Dealing with cyclists

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Yes - Assault and incitement

If the boater had a problem with the cyclists he should have contacted the police to deal with the problem. His actions constitute assault and I'm sure the police would be very interested irrespective of his provocation.

And the police would have taken any action against the cyclists???

Of course not!

So the cyclists remain omnipotent........

I propose to carry a long stick (6') to aid my walking - purely to aid my walking.

If a cyclist doesn't notice my partial infirmity, or fails to make themselves known to me when approaching from behind me, or passes too close - - there's always a risk - no matter how remote, that my walking stick may become entangled with their bike........

Edited by Grace & Favour

And the police would have taken any action against the cyclists???

Of course not!

So the cyclists remain omnipotent........

I propose to carry a long stick (6') to aid my walking - purely to aid my walking.

If a cyclist doesn't notice my partial infirmity, or fails to make themselves known to me when approaching from behind me, or passes too close - - there's always a risl - no matter how remote, that my walking stick may become entangled with their bike........

Everybody knows that those walking stick are hard to control, and sometimes seem to live a life of their own

Peter.

I am a boater, avid cyclist, jogger and I also fish ( not on the cut as I like to eat my catch :)

Its all about being considerate to other people and treat everyone the same way that you would like to be treated.

I always dismount on the towpath when people are around, I always slow down past moored boats.

Sadly you will always get people who will just act the way that they want, regardless of other people. I believe its all down to educating people, but thats just my opinion.

Lorraine :)

Would love to get involved in this discussion,however I think I would have the pack of dogs from this forum on mi back again(if you know what I mean)so here's a greenie Lorraine,I agree with the sentiments.

I quite believe it there were very strict rules about the use of bikes.

I was once standing up on the pedals accelerating my bike which had a very high geared ''fixed wheel'' rear sprocket. I never bothered with cycle trouser clips but tucked my trousers in my socks. Well this day my right trouser leg had released itself from my sock and got caught up in the chain and chain wheel and being a fixed wheel your forced to keep your tootsies whirling around with the pedals. Anyhow it all happened in a split second, standing up accelerating as i was the chain-wheel ripped and tore my right trouser leg completely off which caused the left one to fall down also which just left dangling remnants around my ankles. Well i jambed on the brake ''front one only'' which was allowed on a fixed wheel bike and ran into a nearby sweet shop where the owner let me hide in my underpants behind the counter, and then luckily ding ''most shops had a nice dinging door bell in those days'' a mate of mine came in to buy a lollypop so i dispatched him off to my house to inform my sister of the disaster who brought out another pair of pants for me. I used the old bits of trousers to clean my bike for sometime afterwards, you didn't waste anything in those days.

:clapping: :clapping:

By the way, just a front wheel brake is still legal at point of sale, a bike only needs "a system of braking"

Would love to get involved in this discussion,however I think I would have the pack of dogs from this forum on mi back again(if you know what I mean)so here's a greenie Lorraine,I agree with the sentiments.

;) I will give you a 'croggy' on the back of mi bike so that you can zoom in and join in the discussion :) you know what to do with a pack of dogs lol , you just stand your ground ( and us northerners lol never give in to owt hahah) and when you think hmm... I am bored now ..., well just chuck em a few winalot biscuits or even better a some pigs trotters hahhah and they will soon wander off :rolleyes:

p.s. have a glass of dendelion& burdock on me and keep on posting ( but not piccies lol as I just go gagaga :)

Bowten - if you are referring to the thread I think you are a number of us didn't agree with your forthright views about hire boats on the L&L, that is all, it doesn't make us 'a pack of dogs' as you say, just because we don't agree or our experience is different from yours.

Apologies if you are referring to something else that has happened that I've missed.