Birmingham

allybsc

Featured Posts

My partner and I have just bought the large woolwich Birmingham and feel like complete newbies all over again! I would like to do some research into it's history but don't quite know where to start, I'm quite prepared to put the work in rather than expecting to be given chapter and verse but any information/pictures would be gladly accepted, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Edited by allybsc

Here is "Birmingham" & "Bordesley" new in 1936/7 quite early in the life of the boats has the public helath number has not been sign written on the motor. Launched into service in November 1936 the boat wasnt gauged until the following february.

gallery_5000_522_4584.jpg

Oh that's so beautiful I could cry :cheers: We have to have the cabin re-skinned, it would be lovely to do it as per the picture. would it be OK to use that picture on my Facebook page? I'd happy to buy it.

Who are the family?

Edited by allybsc

Oh that's so beautiful I could cry :cheers: We have to have the cabin re-skinned, it would be lovely to do it as per the picture. would it be OK to use that picture on my Facebook page? I'd happy to buy it.

Who are the family?

Dont cry over it please. The picture was lent to an uncle of mine by a boatman many years ago, its part of a collection I have. Sadly he died suddenly many years ago and despite efforts including publishing some of the images in Waterways World no one has come forward. So the family is unknown at present. Please feel free to use the picture just credit my collection as the source.

It would be nice to see a Harland & Wollf cabin done correctly, in this picture the boats are two tone blue early livery with the wooden lining panels and beading. Note too the cabin doors and interior painted in a mid grey which is how they were delivered, no scumbling was applied when new.

We owned a small Rickmansworth some years ago and the cabin retained some original paint including the grey still intact inside the cupboards.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Dont cry over it please. The picture was lent to an uncle of mine by a boatman many years ago, its part of a collection I have. Sadly he died suddenly many years ago and despite efforts including publishing some of the images in Waterways World no one has come forward. So the family is unknown at present. Please feel free to use the picture just credit my collection as the source.

It would be nice to see a Harland & Wollf cabin done correctly, in this picture the boats are two tone blue early livery with the wooden lining panels and beading. Note too the cabin doors and interior painted in a mid grey which is how they were delivered, no scumbling was applied when new.

We owned a small Rickmansworth some years ago and the cabin retained some original paint including the grey still intact inside the cupboards.

Thank you so much, tears of joy I can assure you! This voyage of discovery is going to be such fun! I notice it's got the big funnel, I would like to have one of those made eventually, I doubt I would ever find one going spare. I love the collection of bonny bairns on the cabin top, what a shame we don't know who they are.

Welcome to the world of owning historic craft, it is truly amazing, although you never truly own, you are merely a custodian for a period of time, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Dan

Thanks...I think it's going to end up owning us!

...... dark side.

Hahahaha...move along these are not the rivets you are looking for!

Oh brilliant. I can understand why they didn't care for them, probably a bit too modern,

More the fact that they were a pain to take off every time you went under a low bridge (I think they were bolted on so you needed a spanner to remove them.

Are you going to put the creosote lav back too?

More the fact that they were a pain to take off every time you went under a low bridge (I think they were bolted on so you needed a spanner to remove them.

Are you going to put the creosote lav back too?

Everyone should have a creosote lavvy, I intend to get pie eyed on the fumes!

Edited to say wouldn't you think they would have put them on a hinge????

Edited by allybsc

Oh brilliant. I can understand why they didn't care for them, probably a bit too modern, the 30's was a decade of ocean liner styling. I quite like them.

We have one on Barnet permanently, first it softens the harshness of the exhaust, 2nd we feel it looks right. The loo will open a whole debate up, all I will say that on either Bilster or Hampstead was the remains of the ducting when Barry Lycett had the boats that was my first learning of the funnel and vented loo.

I wonder how many funnels ended up in the cut...accidently!

Have a seance and ask ........ Wilf Towsend ran our boat and used one until the end.

Takes about 20-30 seconds to remove, teaches steerers to be cautious too, dont have to remove for many bridges in reality. I believe the originals just push fitted onto a collar, ours secures with two bolts one either side.

Isn't the family identified in the nboc news letter 2012/1 ?

Darren