Hiring on the Leeds & Liverpool

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

We are looking to hire for a week somewhere on the Leeds and Liverpool next spring and would be grateful for some advice/recommendations as to where. There will be just me and my wife and although we are fine with locks, not too many if possible.

Regarding hire companies it must be ones who have either semi-trads or trads available because we want to see how we get on with our dog on board. We currently have a part share in a cruiser stern boat but plan to buy our own for living aboard in the near future, and may consider a non cruiser stern so as to give us more cabin space.

Some of you may have seen my post a few months ago on the living afloat section where I asked about dogs and trad sterns. I received some very helpful and thought provoking advice from it, but think that actually trying it out first with a hire boat would be a good idea.

Snaygill at Skipton are all cruisers i think as are Silsden boats. Bear Boating at Apperley Bridge may have one. Pennine Cruisers as TG says have a small one suitable for 2.

Yorkshire side of Leeds/lLiverpool may not have many locks but there is loads and loads of swing bridges.

I know I'm biased, but I have to say that Isabel from Canal Boat Escapes, a 50ft trad stern tug, is one of the nicest boats on the Leeds & Liverpool.

She's fitted out beautifully and really turns heads when she's out and about - dogs are allowed on board too. I love it when I have to turn her round before a handover - twice I've been asked if she's for sale!

As Titus said, there's also Strumble, a lovely 32' Doug Moore boat, but unfortunately for you, she's a pet free boat, so wouldn't suit your purposes.

Janet

I know I'm biased, but I have to say that Isabel from Canal Boat Escapes, a 50ft trad stern tug, is one of the nicest boats on the Leeds & Liverpool.

She's fitted out beautifully and really turns heads when she's out and about - dogs are allowed on board too. I love it when I have to turn her round before a handover - twice I've been asked if she's for sale!

As Titus said, there's also Strumble, a lovely 32' Doug Moore boat, but unfortunately for you, she's a pet free boat, so wouldn't suit your purposes.

Janet

Biased Janet. No never!

Go on - do tell :)

I've discovered www.canalboatescapes.co.uk have a fascinating trad stern tug which looks a good option. I may also take a look at the two that Bear Boating have, although I've been put off a bit because there aren't enough decent photos of them on their site.

I've discovered www.canalboatescapes.co.uk have a fascinating trad stern tug which looks a good option. I may also take a look at the two that Bear Boating have, although I've been put off a bit because there aren't enough decent photos of them on their site.

Hi there Comfortably Numb, if you would like to see more photgraphs of our boats have a look at our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BearBoating

There are a lot of albums on there, some by us and some from our hirers. Our Boats are not as traditional as some, we have gone for a more contemporary style but both Boats are dog friendly at no extra cost. Please give us a call if you would like to have a chat - the contact number is on the web site. Will get some more photos on the web site though and Steve thanks for the link!

Hi there Comfortably Numb, if you would like to see more photgraphs of our boats have a look at our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BearBoating

There are a lot of albums on there, some by us and some from our hirers. Our Boats are not as traditional as some, we have gone for a more contemporary style but both Boats are dog friendly at no extra cost. Please give us a call if you would like to have a chat - the contact number is on the web site. Will get some more photos on the web site though and Steve thanks for the link!

Thanks for the photos, that's much better.

We hired Isabel, the trad stern tug in July this year and can highly recommend it. The boat is really well fitted out and beautifully finished. They provide a really good handover and are very welcoming and are great people to hire from.

I'm doing my last handover of the season on Isabel this Saturday...if you want any photos taking to show either the interior or the exterior, or have any questions, then please ask!

She really is a lovely boat, so it's a treat for me to finish off my season with a handover on her...I love the way our guests take a look at the interior and go "wow!"...hopefully she'll be pointing in the wrong direction so I get a lovely hour's cruise on her to turn her round before the guests arrive.

Janet