High pressure gas hose.

Featured Posts

The gas hose from the bottle to the metal pipe must be leaking and after a long search I managed to get some.

The hose on my boat at the minute is jubilee clipped to the gas regulator and to the metal gas pipe. The new piece I have just bought has brass connectors at each end. It would be better if I could get connectors to join the new pipe to the bottle and metal gas pipe but the metal pipe end is tucked in a awkward place in the gas locker.

Is it ok to hacksaw these brass connectors off and fix with jubilee clips again or has the regs changed now?

Its ok boat saftey man did mine three weeks ok so must be ok l

Then I'd say he was quite wrong to do so.......

All LPG hoses on the high-pressure side:

. must consist of pre-assembled lengths of hose of proprietary manufacture; and,

. must not exceed 1m (39 in) in length; and,

. must be marked to BS 3212 type 2 or equivalent.

So the answer to the original question, I believe is

NO! - Is it NOT ok to hacksaw these brass connectors off and fix with jubilee clips again.

I thought use of Jubilee clips should be a "fail" as they are not then "pre-assembled lengths of hose of proprietary manufacture".

And make sure your pushing the tubing onto proper stepped hose nozzle ends of the correct size for the tubing at either end not just pushed onto bare ended pipes!!!!.

Still shouldn't pass a BSS, should it ???

NO! - Is it NOT ok to hacksaw these brass connectors off and fix with jubilee clips again.

I thought use of Jubilee clips should be a "fail" as they are not then "pre-assembled lengths of hose of proprietary manufacture".

I don't see why the crimped on ends can't be cut off as long as the tubing has the correct BS no's written on it, usually the orange coloured tubing and pushed over the correct serrated nozzles and secured with hose clips. It would be exactly the same hose except some is cut from a reel and some are cut off a reel and have fittings crimped on. They still allow hose clips, some examiners like to see two clips at each joint with the worm drives set 160 degs apart. The tubing in my gas locker has always been like this and passed the test 4 months ago. I do renew the tubing every four years though.

Except that whilst the OP talks about high pressure hose his description of its location indicates it is after the regulator ie low pressure side. Jubilee clips are OK but I wouldn't put them on to a straight pipe rather than a proper hose end.

George ex nb Alton retired

Except that whilst the OP talks about high pressure hose his description of its location indicates it is after the regulator ie low pressure side. Jubilee clips are OK but I wouldn't put them on to a straight pipe rather than a proper hose end.

George ex nb Alton retired

Yes. Hose clips on the orange tubing on the low pressure side only of the regulator. And only in the gas locker, nowhere else i should imagine, well i certainly wouldn't.