Stove?

Psycloud

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm trying to identify our stove, according to the tool for turning the handles it's a Villager but I don't know what the model is. A friend of mine said it should have an ash-tray rather than having to shovel all the ash out, so I want to try and order one from somewhere.

stove(small).jpg

I've also just noticed a square "knob" on the side that the tool also fits but it seems to be jammed. Does this rake the ash?

I need to learn how to keep this thing going over night. Seems while we're up it will burn away with Pureglow (I got this after reading the Coal Types thread) but as soon as we go to bed it seems to die and the coals are unburnt - clearly I'm doing something wrong with the vent?

And finally, what can I put on the glass to stop it blacking as soon as the fire is lit?

Thanks

David

Edited by Psycloud

Yello,

The square knob on the side should move maybe 90 degrees when you turn it to change the bottom grill from big squares (wood) I think to smaller off set squares (coal) ..... although it's handy for shuffling the dead ash out into a (missing) ash pan to keep the air flow coming up through the fire.

There's normally an air wash control to keep a layer of air passing down over the glass to stop it blacking so much .... but I can't see it on your stove.

Keeping the fire burning over night is a matter of experience. You need to load the ( hot ) fire up with coal and have just enough vent open to keep the coal slowly but steadily burning all night. Easy to say, but not always easy to get right.

Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

David, Villager is a stove make in its own right & looking at your picture, it might be their Esprit or Chelsea model. The tech specs with dimensions etc.:

http://www.villager.co.uk/public/pdfs/villager-stoves-technical-info.pdf'>http://www.villager.co.uk/public/pdfs/villager-stoves-technical-info.pdf

Their website:

http://www.villager.co.uk/

Hope that's useful buddy.

Edited by Spuds

Yello,

The square knob on the side should move maybe 90 degrees when you turn it to change the bottom grill from big squares (wood) I think to smaller off set squares (coal) ..... although it's handy for shuffling the dead ash out into a (missing) ash pan to keep the air flow coming up through the fire.

There's normally an air wash control to keep a layer of air passing down over the glass to stop it blacking so much .... but I can't see it on your stove.

Keeping the fire burning over night is a matter of experience. You need to load the fire up with coal and have just enough vent open to keep the coal slowly but steadily burning all night.

Malc. B)

Thanks Malc - I've given it some welly and can get it to turn through may be 45 degrees and can see something happening inside. Not sure whether up or down is coal though :)

David, Villager is a stove make in its own right & looking at your picture, it might be their Esprit or Chelsea model. The tech specs with dimensions etc.:

http://www.villager.co.uk/public/pdfs/villager-stoves-technical-info.pdf'>http://www.villager.co.uk/public/pdfs/villager-stoves-technical-info.pdf

Their website:

http://www.villager.co.uk/

Hope that's useful buddy.

Thanks Ade - I'm going to email them and see what to do re: ashpan :)

You could email villager with the photo to confirm which model, mark 1 etc and buy spares too. As said a villager chelsea duo :cheers: .

My link

The ashpan and all spare parts are available from villager or at online retailers under villager Chelsea stove spares.

My link

The square thing is to riddle the multifuel grate to get rid of excess ash. The door opening tool also operates this.

With regards to keeping the fire in it is really trial and error as unburnt fuel indicates that the fire needed more air, ie the lower slider vents more open. likewise if all the fuel is burnt less air. Also let the fuel burn somewhat before closing up the air supply, this way the coal gets burning. Try different fuels.

James :cheers:

You could email villager with the photo to confirm which model, mark 1 etc and buy spares too. As said a villager chelsea duo :cheers: .

My link

The ashpan and all spare parts are available from villager or at online retailers under villager Chelsea stove spares.

My link

The square thing is to riddle the multifuel grate to get rid of excess ash. The door opening tool also operates this.

With regards to keeping the fire in it is really trial and error as unburnt fuel indicates that the fire needed more air, ie the lower slider vents more open. likewise if all the fuel is burnt less air. Also let the fuel burn somewhat before closing up the air supply, this way the coal gets burning. Try different fuels.

James :cheers:

I did manage to get a quick reply from them and ordered the pan which came today, I used it to scoop out and entire load of ash in 1 go and promptly tipped the lot into my trainers as I missed the empty coal bag by a country mile - doh! Thanks for the all help everyone :)

Get it good and hot, that clears the glass. I have a Boatman stove that doesn't have a top vent. The glass will blacken slightly if the heat is on low, but it doesn't have to be turned up hot for long before that burns off and the glass all areas clear again.

Get it good and hot, that clears the glass. I have a Boatman stove that doesn't have a top vent. The glass will blacken slightly if the heat is on low, but it doesn't have to be turned up hot for long before that burns off and the glass appears clear again.