A new type of toilet you wont need to empty!

Featured Posts

We are about to trial a new system based around a normal pump out toilet which will pump waste into a small collection tank from which a small quantity at a time will be automatically transferred into a diesel fired incineration unit, the small amount of resulting ash will then be collected into a container for safe disposal every few months.

I think the system might be probably more suited to larger inland waterways boats but the system does sound very good in principle but like most of these ideas we will have to see how it all works out!

If anyone would be interested in details of the system then drop me a message and I will get back to you with more details after we have finished a trial on it and I am sure it is a viable system.

Edited by Gary Peacock

This sounds interesting in principle for liveaboards, I'm sure you'll post results when you've done your tests.

It also sounds like it will probably be an expensive system, what sort of numbers are we talking about?

I guess the incinerator will be used to heat the boat, ideal in winter but in the summer????.

It may/will work but the running costs will need looking into, initial installation, diesel cost and maintenance, against that of a normal pump out.

Look forward to your findings.

We are about to trial a new system based around a normal pump out toilet... diesel fired incineration unit

Gary - please add me to the list of interested spectators for the above...

I take it that in the event of a failure of the incinerator, the pumpout would be used in the normal way?

Also - I've been reading about composting toilets which seem to work well onland, but remain unproven (in my opinion) for canal boat use. Do you have any experience of fitting these?

...I'm sure you'll post results when you've done your tests.

If you do post the results - please send them to Moley and not myself...

Oh - and be sure you send them in a well sealed, leakproof envelope! LOL

Allan

Edited by AllanW

It sounds like the burner is continuous and therefore the whole process. That would be OK for live aboards but I would not like to service the system because of occasional use.

The system could be used to gradually empty a large tank when convenient or to real time fully empty a small holding tank I will try and find a few more figures later.

Edited by Gary Peacock

Gary - please add me to the list of interested spectators for the above...

I take it that in the event of a failure of the incinerator, the pumpout would be used in the normal way?

Also - I've been reading about composting toilets which seem to work well onland, but remain unproven (in my opinion) for canal boat use. Do you have any experience of fitting these?

If you do post the results - please send them to Moley and not myself...

Oh - and be sure you send them in a well sealed, leakproof envelope! LOL

Allan

I have used a "Biolet" for 8 + years very successfully, BUT mine needs 240v AC for an hour or so each day

(I believe the 12v dc models are very power hungry)

- You have to sniff the chimney to get smells

It easily copes with 2 people

;)

I have used a "Biolet" for 8 + years very successfully, BUT mine needs 240v AC for an hour or so each day

(I believe the 12v dc models are very power hungry)

- You have to sniff the chimney to get smells

It easily copes with 2 people

:o

well that is a novel way to dispose of unwanted guests!!!!! ;) (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Gary, I'm interested in this and would like to find out more.

My first thoughts though, are that I wouldn't want the carbon output to be larger that the carbon input.

In other words that the amount of energy needed to pump and burn and reduce down the waste be excessive. When waste composts down, nothing is lost (oxygen taken in, heat given out).

Gary, I'm interested in this and would like to find out more.

My first thoughts though, are that I wouldn't want the carbon output to be larger that the carbon input.

In other words that the amount of energy needed to pump and burn and reduce down the waste be excessive. When waste composts down, nothing is lost (oxygen taken in, heat given out).

Hi Carrie I seem to remember from my organic chemistry at school that you get methane as well not just heat, but it was a long time ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Following on from my last post, I was doing a bit of research and looking for a few pics and found this...

http://www.eberspacher.com/

toilets.jpg

wc16_schematic.jpg

- - - (from the page) - - -

The WC16 has been developed for use where disposal of human waste is a major environmental and logistical problem. The WC16 eliminates the normal cost of disposal, vehicle downtime and treatment and avoids the rigorous health and safety implications of disposal.

How the system works

After flushing, all toilet waste is passed through the macerator pump, which is then conveyed to the waste holding tank. A level sensor within the tank alerts the incinerator that there is waste requiring incineration and the incineration process begins.

A measured quantity of waste is pumped into the chamber and combustion commences, whereupon all contents of the chamber are incinerated leaving a sterile chamber. When the incineration process is complete combustion ceases and the incinerator begins its cool down cycle.

If the holding tank level sensor indicates there is still waste in the holding tank, further incinerations are initiated until the tank is empty.

The WC16 has the capability of incinerating up to 16 litres of waste per hour and larger models are available to cope with higher flow volumes.

The WC16 meets all required Environmental and Health and Safety regulations - details of which are available on request.

- - - (end) - - -

Don't know what others here think, but this looks to be a perfect solution if it works

Anyone had a price for fitting one yet?

Allan

Edited by AllanW

We are about to trial a new system based around a normal pump out toilet which will pump waste into a small collection tank from which a small quantity at a time will be automatically transferred into a diesel fired incineration unit, the small amount of resulting ash will then be collected into a container for safe disposal every few months.

I think the system might be probably more suited to larger inland waterways boats but the system does sound very good in principle but like most of these ideas we will have to see how it all works out!

If anyone would be interested in details of the system then drop me a message and I will get back to you with more details after we have finished a trial on it and I am sure it is a viable system.

We looked at this type of system for warships when I worked in the Design Divison of the MOD some years ago. The US Navy had some units at sea and they appeared to work quite well, producing totally inoffensive incinerated sewage that looked just like blue coral (useful paperweight that doubles as a conversational topic). We did not adopt them for the RN because, at that time, the incinerators were relatively large and (if I recall correctly) needed fairly sophisticated and expensive materials to cope with material and temperatures involved. Things have obviously moved on, but it will be interesting to see if there are any longer term material problems.