Close to making an offer - info please

Alanji

Featured Posts

I have posted on other threads about buying a boat and was told the boat would choose me - well I think it has! I am waiting for the broker to come back on some works to be carried out prior to purchase. Would much appreciate views/comments on the following points.

1) I know we have to be careful on identifying brokers - let me just say it is a city name usually associated with the Sheriff of Robin Hood - please PM if you do not wish to post comments. They seem very genuine and helpful but they are after all trying to make a sale!

2) 2004 build by SWD Steelcraft. Seem to be OK - http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44981 It is not an ex-hire and one owner from new.

3) Sewage tank (steel) is below floorboards and not easily accessible - is this normal and likely to cause a problem? No comments on pump out please _ I have decided on that.

4) Any comments on Reflecks diesel stove reliability or anything else?

5) Beta Marine 35hp engine. I have asked about hours run. Any comments? I know nothing about marine engines but think Beta is a good make from posts on here.

6) Rick Tropman has been recommended as surveyor. No results for a search on here. Anyone used him? Very reasonable fee at £350.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Alan

I have posted on other threads about buying a boat and was told the boat would choose me - well I think it has! I am waiting for the broker to come back on some works to be carried out prior to purchase. Would much appreciate views/comments on the following points.

1) I know we have to be careful on identifying brokers - let me just say it is a city name usually associated with the Sheriff of Robin Hood - please PM if you do not wish to post comments. They seem very genuine and helpful but they are after all trying to make a sale!

2) 2004 build by SWD Steelcraft. Seem to be OK - http://www.canalworl...showtopic=44981 It is not an ex-hire and one owner from new.

3) Sewage tank (steel) is below floorboards and not easily accessible - is this normal and likely to cause a problem? No comments on pump out please _ I have decided on that.

4) Any comments on Reflecks diesel stove reliability or anything else?

5) Beta Marine 35hp engine. I have asked about hours run. Any comments? I know nothing about marine engines but think Beta is a good make from posts on here.

6) Rick Tropman has been recommended as surveyor. No results for a search on here. Anyone used him? Very reasonable fee at £350.

Alan

1) & 2) Can't comment on the broker or the builder.

3) Sewage tanks are often inaccessible. Doesn't stop 'em going rusty though, and DOES stop you finding out until too late.

4) Refleks stoves have a good reputation for reliability. Simple design easy to fix on the rare occasion they do go wrong. I have one myself, but as it isn't installed yet, I'm not commenting from personal experience!

5) I had a Beta Marine 35 in my last NB. Good reliable piece of kit but prone to overheating if thrashed upstream for hours on end. Engine hours shown on the dial in the centre of the rev counter that would have been a mileometer in a car....

6) Can't comment on Rick. Never heard of him.

MtB

We purchased a SWD narrowboat a couple of years ago (Moonshadow) and have been very pleased with our purchase. Again this was not an ex-hire boat and unlike the hire boats has a pair of doors at the bows. At the recent repaint (back to bare steel) the boatyard commented on the fact that the hull was well built and solid. Internally (ash faced ply and ash trimmings) some of the trims have come adrift and a previous owner has refixed them with panel pins rather than the original secret fixings -something we can live with for now !

Engine is a Beta-marine 38hp with 4500 hours on the clock and runs well apartfrom the air filter casing parted at the welds, again a minor item. We previously had a share in a Ownership boat with excess of 10000 hours so felt that there was penty of life for us at 4500 hours.

Not sure if the waste tank is stainless or mild steel ? The intergral water tank is reported as being stainless but with no inspection hatch this cannot be confirmed.

We also have a reflex stove with connection to three radiators. Initially we could not light it, but had it serviced with a new thermal couple and it has served us well over the last few months, internally in the cabin we recorded a temperature of 35 deg C, so its works well. ran it continously for 9 days recently without any problems. Can be fiddly to light until you get use to the required proceedures, but once mastered its fine.

The hot water calorifier is located below the steps to the rear cruiser stern. Hot water tends to run out quickly but feel that this may be a combination of small calorifier size and mixer taps on the outlets, again a minor item in our book.

A good mid priced range boat in our opinion- see Apolloduct for samples for sale , always seem to be 2-4 available to compare against.

Good luck with your enquiries / hunting

Plastic is fairly common and is OK (if properly made)

Stainless steel is good. and if well made it will last forever.

Mild steel is OK but will eventually rust through.

Mild and stainless steel do not mix. Mine is stainless but had mild steel fittings (pedestal fixing, internal pipe, and hose fixing); all the fittings rusted away but the stainless is fine.

It is quite common for the tank to be fairly well hidden.

Thanks for all the useful replies, already.

I think the sewage tank is ordinary steel - not stainless.

The digital dial is not showing a reading. Quite a common occurrence due to dampness, I am told, but can be resolved by taking out and placing in a warm place for a while?

Boatingbuyer - sounds a very similar boat. As with you the water tank is said to be stainless steel. Not sure if it can be verified - will find out if I proceed to a survey. It has a sit-bath so presumably enough hot water to fill, although I will not be filling it!

Alanji,

Yes I forgot to say our hours run meter display is intermittant, works well in summer. I spoke to Beta Marine who advised agianst replacement but remove the instrument to a warm airing cupboard or similar for a few days- have not tried this yet, but meter continues to record even if no display.

Boatingbiker

Sorry if I'm 'hi-jacking' this thread but while we're on the subject of toilet tanks, the one on the boat I'm buying looks to be of a rigid plastic construction. Is this common and are they okay?

We had a rigid Plastic one on our boat. I took it out when it was about 20 years old, because we never used it. Yhe steel fixing omponents for the toilet fell apart (from rust) when we removed it, but the tank was fine, it was cleaned out and as far as I know is on another boat now.

Rick Tropman has been recommended as surveyor. No results for a search on here. Anyone used him? Very reasonable fee at £350.

Alan

Yes, he is the gentleman who did my recent survey on Delilah. I found him to be very thorough, prompt and extremely amiable on the telephone! I do recommend him, for what it's worth, but I am not knowledgeable about boats. He came recommended to me however, so that's a good thing...

I met Rick last week when looking and he seemed a very nice guy, thanks for your confirmation. I have put a deposit on a boat and am waiting to hear when he can do a survey.

Fingers crossed!