Engine pulley blank

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

You may be best just buying an appropriate piece of bar stock. I have an Ebay seller somewhere - now, where did I put that...

Richard

Hi Richard

You mean form the whole thing from a fresh slab of steel, I think this was done when I enlarged my engine pulley, but wasn't sure weather it was bought as a blank pulley with the groove already in place, and the engineer just had to drill out the centre fixing holes.

I suppose if the engineer has the dimensions he can create the groove also unsure.gif I do remember leaving him with the original engine pulley though.

Hi Richard

You mean form the whole thing from a fresh slab of steel, I think this was done when I enlarged my engine pulley, but wasn't sure weather it was bought as a blank pulley with the groove already in place, and the engineer just had to drill out the centre fixing holes.

I suppose if the engineer has the dimensions he can create the groove also unsure.gif I do remember leaving him with the original engine pulley though.

Yes, that's what I would expect, except I would probably use a piece of aluminium

Richard

A couple of examples on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Round-Bar-Rod-6-Diam-x-100mm-Long-/15032390410

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/metalmania

Richard

Cheers, I noticed a lot of precision pulleys on e-bay all made from aluminium, I guess the lighter weight is the + factor in this?

How is it going to be secured to the crankshaft? That might have some bearing on the choice of material.

One incidental benefit of starting from scratch is that it's a simple matter to ensure that the Vee groove and centre bore are true to one another.

Tim

Where abouts are you? I have always used Zerney's in Tolpitts Lane Watford, they have all sizes and section, and most can be fitted with a taper lock to suit your shaft diameter.

Given that the OP is nowhere near Watford he needs to go find a small engineering shop who would be able to "turn" a pulley from what ever material he wants. They can reproduce the centre bore to what ever spec is required that would include slot for key if needed

Phil

How is it going to be secured to the crankshaft? That might have some bearing on the choice of material.

One incidental benefit of starting from scratch is that it's a simple matter to ensure that the Vee groove and centre bore are true to one another.

Tim

Something else now I think of it. I wonder what engine this will go on, some engines incorporate a vibration damper in the crankshaft pulley

Richard

Thanks everyone some good tips.

I actually need the pulley to fit on this hub, originally the hub of a 110v generator. I could get it removed probably! but I couldn't undo the grub screws that hold it to the shaft even using heat. Also the hub gives me a possible secondary direct drive using the centre shaft after fitting a pulley to the hub.

The thick part of the hub is 35mm so a hole that size needs reaming out then 4 x 6mm holes drilled to match the 4 threaded holes. The old pin would of course be removed.

What's a bit annoying is that i sent off to a local engineering company my requirements, they didn't reply, when I chased them up they said they couldn't engineer a full pulley and suggested another engineering company. That company has had the details 4 days now and I've chased them up by e-mail tonight, maybe it's a bit of a small job, but work's work in my book, and even if you can't do the job at least inform the customer promptly. Most annoying wacko.gif

Shafthub.jpg

Edited by Julynian

cat-1731-cat.jpg

13 mm v, 5 inch pcd, Al, £14, http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/5_Inch_A_Section_1_Groove_Ally_Pulley-19599-p

You need to get a stock pulley and get it bored out to your dimension, having a special made from solid would be extremely costly, and unnecessary. No one would go down that route unless they REALLY had to.

boring it out, broaching a key way or what ever you want should not be much extra.

Edited by onionbargee