calorifier

Titan

Featured Posts

Just a quick question folks,

what size calorifier is best ?? only 2 people on boat, i am wondering what you all think ie too big takes too long to heat and too small as not enough to last for a shower ??? all help appreciated thanks martin

The average size seems to be 55Ltr. I'd say get the largest you can fit into the space available & within your budget. Something to remember - a horizontal calorifier cools quicker than a vertical one.

Hi spuds.

I am not doubting you in any way but is there any reason why a horizontal calorifier would cool faster than a vertical one. Mine is vertical and the warm water does seem to last a good while.

Pete

Edited by pete.i

Hi spuds.

I am not doubting you in any way but is there any reason why a horizontal calorifier would cool faster than a vertical one. Mine is vertical and the warm water does seem to last a good while.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Doubt away mate, I know you won't make it personal.

I think it has to do with surface area. Hot water, as we know, rises & cold water sinks. In a calorifier, as it cools, the hotter water rises to the top. The greater the surface area at the top of a body of water, the quicker it will lose any heat within it. In a horizontal calorifier, the surface area of that "top" is larger than for a vertical one & so it doesn't lose its heat as quickly. Hope that's right.

BTW, will be sending the pics as promised over the weekend.

Why is it a calorifer in a boat and a hot water tank in a house ?

A calorifier is a heat exchanger that heats water via hot water passing through coils inside it. A hot water tank simply stores water heated externally such as a central heating boiler.

Edited to add:

In fact many household hot water tanks are in fact calorifiers.

I recently replaced mine with a 55ltr surecal unit and bought it from the company's eBay shop. About £50 cheaper than midland chandlers and free delivery.

eBay link

Edited by Meggers

To a plumber I think they are all calorifiers, house or boat.

I can't give a definite reason for it but having had a vertical calorifier in one boat & a horizontal one in my present boat, Spuds is right. Given a choice in future I'd always go for vertical if it was practicable. The current horizontal job really doesn't keep as hot as long as the vertical one. They are of similar capacity & the current one is probably better insulated, but it is not as good. There are check valves to stop thermal cycling, but it still loses heat faster.

55 litres is about right for 2 people living aboard we find, though if I had room I'd go larger in a future fit out if I could, say 70 litres.

We find a 55 litre horizontal fine, (but I could only fit horzontal, and have not had vertical to compare to).

Being buried deep under a double bed, the advantage is it is using space that wasn't very easily accessible, and hence not a lot of use for anything else.

A vertical calorfier is best (if you've got the room) because

>

>

>

you can build an airing cupboard around it - then you've got somwhere to dry your wet clothes.

Yummee...

under the bed - it always heats the bed which can be unpleasant in summer (what's that?) anyway that space is reserved for drawers and the nearly dead space behind for junk.

Edited by OldGoat

We find a 55 litre horizontal fine, (but I could only fit horzontal, and have not had vertical to compare to).

Being buried deep under a double bed, the advantage is it is using space that wasn't very easily accessible, and hence not a lot of use for anything else.

Ours is also a 55 Ltr under the bed. Saving the space won over keeping the water hotter. Besides, she was built as a holiday boat & seeing a it's hooked up to the engine, that was never an issue when cruising every day.