Blind corner storage

Featured Posts

I've got a blind corner cupoard in my boat...which is a pain as I've only got 3 cupboards. The extra space in the corner has got general stuff in it but its not as usefull as being able to get in there properly. The blind face has got the cooker in front of it which also complicates matters.

Idealy I would have a magic corner unit, the ones that automaticaly pull out and slide and turn and whatnot. Fancy but, rolling in at £130, a bit too pricy. I'd be quite content with just some non automatic have to pull baskets out myself on a rack doohicky but I can't find them. I suppose a 1/2 carrosel would do the job...but then it wastes probably as much space as I would gain!

Any one got any clever ideas as to how I might be able to solve this problem?

Edited by Chris Lingwood

Hi

Have you tried IKEA.

We have pull out wire basket/shelves fitted at home, these were fitted about seven years ago but they may still do them.

Cannot find them on website but they were not there seven years ago either.

We have draws in our "blind corner"

- To the left is the cooker, and to the right is the bin, on the back of a cupboard door, under the kitchen sink. (cupboard door is, like all of them, a narrow door, only about 400mm tops)

- Then as i say, theres draws in the blind corner, which open out into thye space where the bin lives (swings out the way with the cupboard door)

- Works quite well, the draws are massive, and access to them is acceptable. Although the top one needs to be lifted up and then tipped down off its rollers to get big things in/out as its a bit too high next to the bottom of the kitchen sink.

Daniel

Might it be possible to put a door on the back of the blind corner, what I mean is if it is against a bulkhead for example can you put a door in the bulkhead?

OR you could get or make some boxes that fit the cupboard that accesses the blind corner and slide them in to the dead space and use similar boxes in the other cupboard, I realise thtat it means taking a couple of boxes out to get to the other boxes but it will maximise storage.

In our blind corner we are planning a solution of dans drawers into the get at able cupboard and and access door on the other side of the bulkhead.

I have seen some very clever fold out carousel basket types as Chris and Bottle describe in kitchen showrooms, I would be inclined to look at as many of these designs as you can, copy the geometry and design a scaled down version. The secret of good design is copy and improve on the best there is, don't reinvent the wheel.

Edited by John Orentas

I've got a blind corner cupoard in my boat...which is a pain as I've only got 3 cupboards. The extra space in the corner has got general stuff in it but its not as usefull as being able to get in there properly. The blind face has got the cooker in front of it which also complicates matters.

Idealy I would have a magic corner unit, the ones that automaticaly pull out and slide and turn and whatnot. Fancy but, rolling in at £130, a bit too pricy. I'd be quite content with just some non automatic have to pull baskets out myself on a rack doohicky but I can't find them. I suppose a 1/2 carrosel would do the job...but then it wastes probably as much space as I would gain!

Any one got any clever ideas as to how I might be able to solve this problem?

The blind cupboard in my galley is accessed in the living quarters

db_07-LOUNGE_galley_B-H1.jpg

Hmmm unfortunatly there is another cupboard on the otherside of the bulkhead so I would have to loose that storage too!

I thought I saw a slide out thing in IKEA too but you are right its not on the website. I might have to make a trip down there...shame its 50 miles away :D

I'm not sure the draws would work...we really need that bit of cupboard to

If all goes badly it might have to be just a few boxes that you have to pull out. They just might get a bit heavy when they are full of stuff.

John as far as I can see from the fancy automatic pull out ones you need quite a heavy duty and complicated looking hinge to support the rack I don't think its really plausable for my feeble fabricating skills.

The simplest I've seen is by hafele (who I can't find a stockist nearby for). The front basket pulls out then slides over. Then the corner baskets just slide into the space left. Its not a complicated mechanism...in fact apart from the pull out then slide over its just normal draws. Can i find a stockist or even a price...nope.

Heres a picture of the problem. Its the cupboard closest to the cooker http://83.67.106.99/barge/24687_12.jpg (appologies for the speed, its hosted at home)

the far cupboard under the breakfast bar is now a freezer

Edited by Chris Lingwood

There are other options but they will depend on having some form of access, I made my work-top removable, water pumps, batteries and other things which will require only very infrequent attention, they could all be installed in there.

Edited by John Orentas

They are already elsewhere...plus its in the middle of the boat and the batteries, pumps and whatnot are at either end. Bit late for removable worktops too, its very much built. And we really need the storage in the kitchen.

Edited by Chris Lingwood

That is the magic automatic corner foldy outy doohicky mentioned at the top. I'm just not sure that the space is worth £130!

A carousel wouldn't really work...the cooker is in the way. I think I might just be forced to resort to manual baskets with no clever mechanism for now. It probably is the most sensible solution anyway :D

A carousel wouldn't really work...the cooker is in the way. I think I might just be forced to resort to manual baskets with no clever mechanism for now. It probably is the most sensible solution anyway :D

Sorry to be dense, but why wouldn't a carousel work? As I understand it you have a 'cube' of dead space in the corner by the cooker, accessed from the cupboard next to the dead space. A carousel, as I'm thinking of, would consist of 2 (or more) circular baskets/shelves, one above the other, revolving on a vertical axis that is centred in the centre of the dead 'cube'. The baskets would have a diameter just less than the width of the 'cube' (i.e. the distance from cooker to wall/hull). You would access the carousel via the adjacent cupboard. What am I missing? :D

[incidentally, I'm not advocating this as a 'killer' solution, just don't see why it won't work]

ah I see what you mean. Hmmm...its better than it is at the moment.....as you say not quite killer. I thought you meant something like this

hafele_corner_cupboard.JPG

Likewise, see what you mean. I can't actually find a product as I describe (although I'm sure I've seen them in the past), the closest being a semi-circle spanning both the dead space and adjacent area;

storage_carousel_baskets.jpg

I tend to agree that a set of 4 (say) baskets on shelves is probably the best utilisation of space.