NBs Freyja and Christina have finally arrived!

Chop!

Featured Posts

We left Church Minshall on October 1st, trying to get our pair to the River Nene by 12th October.

Our first problem came when we tried to make a tight turn at Middlewich, we were still cross-strapped so Christina stopped Freyja from turning, made a right pig's ear of it! :blush:

Then, next morning, we set off from Kings lock and the engine started playing up, sometimes revving uncontrollably, the speed-wheel had no effect, so the only way to slow down was to put it in neutral and rev like hell or clonk into reverse ( so sorry if we passed you revving our nuts off!)

Then suddenly the revs would die and we'd be left idling along at about 1 mph, we were being overtaken by little old ladies out for a walk!

The lift pump seemed to be playing up, so we arranged to get a new one delivered to the Wedgewood Centre, made a gasket for it then took the old one off, they were completely different :(

The old one was full of diesel bug etc.cleaned it out and re-fitted it and made better progress.

At Kidsgrove our exhaust fell to bits, we made a new one from bits kindly sorted by Red Bull boatyard.

We bumped into forum member Brian, in the Blue Bell, and arranged for him and Anne Marie to drop off some coal the next morning.

I was terrified we'd breakdown in the Harecastle Tunnel but we made it through OK

Then the raw water pump fell off. Bolted it back on with a locknut.

Heritage swapped our lift-pump for the right one so when Freyja started playing up again I decided to fit it and change the recently fitted fuel filter, which was full of water and diesel bug.

Glenda came just at that moment and was very upset to see our pride & joy in bits ;o(

Off we went again, we stopped when it got dark, as usual, but instead of finding a pub, we stayed on board and cooked some steaks on top of the range. As we finished them there was a loud hiss which came from the stern, there was smoke or steam coming from the engine bay, as I reached it, it burst into flames! The wiring to the solenoid was on fire and had ignited the oil and diesel on the engine, put it out, separated the wires and tried shorting the solenoid, she started again. So next morning I started her by shorting the solenoid then we went to Stretton Wharf and bought some new connectors, now she was charging again.

We were still having problems with crap in the diesel, we struggled on, losing more and more time.

Then all my crew had to leave at Sutton Stop so I had to single man them for two days and made good progress.

We got them to the top of the Rothersthorpe flight on the Northampton Arm and Freyja stalled and refused to restart, the starter had finally given up.

So, next morning we bow-hauled them both, a CRT guy said the pounds were low and to keep in the middle, so I poled Christina across one shallow pound, but when I tried to pole across the next, it was far too deep, after rowing with a pole! I eventually reached the mouth of the lock, as I centred her, the pole slipped, I slipped and fell, cracked my head on the lockside and landed in the water twixt the lock and the boat. Lost my works phone and my driving glasses in the process.

At the bottom of the flight I had to leave to go to work and left my mates Dave & Gary to babysit them on the lock moorings. We got the diesel polished and RCR came out but quoted a high price to tow us or fix it so

Clive at Willy Watts came out and fitted a new starter, filters etc. and moved them to the EA's Northampton Marina as the Nene was on stop.

Tol from Willy Watts came to help my mates on the river as we were told that it would close next day to take water out.

They got past the low water section only to get stuck by a red flag at Billing Lock.

I rejoined them a few days later and we fixed a few rotten water pipes that had contributed to some overheating problems and some guy passed through the other way saying the river was now open, so we set off for Wellingborough, Glenda told me to check the book before setting off, but didn't say why, if she had, then I would have known that I needed to keep right over to the left at Cogenhoe Mill Lock, but she didn't, I didn't read the pertinent bit, ans as a result got dragged into Cogenhoe Mill Marina by the flow from the open sluice gate, it was super stressful trying not to bump anyone's boats!

But they were all very nice there and allowed us to moor until the river went down and then entertained us in The Crow's Nest bar ;o)

Toll came back with some mates but got stuck again 2 locks from Ringstead, he slept on them that night, so finally, on Tuesday night 23rd October, they arrived at Blackthorne Marina after dark.

We breathed a huge sigh of relief! I should have taken a documentary crew!

Pics here

There'll be a lot more pics when Dave uploads them.

Edited by Chop!

WHAT an experience! Congratulations Chop and Glenda, so glad you got to your destination in the end, I bet you'll never forget that journey!

Well done!

:cheers:

Thanks Sue & Phil

It was a once in a lifetime experience, and that's how I'd like it to remain!

Now it time to tackle the rotting wood, engine problems, dodgy electrics, leaks etc. etc. :help:

Well done!

As you say.... a once in a lifetime experience (until the next time ;) )

edit:

BTW - Zanya, if your bloke really want to still get to grips with a fuel tank, I recon Chop could do with a hand :)

Edited by Proper Job

I can't wait to see photos of the chickens in the coop and the produce from your greenhouse! ;)

We'll have to work to earn enough to fix them up, so won't be on them often enough to have chickens or high maintenance plants in the near future.

So the 'Colonel Towpath's Canal Fried Chicken' empire is on hold! LOL!

We left Church Minshall on October 1st, trying to get our pair to the River Nene by 12th October.

Our first problem came when we tried to make a tight turn at Middlewich, we were still cross-strapped so Christina stopped Freyja from turning, made a right pig's ear of it! :blush:

Then, next morning, we set off from Kings lock and the engine started playing up, sometimes revving uncontrollably, the speed-wheel had no effect, so the only way to slow down was to put it in neutral and rev like hell or clonk into reverse ( so sorry if we passed you revving our nuts off!)

Then suddenly the revs would die and we'd be left idling along at about 1 mph, we were being overtaken by little old ladies out for a walk!

The lift pump seemed to be playing up, so we arranged to get a new one delivered to the Wedgewood Centre, made a gasket for it then took the old one off, they were completely different :(

The old one was full of diesel bug etc.cleaned it out and re-fitted it and made better progress.

At Kidsgrove our exhaust fell to bits, we made a new one from bits kindly sorted by Red Bull boatyard.

We bumped into forum member Brian, in the Blue Bell, and arranged for him and Anne Marie to drop off some coal the next morning.

I was terrified we'd breakdown in the Harecastle Tunnel but we made it through OK

Then the raw water pump fell off. Bolted it back on with a locknut.

Heritage swapped our lift-pump for the right one so when Freyja started playing up again I decided to fit it and change the recently fitted fuel filter, which was full of water and diesel bug.

Glenda came just at that moment and was very upset to see our pride & joy in bits ;o(

Off we went again, we stopped when it got dark, as usual, but instead of finding a pub, we stayed on board and cooked some steaks on top of the range. As we finished them there was a loud hiss which came from the stern, there was smoke or steam coming from the engine bay, as I reached it, it burst into flames! The wiring to the solenoid was on fire and had ignited the oil and diesel on the engine, put it out, separated the wires and tried shorting the solenoid, she started again. So next morning I started her by shorting the solenoid then we went to Stretton Wharf and bought some new connectors, now she was charging again.

We were still having problems with crap in the diesel, we struggled on, losing more and more time.

Then all my crew had to leave at Sutton Stop so I had to single man them for two days and made good progress.

We got them to the top of the Rothersthorpe flight on the Northampton Arm and Freyja stalled and refused to restart, the starter had finally given up.

So, next morning we bow-hauled them both, a CRT guy said the pounds were low and to keep in the middle, so I poled Christina across one shallow pound, but when I tried to pole across the next, it was far too deep, after rowing with a pole! I eventually reached the mouth of the lock, as I centred her, the pole slipped, I slipped and fell, cracked my head on the lockside and landed in the water twixt the lock and the boat. Lost my works phone and my driving glasses in the process.

At the bottom of the flight I had to leave to go to work and left my mates Dave & Gary to babysit them on the lock moorings. We got the diesel polished and RCR came out but quoted a high price to tow us or fix it so

Clive at Willy Watts came out and fitted a new starter, filters etc. and moved them to the EA's Northampton Marina as the Nene was on stop.

Tol from Willy Watts came to help my mates on the river as we were told that it would close next day to take water out.

They got past the low water section only to get stuck by a red flag at Billing Lock.

I rejoined them a few days later and we fixed a few rotten water pipes that had contributed to some overheating problems and some guy passed through the other way saying the river was now open, so we set off for Wellingborough, Glenda told me to check the book before setting off, but didn't say why, if she had, then I would have known that I needed to keep right over to the left at Cogenhoe Mill Lock, but she didn't, I didn't read the pertinent bit, ans as a result got dragged into Cogenhoe Mill Marina by the flow from the open sluice gate, it was super stressful trying not to bump anyone's boats!

But they were all very nice there and allowed us to moor until the river went down and then entertained us in The Crow's Nest bar ;o)

Toll came back with some mates but got stuck again 2 locks from Ringstead, he slept on them that night, so finally, on Tuesday night 23rd October, they arrived at Blackthorne Marina after dark.

We breathed a huge sigh of relief! I should have taken a documentary crew!

Pics here

There'll be a lot more pics when Dave uploads them.

Wel done Chop, glad you finally made it. I look forward to buying you a drink at the Thatchers.

Wow! It certainly sounds as if you had a baptism of fire! Congratulations on arriving at last with the boats and more importantly yourself relatively unscathed (well physically at least ;)). I reckon if you can comfortably deal with that lot the rest should be a doddle! Well done. :clapping: I think I'd have been a gibbering wreck with just half of those problems!

So when are we going to see you in one of tbe village pubs or in the social club?

I come off this tour tomorrow, clean bus , make beds (16 of them!) then out around Europe, Scandinavia & Eastern block for 2 & 1/2 weeks then 2 days to get bus ready and off around Europe again, need the dosh after all those troubles and paying my mates food & booze for 3 weeks!

So prob towards the end of November, but that could change.................Look forward to the odd sniff of the barmaid's apron and the chance to talk a load of bollox with like minded old coots like myself! :cheers:

Well done guys, talk about in at the deep end! But you will look back on your journey and laugh. :captain:

Maybe, when the scars have healed (literally!) and when my fingerprints have grown back (having trouble getting the fingerprint recognition to work on my laptop)

And when al the bills are paid & I've forgotten how much it cost! The good thing about getting old, you can't remember the bad stuff for long! LOL!

Wow! It certainly sounds as if you had a baptism of fire! Congratulations on arriving at last with the boats and more importantly yourself relatively unscathed (well physically at least ;)). I reckon if you can comfortably deal with that lot the rest should be a doddle! Well done. :clapping: I think I'd have been a gibbering wreck with just half of those problems!

Glenda got very stressed by it all, but each problem seemed to be insurmountable at first but with a bit on ingenuity we lived to fight another day.

We knew they needed work and got them at a price commensurate with that, but on the journey down it became clear that we have our work cut out! LOL!

So Chop, I was just looking at your photographs and saw number two.

I thought, hm,looks a bit familiar so called to my house-mate, come and look at this photy.

What, she said, are you doing on that boat?

Not me quoth I.

Bloody liar she said it is too!

Tint, said I.

Tis said she and when were you on that boat?

Wasn't said I.

Bloody liar she said!

I'm doomed to roam the canals in absentia, for ever.

So Chop, I was just looking at your photographs and saw number two.

I thought, hm,looks a bit familiar so called to my house-mate, come and look at this photy.

What, she said, are you doing on that boat?

Not me quoth I.

Bloody liar she said it is too!

Tint, said I.

Tis said she and when were you on that boat?

Wasn't said I.

Bloody liar she said!

I'm doomed to roam the canals in absentia, for ever.

What, you've got a double? I wondered why the beer and food bill was so high.

:) what an epic journey but you did it :) woverly pictures... hmm... I even thought I spotted a 'Green Man' must be because Samhain is slowly round the corner :)

brightest blessings for the rest of your travels :)

Diolch Tree

I think it will be a lot of repairing, replacing, upgrading, cleaning, painting and not much steering for the next few months ;o(

Dyna fel y mae e, ond ydi?

Too right, but I don't remember the food and the beer, perhaps you'd better send me a reminder :cheers:

OK...........Do you remember all that beer you drank, and the nosebag?????????????????????????????????

How's that? LOL!

Edited by Chop!

Alas!!! Chop even though I can make myself understood a lickle in Welsh, its ruddy hard to read it. I have lived here in a beautiful south( mining )valley for over 10yrs and I have tried, honest guv :) and have given myself 6 months to learn ( Swansea Uni course) so fingers crossed :) mind you after that I am on my way to North Wales so will have to then learn 'GOG'.....I always like a challenge :)

Mind you all my 'saplings' learnt to speak,read and write it at school :)

diolch yn fawr :)

I come off this tour tomorrow, clean bus , make beds (16 of them!) then out around Europe, Scandinavia & Eastern block for 2 & 1/2 weeks then 2 days to get bus ready and off around Europe again, need the dosh after all those troubles and paying my mates food & booze for 3 weeks!

So prob towards the end of November, but that could change..............

So who do you drive for ?

I spent 20 plus years travelling for work on Len Wright coaches and similar

I have assumed that its the same industry

J

So who do you drive for ?

I spent 20 plus years travelling for work on Len Wright coaches and similar

I have assumed that its the same industry

J

I drive for Y-NOT, been driving the same Vanhool for 13 years! Before that Starline and Nova

Edited by Chop!

We'll done Chop, I admire you're powers of perseverance! The pair must get through! It can only get easier from here on in.

Don't mention on here when you are selling any of you're amazing vehicle collection as it's better that I don't know ;-).

Best of luck with all your future plans (you deserve some!).

Cheers, Brian

I drive for Y-NOT, been driving the same Vanhool for 13 years! Before that Starline and Nova

I gave up the touring life in 1997 after 30 years decided I was getting a bit old...........

Must be careful not to recount to many stories if we ever meet in the pub!

We'll done Chop, I admire you're powers of perseverance! The pair must get through! It can only get easier from here on in.

Don't mention on here when you are selling any of you're amazing vehicle collection as it's better that I don't know ;-).

Best of luck with all your future plans (you deserve some!).

Cheers, Brian

Hi Brian & Anne Marie

It was quite a trial! I actually left out about 2/3 of the problems we had, as I didn't want to bore people to tears! LOL!

Now comes the hard bit, selling the stuff I've collected over the last 40 years ;o( I'll probably start by selling some of the bicycles and an old Triumph sloper engine. And some of the old motorbike bits, which were once junk and gold ;o)

I've got to get the bubblecar & folding caravan finished as they take up the most room (and are worth the most!)

Then start on the motorbikes.........

Hope your both OK and you aren't having any of my type of problems!