Help sought re living on a boat & finding one first!

Salopgal

Featured Posts

Yep, but as you live in Bridgnorth, it doesn't count as I think Shropshire keeps us looking young!!

Isn't it just a wonderful part of the world. And thank you for your kind comments about my new boat. But the big question, do I rename it. Currently Aotearoa but considering changing it to either Obelix or Gussie Fink Nottle

Isn't it just a wonderful part of the world. And thank you for your kind comments about my new boat. But the big question, do I rename it. Currently Aotearoa but considering changing it to either Obelix or Gussie Fink Nottle

I'm liking Gussie fink Nottle!! :lol:

Congrats Salopgirl...long may she be the home of your dreams, and...welcome to a lovely community too, especiallt now you are 'nearly' a boater.

Don't rule out moving her sometimes. You'll be nervous, especially when she is your home, but the joys of a short break out with your home, are exceptional.

Also....how about meeting some of us for a banter? The Christmas one is coming up, and it'd be great to meet you! :cheers:

Hi Ally

I really wish I could meet up/come to the Christmas do, but sadly my Hyperacusis prevents me from being anywhere where there are quite a few people and noise and Christmas stuff is all of that. It's a real shame and is why I have a pretty lousy social life. I have to 'pick my battles' hearing wise in that I do put myself in noisy situations but only if there's an escape route. That's why I was so relieved that the test run on Friday went so well. If I'd have had sound sensitivity pain with the engine, I'd have been devastated, but as it was, all was fine, even when the engine was being thrashed!

Really appreciate the invite though! Perhaps one at a time!

Spent an absolutely fabulous afternoon today with two friends who live on a 60 foot narrowboat and don't have a permanent mooring. They are only 22 miles away just now so they showed me around, gave me some handy hints on creating more storage space and we just had a great time 'chewing the fat'. They gave me cake and ginger beer - marvellous!! Glad I did an hour's exercise this morning to make up for the extra calories!!

Right, time to go and finish washing up...

TTFN

K x

• 2 months later...

Oh I would keep Aotearoa "Land of the Long White Cloud"!

I have read this thread with great ingterest as my husband and I (no, we're not royalty) have decided to sell up and buy a boat to live on with our two dogs (Labradors) and two cats - we live in North Cheshire/Greater manchester at present and are hoping to buy a cruiser style nb (price range £30k).

We want a mortgage free life and are selling the house and "investing" the equity, my husband can't work and I earn just over £230pw, but obviously need to go to work (near Stockport) four days pw. We think we can survive with travel etc. WE will pronbably need to be on a mooring or in a marina to start off with.

We have been looking online at Venetian Marina's website and the sister one in Northampton, plus loads of others adn I now have the names of three more - we aren't far from Lymm either so are ging there to look.

We realise this isn't a "cheap option" but a better quality of life option and as my husband hasn't been well, we are hoping the less stressful way of ife will be better for him. Also, i am planning on compressing hours to work a four day week, which will give us much needed time together and the social life will be better.

Will keep reading this forum and chhecking out al the pros and cons (Although I think there are more pros than cons from my perspective!)

Don't forget most sign writers charge by the letter :cheers:

Oh I would keep Aotearoa "Land of the Long White Cloud"!

I have read this thread with great ingterest as my husband and I (no, we're not royalty) have decided to sell up and buy a boat to live on with our two dogs (Labradors) and two cats - we live in North Cheshire/Greater manchester at present and are hoping to buy a cruiser style nb (price range £30k).

We want a mortgage free life and are selling the house and "investing" the equity, my husband can't work and I earn just over £230pw, but obviously need to go to work (near Stockport) four days pw. We think we can survive with travel etc. WE will pronbably need to be on a mooring or in a marina to start off with.

We have been looking online at Venetian Marina's website and the sister one in Northampton, plus loads of others adn I now have the names of three more - we aren't far from Lymm either so are ging there to look.

We realise this isn't a "cheap option" but a better quality of life option and as my husband hasn't been well, we are hoping the less stressful way of ife will be better for him. Also, i am planning on compressing hours to work a four day week, which will give us much needed time together and the social life will be better.

Will keep reading this forum and chhecking out al the pros and cons (Although I think there are more pros than cons from my perspective!)

If you're going to work less days but longer hours the nearer the better to your place of work, I've not found any residential moorings (without a long waiting list) near Stockport. There's the Marple Bridge area or the Peak Forest which are the nearest after that you're on to the Bridgewater: Lymm area or Sale/Stretford. Good luck in your search and if you come up with anything let me know.

Edited by kevinl