the advice.

A narrow boat and then a widebeam made it through from woolhampton last Saturday . The narrowboater was single handed and when congratulated on his safe arrival at Aldermaston, mentioned it was 'a had to have a beer after that ' moment . The widebeam steerer said they had used ropes to come down at woolhampton (still trying to work that one out). Bunny

If I was going to try and do the run I would be out of Bristol on the 13th, so in time to make it past the Bath stoppages. My difficulty is knowing whether to leave Bristol Harbour and end up stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I had an update from Waterscape saying ...Due to major silting/flood debris Lock 1, Hanham Lock is impassable until further notice....

This was on 30th January so no idea when that will be sorted out and obviously until it does you are not going to get far from Bristol!

I had an update from Waterscape saying ...Due to major silting/flood debris Lock 1, Hanham Lock is impassable until further notice....

This was on 30th January so no idea when that will be sorted out and obviously until it does you are not going to get far from Bristol!

I'd get out the same way I got in, over the weir at a high tide. There's one on the 12/13th of Feb which would allow me to pass safely. Not ideal, but doable.

I'd get out the same way I got in, over the weir at a high tide. There's one on the 12/13th of Feb which would allow me to pass safely. Not ideal, but doable.

Sounds scary!..Can you fix a camera & video please?!! :rolleyes:

It was actually incredibly sedate on the way down, the tide goes so high that the weir completely disappears. I am not 100% on doing it, I would much rather not. I'm sure my insurance wouldn't be valid.

How much water is there above the weir on a spring tide? I realise springs are quite variable but the thought of getting stuck on the weir on a falling tide!!!!!!!

I guess you went over on the top of the tide, and its quite a way down to Netham lock, so what was the flow like by the time you turned into Netham?

Its a fairly tame turn but then the weir is very close!

I really want to visit Bristol soon but not sure I am brave enough to do what you did. Also I assume this method means staying in Bristol for at least a month at £25 per night(or maybe just for a day or two on the same spring.)

.........Dave

So say hungerford swing bridge will only be shut a week.

Its quite a considerable amount of water they have drained, only found a pair of scissors so far :unsure:

Where did you get the info is it reliable because if so ill set of next week towards hungerford

• Greenie 1