What Paint type for NB roof

Tonyl

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

could anyone offer any advice regarding which type of paint to use on a Narrow boat roof (Raddle or Gloss). I was told that Raddle is better for the eyes on those rare days of sunshine (cuts down the glare supposedly), but I do find it a pain to wash. My roof is a sanded roof, painted with cream raddle, which just seems to cause a milky type solution when washed with a brush etc. If I was to consider repainting it, logic tells me to use gloss, based on the assumption it would be easier to wash down ?, and I could always wear my Polaroids on those rare occasions we get the sun !.

I am happy to stick with the cream/light colours to try and keep it cooler in summer (not a great problem the last couple of years mind you), but would be gratefull for any hints/tips and opinions please.

Regards

Tony

We discussed the type of paint for the roof when our boat was recently repainted by John Sanderson at Dadford's Wharf. We had already decided that we wanted to retain the existing colour of mid/light grey, but were undecided as to whether we had gloss, or matt finish as before. Matt paint can harbour more dirt than gloss and is more difficult to keep clean than gloss, but I was unhappy with gloss because of the potential sun reflection factor. John resolved the issue by suggesting satin finish which is smooth and therefore easier to keep clean, but does not give much reflection.

We brought the boat back to napton from Wordsley in mainy very sunny weather, which demostrated that we made the correct decision to have the roof painted in a Satin finish. It looks like gloss from a distance but produces very little sunlight reflection.

Very difficult to give an ultimate solution. It isn't easy to make a clean job of glossing areas that border sanded roofs. Sanded roofs, over time, with re-application of paint, become filled in an less useful as non slip. It also peels alot and looks crap.

Paint, applied to sand, should be slightly thinned to avoid clogging and shortening the useful non-slip life of the non-slip texture. Over painting sand has a limited value.

It might be better to apply a non-slip paint to the sanded surface. If you ever feel like it - remove the sand and paint on a floor paint and forget re-doing the sand.

The roof has a hard life, as far as weather is concerned, some leaching of the surface is not unusual. A good wash of a floor paint surface will keep that down. More difficult to thoroughly wash out a sanded roof.

I've had a roof that was Oxford blue, then changed to gloss cream to reduce the heat in summer. The glare was horrendous so selectively repainted with sand in the paint to give a non slip, low reflection surface. This worked ok but became a moss/dirt trap.

I've now gone a more traditional route, stripped the sanded paint etc and repainted in Johnsons red oxide paint. It dries as a silk finish, doesn't show the dirt like white, is easy to clean and can be touched up very easily.

International garage floor paint from wilkinsons. Sticks like poo to a blanket, easy to roll on, non slip and £30 for 5 litres. It's brilliant.

Hmm? Would I be right in thinking that garage floor paint would be great to paint over redlead in bilges etc. as it is hard wearing and resistant to oil, solvents etc?

Hmm? Would I be right in thinking that garage floor paint would be great to paint over redlead in bilges etc. as it is hard wearing and resistant to oil, solvents etc?

Topside paint does not like standing water. It's waterproof, but not to be kept damp. That's what causes micro blisters in gloss. Keep the paint aired. So trapped water is not too good.

Mainly the one part enamels, white spirit based. You would have better luck with two pack.

Edited by Higgs