Sterling Pro Charge 20

debbifiggy

Featured Posts

Have any other forum members experienced the sudden failure of a Sterling Pro Charge Battery Charger/Power Pack?

We thought we'd had a power cut on Monday night when all the 240v system went off. Didn't worry about it at the time as it was dark and nearly bed time. Just turned on the 12v lights, finished dinner and went to bed. Following morning discovered no power cut but power tripped out at mooring 240 v supply to boat. Tested main trip in boat, don't think it's working. Then proceeded to test all 240 appliances for a possible problem and checking fuses. The only thing that is a problem is the Sterling Pro Charge 20 which seems to be totally dead. It's been wired in permenently and on for approx 3 and half years except when out cruising.

Can it be repaired or do we need to fork out another £300 plus for a new one. Or should we look at something else to keep our batteries and 12 v system in fine fettle?

The OH is going to call Sterling today to see what they say but I'd be interested to hear your ideas too.

Thanks in advance,

Debbi

When an old 50 amp version failed I shipped it back to Sterling's for repair. They found severe corrosion on the main board putting it beyond economical repair, but they offered 33% off a new one.

BTW although it lasted a year after the event, the failure was traced to a previous leak from a nearby water maker high pressure pump spraying salt water on it, so no complaints.

Can it be repaired or do we need to fork out another £300 plus for a new one. Or should we look at something else to keep our batteries and 12 v system in fine fettle?

Check and clean all the connections to the batteries and check the fuses and clean the holders on the 12v side.

Edit: Actually looking at your problem that's probably not the cause.

If you do need a new charger there are some cheaper ones out there these days so you shouldn't need to spend that much.

This looks like a good deal for a 30amp double output charger:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULLY-AUTOMATIC-3-STAGE-MARINE-BATTERY-CHARGER-12V-30A-/180865080349?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item2a1c661c1d

Edited by blackrose

When an old 50 amp version failed I shipped it back to Sterling's for repair. They found severe corrosion on the main board putting it beyond economical repair, but they offered 33% off a new one.

BTW although it lasted a year after the event, the failure was traced to a previous leak from a nearby water maker high pressure pump spraying salt water on it, so no complaints.

Thanks to everyone so far who's replied. I am wondering if corrosion is going to be a factor due to the location of the charger. The only place we could mount it was under the stern door steps .... I'll report back tomorrow.

D

Thanks to everyone so far who's replied. I am wondering if corrosion is going to be a factor due to the location of the charger. The only place we could mount it was under the stern door steps .... I'll report back tomorrow.

D

is that when you get back from the pub?

did the fuse work?

Oddly enough we've just had our ProCharge 20 replaced free of charge.. On a marina and plugged in to the mains, so only realised the charger wasn't working when the lights went all dim! Our much respected marine electrician is convinced there's a built-in flaw, and she's taken a few back to be replaced...in our case without questions even being asked. Replacement will depend on how old it is i.e. over/under 2 years.

is that when you get back from the pub?

did the fuse work?

Fuse blew immediately. Interior was inspected and no corrosion and beautifully clean. OH taking entire unit to Sterling tomorrow and we'll see if it can be repaired.

D

Oddly enough we've just had our ProCharge 20 replaced free of charge.. On a marina and plugged in to the mains, so only realised the charger wasn't working when the lights went all dim! Our much respected marine electrician is convinced there's a built-in flaw, and she's taken a few back to be replaced...in our case without questions even being asked. Replacement will depend on how old it is i.e. over/under 2 years.

That's interesting. I doubt we'll get a replacement, more likely a repair as unit is over 3 years old. I'll let you know the outcome. We've been promised a same day repair.

Fuse blew immediately. Interior was inspected and no corrosion and beautifully clean. OH taking entire unit to Sterling tomorrow and we'll see if it can be repaired.

D

That's interesting. I doubt we'll get a replacement, more likely a repair as unit is over 3 years old. I'll let you know the outcome. We've been promised a same day repair.

Having tried to communicate with Mr Sterling by email, letter and finally phone getting a very abrupt conversation out of him he is not someone I would chose to do business with.

However saying that I have heard from others that he is very good when any of his equipment fails so you may be pleasantly surprised.

Having tried to communicate with Mr Sterling by email, letter and finally phone getting a very abrupt conversation out of him he is not someone I would chose to do business with.

However saying that I have heard from others that he is very good when any of his equipment fails so you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have to give Sterling top marks for service. The OH drove up to Droitwich today with the faulty charger. It has been exchanged for a brand new one for no charge and they apologised for the inconvenience. Definitely worth the petrol money!

We are both very happy indeed. I have to say that we've been very happy with the performance of the old charger until it suddenly failed.

Debbi

:cheers:

I'd suspect something like the transient suppressors on the mains input (designed to deal with the transients that don't exist...) These will work fine for years then suddenly go short circuit and blow the fuses. What they've done is over the years is to protect the unit from all sorts of spikes on the mains input however each one will weaken the device slightly. Eventually they just give up and blow short circuit blowing the mains fuses. If it is this they can be replaced and the unit should work ok, at least until another big transient hits it!

We've just had this on the central heating timer at home. Whole lot went off due to a failed? transient suppressor. It had worked for 18 years.

Edited by Chalky

I have to give Sterling top marks for service. The OH drove up to Droitwich today with the faulty charger. It has been exchanged for a brand new one for no charge and they apologised for the inconvenience. Definitely worth the petrol money!

We are both very happy indeed. I have to say that we've been very happy with the performance of the old charger until it suddenly failed.

Debbi

:cheers:

A good result Debbi.