winter, anything I've missed?

kevinl

Featured Posts

I have a raw water cooled Vetus engine, so if I close the valve that lets the water in (I'd call it a seacock but somebody would only correct me) disconnect the hose at the water pump end (lowest part of the system) then disconnect the hose on the other side of the water pump that goes up to the heat exchanger all the water is drained out. Top end of the heat exchanger hose drops into the plastic box the exhaust vents into, do I need to drain this too, sock the water out some how? When I've done all this and checked the anti freeze in the engine side of the heat exchanger is OK am I ready for the impending "worst winter for 100 years" we've been promised?

Water system has been drained, toilet, sink etc sorted and the water tank emptied, have I miised anything?

I'll take that as a no then

I have the same arrangement as you, but in such a tight space that it's very difficult to get to the raw water system, so I simply replace the water in it with antifreeze mixture (poured into the strainer while the engine is running.

I see no reason to drain the water tank, as long as it's not absolutely full, to allow for expansion on freezing.

I have the same arrangement as you, but in such a tight space that it's very difficult to get to the raw water system, so I simply replace the water in it with antifreeze mixture (poured into the strainer while the engine is running.

How do you get the anti-freeze out after winter?

I have a raw water cooled Vetus engine, so if I close the valve that lets the water in (I'd call it a seacock but somebody would only correct me) disconnect the hose at the water pump end (lowest part of the system) then disconnect the hose on the other side of the water pump that goes up to the heat exchanger all the water is drained out. Top end of the heat exchanger hose drops into the plastic box the exhaust vents into, do I need to drain this too, sock the water out some how? When I've done all this and checked the anti freeze in the engine side of the heat exchanger is OK am I ready for the impending "worst winter for 100 years" we've been promised?

Water system has been drained, toilet, sink etc sorted and the water tank emptied, have I miised anything?

You read the Daily Express, then? :o

Loosen the screws on the raw water pump cover.

Your 'plastic box' ought to be OK if, as it should be, it's only part full of water, might be at risk if it's somehow filled up. If in doubt, take some out. It doesn't need to be bone dry.

Tim

It is a seacock. :cheers:

Tim