Alde Boiler

buggsy

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,

I am still relatively new to to boating and i am seeking some advice for my Alde boiler. This boiler was fitted to the boat 14 years ago. Only two weeks ago everything was all ok, today tried for two hours to light the boiler with no success. The piezo only lights probably once in ten attempts. I hve tried switching gas bottles but cooker all works ok. I have found that gas is getting to the boiler, has anybody got ant ideas? Boiler was serviced last year and i would guess we have only used it five times since then.

cheers,

Steve

Unless you are a qualified gas fitter, the only thing I can suggest is that you have it serviced again. Before you do that, you might want to take a look at the Alde Web Site.

If you feel confident about taking out and refitting the heater unit, you can post it to Alde who will service it for you but you might have a problem with some of the pipework. We had a similar problem about 12 months ago and the one the pipes had burnt through (Don't ask me how - I was just glad to get it fixed).

Unless you are a qualified gas fitter, the only thing I can suggest is that you have it serviced again. Before you do that, you might want to take a look at the Alde Web Site.

If you feel confident about taking out and refitting the heater unit, you can post it to Alde who will service it for you but you might have a problem with some of the pipework. We had a similar problem about 12 months ago and the one the pipes had burnt through (Don't ask me how - I was just glad to get it fixed).

Thanks for the advice Paul,

Strangely when i visited the boat the next day the boiler ignited first time and repeated this several times during the holiday period. So i will keep my fingers crossed that I don't have any further problems.

I don't know whether the ignition system on an Alde is similar, but I have had the same problem on my Ellis in the past particularly after prolonged periods of inactivity. The problem was a small ball of dust fluff accumulating in the pilot light air supply tube, preventing sufficient oxygen reching the pilot to enable it to ignite. This can sometimes be blown out directing a blast of air at the tube ( I use a short length of polythene piping and blow through it) or if that fails by picking the fluff out with a pair of tweezers. It is a long shot, but may be worth a try.

I had exactly the same problem with my Aldi.

One day it just would'nt light, as you say the piezo light flashed the once and that was it, the only way it would flash again (still only the once was by turning it all off and leaving it for around 30 seconds then trying again) in the end gave up on it and lit the fire.

The next day tryed it again and it lit first time, No idea why I am afraid.

The piezo only lights probably once in ten attempts

Buggsy: by this do you mean that the piezo only sparks on in 10, or only lights the gas one in 10?

If the former, you almost certainly need a new piezo, assuming no wiring has come loose. Although having said that, piezo's tend to either work or not work.

If the latter, then the most likely cause is a partially blocked pilot light. The Alde one is quite unusual in design, and a partial blockage will make is burn only in part, making it difficult to ignite.

The answer is to send it off to Alde. Whilst you have to disconnect the gas, it is only one compression fitting and despite all the paranoia about gas and snappy little welsh dogs, it doesn't present that much of a problem. Full maintenance notes including instructoins on removing the burner can be fould on the Alde website. Send it off to Alde and they will fully service it, replace any faulty parts and recalibrate it. Costs about £50 depending on what parts need replacing and takes a few days. Well worth it, especially if it is a few years old and not been attended to.

Mine would not light and the piezo light flashed just once.

You would then turn it off and try again and the piezo didnt even flash.

Only way to get the piezo to flash was to leave it for a few minutes and try again but even then it only flashed the once.

Went to sort it out the next day and the piezo flashes away a couple of times and the boiler lights as it always has before and after this incident. It had been serviced a few months beforehand.

I have found that in really bad weather, with the boat unused for a while, i.e rain and strong wind, enough water can drip down the chimney to wet the pilot light assembly and the high voltage electrode that connects to the piezo and hence no or little spark. Even if you get a spark the pilot does not light properly as the water stops the odd shaped pilot burner from lighting properly all the way round and so the thermocouple does not get hot. Solution is to either wait for it to dry out or take off the viewing window and light the pilot with a stove gas lighter getting the pilot nice and warm to dry it off. WARNING: Do not ignite the main burner with the viewing cover off as it could blow back - see Alde documentation.

These boilers need cleaning on a regular basis (i.e yearly) and are quite easy to do if you are confident with this sort of thing. It also seems the more they are used the less prone they are to problems.

There is a service manual on the Alde site.

I have found that in really bad weather, with the boat unused for a while, i.e rain and strong wind, enough water can drip down the chimney to wet the pilot light

. . . <snip> . . .

There is a service manual on the Alde site.

My Alde 2920, new in 1987, had intermittent sparking two years ago i.e. 15 years old. Problem was worse when boat unoccupied in winter. The lead from the piezo unit to the electrode had broken down - problem more severe in high humidity.

By carefully pushing/pulling the wire through the rubber grommet I was able to find a position where id did not arc to the chassis. A new lead would be the best solution but I have covered the existing lead with pvc tubing. It is possible to push the tubing up the lead without removing anything but the outer cover.

My indicator meter no longer works as the hairspring corroded through - another indication of high humidity. I need a new piezo igniter unit as the old one sticks down.

Last time I looked the manuals on the Alde site only covered the latest models but they are still of some help. Its very fiddly to work on in-situ - not for a 'butterfingers'.

Does anyone have a good source of parts?

Alan

I would suggest Alde themselves for parts. Their service dept isvery helpful, and their prices seem to be a fraction of what my local chandlery dreams up.

Edited by dor

• 3 weeks later...

The (Piezo 2920-266) as said usually works or does not. An intermitant fault is more likely to be the (HT Lead Short 2923-417) or the insulation on the (spark plug 2923-207) mounted on the (Pilot Burner Assembly 2923-201).

The 2920 std flue boiler has (Piezo 2920-266) ignition.

The 2923 Std flue and 2928 Room sealed balanced flue have (12v Ignition transformer kit 2923-225)

To remove the Alde 2920 burner

1 Turn off the gas at supply and isolator.

2 Disconnect Gas feed pipe nut.

3 Remove 14 Screws in the burner face plate( Inc one in top of viewing window)

4 Remove screw holding (control box 2920-216) to boiler

5 Remove burner complete. This Includes the (Overheat Sensor 2920-230) and the boiler thermostat.

Note be careful not to damage your gas feed pipe as you take the burner out, space can be tight. A simple 10-15 minute job. A qualified person should ensure the system is sound when refitted.

Cost of Service at Alde UK £42 + vat.

New location

Alde UK

Unit 14 Regent Park

Booth Drive

Park Farm South

Wellingborough

Northamptonshire

NN8 6GR

GB

Phone 01933 677765

Edited by Mr Leigh

I would suggest Alde themselves for parts. Their service dept is very helpful, and their prices seem to be a fraction of what my local chandlery dreams up.

Thanks Dor, I had hoped to order parts on-line but I will have to call them on my PAYG 'phone at 35ppm.
. . . Cost of Service at Alde UK £42 + vat. . .

Thank you for the detail! I am quite capable of fitting the required parts but ~£50 + parts seems a very good deal; I will go for it as soon as we have some warmer weather.

Alan