CHILD FRIENDLY BOATING

Martye71

Featured Posts

I've been on quite a few boating holidays over the years, with the usual array of canals, rivers and The Broads all experienced.

But we now have two children and I'm wondering how practical it is to take them on a holiday afloat in the UK?

They are five and nearly three. My first worry is obviously their safety.

For this reason, while I know you have to be very careful when water is involved, are there any particular routes which you think are more child-friendly than others, ie less locks, ease of getting on and off boats etc?

Plus are there any companies who are particularly geared up for families with young children like our's?

And a final thought. Will any of these companies actually be operating in the October half term, or is that too late in the year to hire a boat?

Hope you can help me.

Marty.

Based on experience (with three young kids myself many moons ago) you need warmth, a DVD player and some good games, not forgetting life jackets.

Try Bridge Boatyard here in Ely - they have tupperwares and a couple of decent narrowboats. The rivers around here in Ely are spectacular but safe - you can go for miles without seeing another boat and there are very few locks or other hazards likely to distratc adults from keeping an eye on the kids. The Great Ouse follows the main railway line to London and Cambridge, so, if the weather is foul, you can always jump ship and be in amongst distractions for kids.

Gordon in Ely

Edited by Gordon Chesterman

I've been taking my two kids since they were two. All of the companies will be operating into October for sure and will have masses of experience dealing with families with young children. Most should be able to offer you free life jackets in the correct size for your children.

In my experience, children enjoy a few locks here and there to break up the cruise with a little more interest but I might avoid doing a large lock flight as I used to struggle with keeping full concentration on the boat whilst watching the kids in a long flight.

I think that the sooner you get your kids boating the safer they are when they get older and do want to do it all themselves.

I'd suggest ringing a good selection of hire companies and talking to them about your needs and concerns and you'll get a good feel for how family friendly they are.

Hope this helps

I've been on quite a few boating holidays over the years, with the usual array of canals, rivers and The Broads all experienced.

But we now have two children and I'm wondering how practical it is to take them on a holiday afloat in the UK?

They are five and nearly three. My first worry is obviously their safety.

For this reason, while I know you have to be very careful when water is involved, are there any particular routes which you think are more child-friendly than others, ie less locks, ease of getting on and off boats etc?

Plus are there any companies who are particularly geared up for families with young children like our's?

And a final thought. Will any of these companies actually be operating in the October half term, or is that too late in the year to hire a boat?

Hope you can help me.

Marty.

I took my 5 year old grandson on the boat for 2 nights. He loved doing the locks with Grandma but was not so happy with the second day that was lock free.

Both Di and I have quite a bit of boating experience so we didn't have to think about the operation to much and could concentrate on him.

I couldn't manage both my grandsons at the same time but probably their parents could on the waterways, but I expect they would struggle with the locking operation.

Two posts have already supported my view: The Catch 22 here is that lock free stretches are dead boring for kids - you're locking them in a metal tank when all's said and done - whereas the opportunity climb about and play with big toys are the good bits. I'm 57 and all that still applies to me if I'm honest.

You'll be doing short days in October, so pick a canal with lots of convenient pubs, and plan for longish evenings in the cabin after dark.

Another thought, the more exercise they get during the day, the more chance you have of them sleeping at night.

Another one for lock-free boating being boring for children.

My daughters were about 5 and 4 when we first took them on the canals; they were 10 and 9 when we took them to Disneyland /Universal Studios etc for 5 weeks in Florida. Guess what? They still remember with great pleasure huge detail about the boating but virtually nothing about the Grand Vacation!

Q.E.D. Boating beats Disney!

PS - colouring books, DVD, Plasticine... they won't be interested in the scenery at all. Or the wildlife. Unless it's dead and rotten.

We first took our 2 boys when aged 6 and 4. As the others have said take plenty of things for them to do on lock free stretches or if the weather is really bad.

Ours loved the locks even at that age so involve them as much as you can safely do. Obvious though it is, my main advice would be to make sure they don't run around when at locks due to the many trip hazzards, and the possible consequences even with lifejacks on.

Also, don't plan an ambitious itinary. Allow time for plenty of stops to explore the surroundings you're passing through. Our kids loved the adventure of being able to stop and explore different places. When they are a bit older, consider taking their bikes, then if they are getting bored you can stop in bridgeheads and let them off with their bikes and meet them further up the canal for them to get back on at another bridge.

Another one for lock-free boating being boring for children.

My daughters were about 5 and 4 when we first took them on the canals; they were 10 and 9 when we took them to Disneyland /Universal Studios etc for 5 weeks in Florida. Guess what? They still remember with great pleasure huge detail about the boating but virtually nothing about the Grand Vacation!

Q.E.D. Boating beats Disney!

PS - colouring books, DVD, Plasticine... they won't be interested in the scenery at all. Or the wildlife. Unless it's dead and rotten.

That is so true!

Three and five are excellent ages for children on a canal boat. Ours would wander up and down inside the boat doing what they wanted, when they wanted. So, sitting in the front watching the world, perhaps dangling nets over the side (supervised), inside colouring, out the back talking with people, inside playing with toys and so on. Pubs for lunch suits small children too

We had a few simple rules, like lifejackets at the front or back of the boat which they could easily follow. Otherwise, it was far easier than them getting bored in a car

Highly recommended

Richard

Edited by RLWP