Tachometer for Lister JP

by'eck

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where I can obtain an original Lister JP mechanical tachometer, part # 13-14-984 if it helps?

Probably as rare as rocking horse poop I know, but have been offered a drive so just need the instrument and maybe cable, although I imagine it would be easy to have the latter made.

Does anyone know where I can obtain an original Lister JP mechanical tachometer, part # 13-14-984 if it helps?

Probably as rare as rocking horse poop I know, but have been offered a drive so just need the instrument and maybe cable, although I imagine it would be easy to have the latter made.

Not the exact part (Almost certainly a Smiths tacho).

I do have a couple of new unused old stock mechanical tachos with hour meter, made in England by Icknield instruments, 0-2500 rpm. Also some heavy duty drive cables. Do you know the rotation of your drive?

Tim

Not the exact part (Almost certainly a Smiths tacho).

I do have a couple of new unused old stock mechanical tachos with hour meter, made in England by Icknield instruments, 0-2500 rpm. Also some heavy duty drive cables. Do you know the rotation of your drive?

Tim

Thanks Tim. The drive is from the back end of water pump driveshaft (same gear for both on parts diagram) which in turn is driven from the camshaft gear, so allowing for double reversal and viewing from rear where drive cable attaches it should be anti-clockwise.

The Lister JPM manual mentions the gear type water pump I have rotating at approximately two thirds of crankshaft speed so I don't know the exact gearing. Do you have any idea?

Not sure of original tacho range, but guess it would be 0-1500 rpm for a 1200 rpm engine.

Thanks Tim. The drive is from the back end of water pump driveshaft (same gear for both on parts diagram) which in turn is driven from the camshaft gear, so allowing for double reversal and viewing from rear where drive cable attaches it should be anti-clockwise.

The Lister JPM manual mentions the gear type water pump I have rotating at approximately two thirds of crankshaft speed so I don't know the exact gearing. Do you have any idea?

Not sure of original tacho range, but guess it would be 0-1500 rpm for a 1200 rpm engine.

Probably 0-2000 originally. The hour counters on these give hours @ 1500 rpm.

They are anticlock rotation looking from behind the instrument.

It's become quite hard to find tachos of any sort for engines of modest rpm.

Tim

Probably 0-2000 originally. The hour counters on these give hours @ 1500 rpm.

They are anticlock rotation looking from behind the instrument.

It's become quite hard to find tachos of any sort for engines of modest rpm.

Tim

Thanks again Tim but given correct assumptions on drive rotation, I would need one that accepted clockwise cable rotation when viewed from back of instrument.

Thought they would be in the hens teeth category but will keep a lookout.

• 1 month later...

We have a Tacho currently for sale on ebay. Item number 281069612894. Ex MOD never been fitted, its rare as rocking horse sh1t and has a 3 figure price tag.

Also have a load of other JP stuff for sale (not all on ebay) including a JP3M complete engine with Blackstone box/reduction.

We have a Tacho currently for sale on ebay. Item number 281069612894. Ex MOD never been fitted, its rare as rocking horse sh1t and has a 3 figure price tag.

Also have a load of other JP stuff for sale (not all on ebay) including a JP3M complete engine with Blackstone box/reduction.

How can it be suitable for a JK (and lots of JPs) when it's full scale is only 1000 rpm??

Full scale would normally be well above max rated rpm, to avoid damage and to allow for overspeeding - that example has a red line at 600 rpm, so is intended for a 600 rpm engine.

Tim

Tony Redshaw had a mechanical tachometer listed on ebay a couple of days ago. I don't remember if it was Lister brand, but it was very nice, and clearly very old. Oddly it was the instrument and the cable but the drive was missing!

I've had a look but I can't find the listing now so it may have finished. I suugest you give him a call.

MtB

When you get really desperate, have a look at the ones sold by RN at Hilmorton. I know they have 'RN' on them, and they are alternator driven, but the revs are about right, and if its the info rather than the originality you are after, they may do. Not cheap, but what is on boats!!

If it has to be originality, I apologise to all JP owners for the sugestion.

Running for cover.

Many thanks for that. Beautiful looking instrument.

$T2eC16FHJGwE9n)ySd30BRKiRBMKYg~~60_1.JPG

Unfortunately as mentioned already, it only works to 1000 rpm and my JP2M is governed to 1200 rpm.

You claim its Lister part #13-14-984 which is correct for JP/JK series, so given the latter's 1500 rpm limit, I don't see how this can be.

Is it marked in any way with this number?

Edited by by'eck

When I bought the Tacho a good number of years ago, I was told it would suit a JP, there is no part number on the box - just marked Lister Tacho 0-1000. I added the part number from my manual. Despite exhaustive attempts, I was never able to source the rest of the drive parts to try it out.

Given that your engine is rated at 1200 rpm max (which I doubt you would ever achieve on the cut) what would you estimate the revs to be when you would be red lining the engine? My point being that 1000rpm max would probably suffice for a none loaded narrowboat. I will remove the part number from the ad.

PS - there is a number 50/6711 in white paint on the rear housing which I suspect is the MOD part number

Edited by Canopus36

When you get really desperate, have a look at the ones sold by RN at Hilmorton. I know they have 'RN' on them, and they are alternator driven, but the revs are about right, and if its the info rather than the originality you are after, they may do. Not cheap, but what is on boats!!

If it has to be originality, I apologise to all JP owners for the sugestion.

Running for cover.

Hi any idea how much these are? I've enquired twice but they have never phoned me back as they promised.

Hi any idea how much these are? I've enquired twice but they have never phoned me back as they promised.

phone number in the ad is 01327 700023

price £170.10 - maybe they have run out? I enquired just before christmas and they were available then. However they are listed as 'special price' for RN Register members. If you want one, why not join? Could be worth the £20 - nice colour mag every now and then!!

When I bought the Tacho a good number of years ago, I was told it would suit a JP, there is no part number on the box - just marked Lister Tacho 0-1000. I added the part number from my manual. Despite exhaustive attempts, I was never able to source the rest of the drive parts to try it out.

Given that your engine is rated at 1200 rpm max (which I doubt you would ever achieve on the cut) what would you estimate the revs to be when you would be red lining the engine? My point being that 1000rpm max would probably suffice for a none loaded narrowboat. I will remove the part number from the ad.

PS - there is a number 50/6711 in white paint on the rear housing which I suspect is the MOD part number

I think it's likely that it was intended for something like this:-

Edited by Timleech

phone number in the ad is 01327 700023

price £170.10 - maybe they have run out? I enquired just before christmas and they were available then. However they are listed as 'special price' for RN Register members. If you want one, why not join? Could be worth the £20 - nice colour mag every now and then!!

Thanks, will try them again.

• 2 months later...

I finally managed to buy and fit one of the RN tachometers. Happily it only reads 50rpm too high, the RN flywheel is 22" and the Lister one is 23", so if anything I would've thought it would read high, but its close enough. A few pictures here.

Edited by flatplane8

If it isn't too rude, of how much did CJ Diesels relieve you for their FIP and injector rebuild? Mine leaks like a sieve and is running very rich! I need to get the governor t-piece adjusted correctly as well...

If it isn't too rude, of how much did CJ Diesels relieve you for their FIP and injector rebuild? Mine leaks like a sieve and is running very rich! I need to get the governor t-piece adjusted correctly as well...

It was about £400 including VAT if I recall correctly, guess it can vary depending on what needs doing.

• 6 months later...

Hi.

I am a new member and I'm looking for a tachograph for my boat its to fit a blackstone engine 400hp. The tacho I have on it is fine but I want a second one for the bridge, she idles at 400rpm and at full steam 600 rpm the type I need works by voltage rather than pulse.

If anyone has one for sale please get in touch my mobile number is 07583168272, thanks.

If it works purely on voltage, then you could use an ordinary panel meter, a moving coil meter with suitable series resistance, and recalibrate it in RPM. You would need to measure what voltage is produced by your tachogenerator at full rpm and arrange your meter for full scale at that voltage plus a bit more. It might not 'look the part', if authentic appearance is important, but it would do the job.

Tim

Tim thanks for the tip I will look in to it, I was hoping that someone out there may have one similar to the image.

That one was a cable driven mechanical one. It didn't sell it on eBay so it may still be available from CWDF member here

• 1 month later...

The project so far.

IMG_4786.jpg

Mechanical tacho thanks to Tim Leech, has been overhauled and re-calibrated by SpeedoGraph, conveniently located in the Nottingham area where my boat currently is. A NOS drive cable was purchased on eBay, and a JK water pump shaft rear bearing carrier (thanks to MPS) has been fitted with a fabricated part in stainless to take the cables outer nut, leaving something similar to part #6 below, since its this shaft that also provides the tacho drive, running @ 1.276 x crankshaft speed. This will replace the existing bearing carrier which has no threaded stub at all.

Just completed is this mounting plate I have made from 3mm brass sheet. It bolts to the instrument mount boss on the JP's silencer.

Just left is probably the most difficult bit as depicted in this parts diagram - extracting the stub of the old drive sleeve, which appears to have been sawn off flush with the end of the shaft, leaving just the lightly splined part that provides for an interference fit in the hollow centre of pump shaft part #10. A new complete drive sleeve part #9, which I may have to have made since the one in my possession is well distorted, will then replace it. I'm hoping the extraction can be done in situ since it will save having to remove the water pump, shaft housing and stripping down the shaft and drive gear.

JP0105.jpg

Edited by by'eck