Flexible fuel line

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

When my engine was rebuilt, a short bit of solid fuel line was found to be splitting and was replaced by a flexible bit of hose. This is about nine inches long but as far as I can see does not have any BS markings on it. The engineeer swears it's OK but I thought anythign like this had to be kitemarked or whatever to pass the BSS. Looking at the regs, I'm still not sure - can anyone enlighten me and if it does need to be stamped with anything, what am I looking for?

He's coming to do a service in a few weeks so I can get him to change it if needed then.

When my engine was rebuilt, a short bit of solid fuel line was found to be splitting and was replaced by a flexible bit of hose. This is about nine inches long but as far as I can see does not have any BS markings on it. The engineeer swears it's OK but I thought anythign like this had to be kitemarked or whatever to pass the BSS. Looking at the regs, I'm still not sure - can anyone enlighten me and if it does need to be stamped with anything, what am I looking for?

He's coming to do a service in a few weeks so I can get him to change it if needed then.

Yes - I believe it does, see the BSS Guide via their website here (see section 2.10.2).

Richard

The fuel line must be made of suitable material and marked to show the fuel and the Standard for fire resistance- BSS 2.10.2. The Note to 2.10.2 calls for evidence to be sent to the BSS where the hose is not marked and allows a written declaration to be provided by the supplier/manufacturer to satisfy the examiner.

Easiest thing is to get your engineer to do one of: fit a different bit of hose, with markings;

Put a marking on the current hose (a metal label with the standard stamped on should be OK);

Give you a certificate that the hose was cut from a larger piece which was marked (with details of the markings and supplier)so that you can send it to the BSS if the examiner won't accept it prima facie.

N

You do not say in which part of the fuel system the fuel line is located, if it is in the excess fuel return line from the injectors then it MAY not have to be to the appropriate standard but if it is required to be fire resistant then it is best to ensure that the engineer supplies a length of hose appropriately marked (BS EN ISO 7840, SAE1527 or DIN4798). examiners are allowed to accept a written declaration that the hose meets the required standard. My reservation over the written declaration is identifying the hose to which the declaration refers. You should also ensure that the hose connections are in accordance with 2.11.1, it is not acceptable to push flexible hose onto a plain copper pipe and secure with a worm drive clip or clamp.

HTH

Paul M

I seem to remember that you have a Lister SR2 Arthur ?, in which case i expect it is solidly mounted? ''not on flexible rubber mounts'', If so there is no need to have any flexible fuel hose anywhere in the fuel system, it can be copper tube throughout with a few anti-vibration coils made in the last couple of feet in the main fuel feed to the lift pump and a coil or two in the leak off pipe leaving the engine on its way back to the tank. Also cheaper and trouble free.

I seem to remember that you have a Lister SR2 Arthur ?, in which case i expect it is solidly mounted? ''not on flexible rubber mounts'', If so there is no need to have any flexible fuel hose anywhere in the fuel system, it can be copper tube throughout with a few anti-vibration coils made in the last couple of feet in the main fuel feed to the lift pump and a coil or two in the leak off pipe leaving the engine on its way back to the tank. Also cheaper and trouble free.

That's just answered the question I was about to ask...Cheers mate :rolleyes:

It was originally all copper. One bit of it was in very poor condition, which is why he replaced it with this bit of flexible tube. It worried me at the time and still does. I'll get it changed.

Thanks to everyone as ever for the advice.