Water Tank (Fresh)

wiccan

Featured Posts

Is it possible to enlarge a Stainless Steel fresh water tank without removing it.

I have a relatively small tank under the well-deck which is not easily removable without taking out the fire, tiles and side units. I have had a look and can see that there is a lot of room from the top of the tank to the top of the well-deck (about 6 inches) and on either side (about 8 inches).

At the moment a full tank will last the life and I around 8 - 10 as long as we shower every other day and don't do any washing.

I know we can fill up every few days when cruising which is great and no longer a concern. However if we have visitors (who like to shower daily) and during the winter period when we don't cruise as often, we either have to move to fill up or be VERY economical with the water.

There is bound to be someone on here has either done this or knows someone who has done it.

Thanks

I should imagine it would be as expensive to try to enlarge a tank as it would to replace it.

We fitted a supplimentary tank from these: http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/ .

Would that be a possibility for you?

Our main tank is in the bow so we have a full depth cratch with 3 lockers. We put the supplimentary tank in the front locker with the main tank feeding into the second tank.

In our case I had to modify the filler cap as it was too high to allow the locker lid to go on.

dscf3678.jpg

One observation with supplimentary tanks, you may need a pressure relief valve. I also put a toilet ball valve in the supplimentary tank.

Edited by Ray T

I should imagine it would be as expensive to try to enlarge a tank as it would to replace it.

We fitted a supplimentary tank from these: http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/ .

Would that be a possibility for you?

I would say that would be the cheapest & simplest option, apart from fully replacing the existing tank with a larger one.

Our boat sounds similar to the OP's. The SS tank is not as high as it could be, but had to be that height to get it in over the BT tube. Consequently there is now a space above it unused but could almost double the tank capacity.

I reckon the tank is about 300 litres. Two of us showering daily plus all the other bits and pieces (no washing machine though) get about 8 or 9 days out of it. We have a sit bath, so navy showers work well and use much less water than a conventional shower in a cubicle. It was water usage that led to the decision to fit a sit bath - also good for washing clothes etc.

I have looked at ways to increase the capacity. One would be to partially dismantle the front of the boat, taking out the corner cupboard and bulkhead panelling on one side and sliding a second tank on top. The other option I have considered is to fit a bag tank on top. Whilst it would be nice to have more capacity we've been using the boat for over five years and it just hasn't been enough of a problem to make me get round to it.

We also keep a 25L container in the engine 'ole under the semi-trad deck for emergencies (not used it yet).

The advantage of a small tank is it doesn't take long to top it up!

When we planned our fitout we decided to fit extra polypropylene tanks under the dinette, means we have to step up onto the seating but has the added bonus of better outside viewing. Perhaps you could fit an extra one inside somewhere?

Now THAT is a stonking idea!

idea.gif

If it's difficult to access to get it out, it's going to be nigh on impossible to access it to weld extension sections on it, plus the joy of trying to weld in such an area. Don't go there...look at supplementary tanks, a complete new one, or just remind people it is a boat...not on mains water and electric!!

Now THAT is a stonking idea!

idea.gif

I have to say it wasn't my idea but copied from other boats. What was my idea was to have two tanks, one positioned midships along the boat so it doesn't affect lateral trim with the second one alongside which also acts as an adjustable balllast tank to offset our holding tank on the other side.