Should we go east or west from Aldermaston?

loumush

Featured Posts

Every time we take a canal boat holiday I ask for your advise and it's always been great. This time we are picking up our boat from Aldermaston and wondering whether to go towards the Thames or towards Bristol. We have 6 days and like to fit in as much boating as the daylight will allow. I'd be greatful of any thoughts about this please.

I had thought that we would go towards Windsor or Oxford and not really considered going west.

Oh, from the title of the thread I somehow inferred that you had considered it.

Westwards is pretty and rural most of the way. It's the way we went when we hired a Reading Marine boat from Aldermaston some years ago. We have since travelled in the eastward direction too, in our own boat, and given the choice I'd still head westwards again.

It's 6 hrs to the Thames if you head east, turn left and Oxford is 2-3 easy days away, turn right and it's a couple of days to Hampton Court, might be a longer trek back if the river has a drop of fresh in it.

Three days west from Aldermaston will get you to perhaps Crofton or even through the Bruce Tunnel turn at Burbage warfe and return.

All are great options but if it were me i'd head west. That time of year the Thames can be prone to being put on red boards due to rising water levels if the weather is wet, and it can be shut for 3 or 4 days at a time if not more.

The Kennet can also be affected but going west but there are only a couple of real iffy bits, Woolhampton bridge and lock and Newbury Town Centre, the lads at the boatyard will get you through Woolhampton and Newbury town centre is just a bit of a drag, punching up through the very narrow town centre bridge.

Paul

Just had a look at a map and think we would probably get to Pewsey and back.

Yes, that's a realistic goal if you cruise steadily for, say, 8 hours per day. If I'm right, the hour goes off during your week afloat, so be prepared for early mornings or shorter cruising days on the way back!

I recall that we reached Devizes in our week's hire (afternoon, six full days and a bit of morning) but we were cracking on a bit.

Edited by Athy

Number 1 consideration is the state of the rivers - if high, then head west for sure.

If they are ok, then I would say it depends on your attitude to locks.

Go east, then you have 11 locks, 4 push button swing bridges (easy peasy) and 1 pedestrian swing bridge, and then you are on the Thames, where you can relax as the nice lock keepers do all the work for you. It should be quet at this time of year as well.

Go west, then you have 45 locks, 2 push button lift and swing bridges and 5 pedestrian bridges until you reach the long pound at Wooton Rivers. Of course you don't have to go all the way there, but you are averaging about a lock per mile. You do have a nice selection of villages and towns to visit though - most with reasonable pubs:-

Woolhampton

Newbury

Kintbury (don't miss the butchers - or the home made pizzas at the Blue Ball)

Hungerford

Great Bedwyn.

If I had 6 days going west, I would probably just go as far as Crofton Pumping station and turn back there (35 locks, leaving adequate time for pubs and shopping.

I agree. Go west. We used to moor in Newbury and have been 'that way' many times. When/if you get to Hungerford you must visit the Antiques Centre. Well we liked it!!

Lovely part of the system.

I also agree with the fighting spirit of getting up to the Town Lock in Newbury when the river is 'flowing'. We had a small 32' boat with a 10 HP engine then, we eventually made it, phew. Had (long) conversations with patrons of the pubs that back onto the Canal/river as we passed.

Woolhampton is doable, certainly. You can then boast "Yes, we have done Woolhampton in October!

Enjoy.

Martyn edit to correct an 's'

Edited by Nightwatch

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Go west. We used to moor in Newbury and have been 'that way' many times. When/if you get to Hungerford you must visit the Antiques Centre. Well we liked it!!

Lovely part of the system.

I also agree with the fighting spirit of getting up to the Town Lock in Newbury when the river is 'flowing'. We had a small 32' boat with a 10 HP engine then, we eventually made it, phew. Had (long) conversations with patrons of the pubs that back onto the Canal/river as we passed.

Woolhampton is doable, certainly. You can then boast "Yes, we have done Woolhampton in October!

Enjoy.

Martyn edit to correct an 's'

What does it mean when you talk about Woolhampton in October? What do we need to know?

I would vote for west . I think that the locks to the east ( including Aldermaston top set of gates) are more challenging and the Thames locks may be on "boards" as some are today.

I think that the locks to the west are less of a challenge ( which can be good on a wet winter day ) and the towns and villages have some fine sights.

Either way enjoy yourself and wave as you go past.

Paul

What does it mean when you talk about Woolhampton in October? What do we need to know?

Woolhampton is a brige lock river combination that seems to put the fear of god into some boaters, it can be tricky if the river is flowing hard ( the river sweeps across the lock tail) but hire boaters do it all the time week in week out. The lads at ABC padworth will explain all to you, at handover, and will know the rivers condition, if its a bit lively or you're not too confident they sometimes take you through.

The only significance of Woolhampton in October it there is a greater chance of the river having a bit of extra water in it.

You'll be ok.

I noticed you're going out on the 26th, i'll be local to padworth by then so give us a wave When you pass:cheers:

Edited by GSer

What he said.

Nothing to worry about. Just be aware of it.

There's something exciting going against/across/along with a strong flow.

Enjoy. I didn't mean to give you concern. Just something to brag about later.

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your advise. Now I have my guidebook and looked up the route, we are definitely going west and are aiming to get to Wooton Rivers. We may not make it as we only have 2 and a bit days to get there then will have 3 and a bit days back but we will see. Will let you know how we did on our return.

Already booked next trip now to do the Four Counties Ring and Caldon Canal next March. We like winter!

Edited by loumush

Thanks for all your advise. Now I have my guidebook and looked up the route, we are definitely going west and are aiming to get to Wooton Rivers. We may not make it as we only have 2 and a bit days to get there then will have 3 and a bit days back but we will see. Will let you know how we did on our return.

Already booked next trip now to do the Four Counties Ring and Caldon Canal next March. We like winter!

Huge warning - Froxfield Locks west of Hungerford wil close on 1 November. You might get caught on the wrong side if you go as far as Wooton Rivers. I would suggest no further than Crofton and spend the extra time walking up to Wilton windmill. It is only then a day back to get through Froxfield.

Huge warning - Froxfield Locks west of Hungerford wil close on 1 November. You might get caught on the wrong side if you go as far as Wooton Rivers. I would suggest no further than Crofton and spend the extra time walking up to Wilton windmill. It is only then a day back to get through Froxfield.

Now i need to check, i thought the stoppage work started(?) on the 5th?

Just checked and the actual closing date is the sunday 4th in the early evening.

Edited by GSer

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just back last night from our great trip on the Kennet and Avon. We finally left last Friday late afternoon from Aldermaston but were held up as we did not get through the road bridge before 4.30. At 5.30 we just had enough light to get through the lock and moor up. Saturday got us to Knintbury where we went off to find the Blue Ball pub but didn't fancy it when we got there so ended up in the Dundas Arms. A warning, 3 of us had a few drinks and the bill came to over £50! After a second very long day we got to Wootton Rivers. The intention was to go to the lovely Royal Oak pub but unfortunately we were all only good for an early night. Then on was a slow enjoyable cruise back to Aldermaston. We stopped for the next night at Great Bedwyn and had enough time to get the bus to Marlborough and have afternoon tea in the old fashioned Polly tea rooms, highly recommended. The next day we stopped for a couple of hours at Hungerford before spending the night at Kintbury again. Our last night was at Newbury where we treated ourselves to lunch at Costa and dinner at ASK. The final day took us 5 hours from Newbury to Aldermaston. A great trip. The lock at Woolhampton was fun with the river flowing in and not only can we now boast that we have "done it in October" but also that we have "done it in November" too. Met some great people along the way although I can only remember a few of their boat names. Notably "Old Guys Rule" and "Estia" who we shared locks with. Our boat this time was the Alvechurch boat "Village Weaver", it felt a bit of an awkward layout but maybe it was just a bit small and the fact that we had to convert the living space to a bed a night was new to us. I think ABC could certainly improve their so called 5* boats starting with giving them a comfortable mattress. Moans aside, we're still going back with them next time so will start planning our March trip on the Four Counties ring soon.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

West. That electrically-oprated swinging road bridge is a test of your nerve as you smile nicely at all the motorists you've held up, but after that it gets much better.

It certainly tests your nerve if your engine cuts out between the swing bridge and the lock!