Price of Diesel

rog guiver

Featured Posts

The first part of our summer cruise is complete, that is from Napton, down the Oxford and onto the Thames to where we live. While the boat is "close at hand" changing the oils and filters seemed a good idea which took me to Reading Marine on the K&A.

We will be passing them during the next three weeks as we make our way along the K&A to Bristol and, with good weather (and a pilot) up the Seven.... enough rambling , this thread is about the price of diesel.

Fenny Compton was 55p a litre, Banbury 50p and Reading Marine 61.5p. I appreciate that prices might have changed during the last week but perhaps we could do with a "up to the minute" list of prices.

Back to our cruise, I was pinning my hopes on Better Boating at Reading but now see that they are up to 58p... should have filled up in Banbury!

We have still got 30 gallons but will need to fill up before the Seven (to get the counter a little lower in the water), has anyone got details of other outlets on the K&A?

Diesel prices seem to vary daily down there, the price at Banbury was over 60p when I was there, on top of that I had to put up with being told off by a very grumpy old bloke for, sounding my horn, mooring in the wrong place and some other heinous crime I can't recall.

Most of the places on the Thames were around 60P + Surprisingly Lechslade was the cheapest at 50p and the slightly eccentric chap let me moor there for the night without charge, a rare bit of charity on the Thames.

And the differences aren't just regional, are they ?......

At Braunston, 2 days ago.....

Braunston Marina 59 pence per litre.

Union Canal Carriers 50 pence per litre.

Guess where we went !

(Did actually see somewhere on the Wolverhampton level in Brum advertising 47.5 pence per litre, but wasn't organised enough to stop there ......)

It was around 57p at Bath Narrowboats on the K&A a few days ago. However, we always get few boats together and get a tanker out. Last time it was only 37p per litre and they deliver directly to the boat! We just moor up in Bathampton where the lorry can get near the canal and they put the line over and hey presto - 300 litres per minute and very very cheap!