Advice please...about mooring at Brentford

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

I'm currently somewhere near Wallingford...and in a week or so....plan to head down to Brentford.

I have an uncle who lives in an apartment right at the lock...and wish to visit as he's unwell.

Is it easy to find a mooring space there abouts..?

Thank you...in anticipation...

ISTR quite a bit of mooring space about immediately above the tide lock by the flats. Have a look on googlemaps.

Mike

Thanks....not sure about that though..?

My uncle lives in one of the flats and tells me that a lot are residential moorings.

There is a particularly bad maintained old boat below him (opposite services ) and has to look at its rusty roof all of the time.

Edited by Bobbybass

I'm currently somewhere near Wallingford...and in a week or so....plan to head down to Brentford.

I have an uncle who lives in an apartment right at the lock...and wish to visit as he's unwell.

If your referring to the Brentford Gauging Lock, as opposed to the part tidal Thames Lock, then there are normally spaces left by boats who have descended on to the Thames to catch the tide. In my experience, even when busy, there has always been plenty of mooring space under the overhanging wharehouse. You would even be sheltered from any rain, or the sun in this heatwave. Hope your aware that high tide is an hour later than at London Bridge and that Thames Lock is only manned for a period close to high water at Brentford.

Thanks....not sure about that though..?

My uncle lives in one of the flats and tells me that a lot are residential moorings.

There is a particularly bad maintained old boat below him (opposite services ) and has to look at its rusty roof all of the time.

Brentford does have a strip of visitor moorings alongside the services. If you're coming in from the Thames, the visitor moorings are on the left hand side, along the tow path.

personally I wouldn't go under the overhanging warehouses - stinky! However, if you carry on past the first railway bridge, the towpath there often has boats moored too. I shouldn't think you'll have any problem finding a spot.

If your referring to the Brentford Gauging Lock, as opposed to the part tidal Thames Lock, then there are normally spaces left by boats who have descended on to the Thames to catch the tide. In my experience, even when busy, there has always been plenty of mooring space under the overhanging wharehouse. You would even be sheltered from any rain, or the sun in this heatwave. Hope your aware that high tide is an hour later than at London Bridge and that Thames Lock is only manned for a period close to high water at Brentford.

OP If you need a passage through Brentford lock, you need to book in advance. "Any boat wishing to pass through Thames Lock must give 24 hours' notice by telephoning 0208 568 2779".

OP If you need a passage through Brentford lock, you need to book in advance. "Any boat wishing to pass through Thames Lock must give 24 hours' notice by telephoning 0208 568 2779".

Rubbish - this time of year there is no need to book the tide lock. It is manned two hours each side of high tide (during working hours)

As WJM stated, this is not correct. For precise manning times go to C&RT website, in search box type "London Waterways", select "Noticeboards" which gives Latest Notices, under which can be found "Tidal Lock Info' Q3 2012".

All the info' on tides and opening times is given here.

WJM you are such an arse, manners cost nothing! I was attempting to be helpful in my post, the information I posted came from the C&RT website if you care to look. My link Thank you Blaker for the polite reply

Edited by chazzy

Rubbish - this time of year there is no need to book the tide lock. It is manned two hours each side of high tide (during working hours)

Don't bet on it, if the guy is off for a day or on holiday, no ones there. Last year a BW workman turned up just to let us through and advised us it was safer to make a phonecall beforehand.

Edited by jenlyn

WJM you are such an arse, manners cost nothing! I was attempting to be helpful in my post, the information I posted came from the C&RT website if you care to look. My link Thank you Blaker for the polite reply

I can understand your feelings, and think that it's better to make (waist ?) a phonecall to make sure that there'll be a lockkeeper, than not call, and findout that nobody is there to lock you through.

Peter.

And, OP, it's possible to lock through out of normal manned hours, by phoning in advance. We got Simon out of bed at 6am last Easter - he arrived by the lock at precisely 5.59.59 and I suspect was back in bed before we reached the river :)

Guest wanted

I am back in Brentford next week, and am about for a week, you will be able to find a visitor space I am sure. Let me know if you need anything or want a watchful eye over your boat whilst you look after your dad.

That rusty roof? Probably mine ! :)