Worcester and Birmingham Canal

Featured Posts

I need some help please.

As a child in the late 50's and 60's I remember an incident that happened on the Worcs and B'ham Canal at Lifford just up from Kings Norton Junction. Whilst carrying out some dredging work a huge concrete plug was inadvertently dislodged/removed causing the canal to empty into the valley below and flooding some nearby properties. Apparrently there was no mention of this plug on the plans or records from when the canal was built so they didn't know it was there. I can't remember whether it happened in the late 50's or early 60's.

Do any of you remember anything about this and/or if there are any details about it either on the internet or in any books?

I need some help please.

As a child in the late 50's and 60's I remember an incident that happened on the Worcs and B'ham Canal at Lifford just up from Kings Norton Junction. Whilst carrying out some dredging work a huge concrete plug was inadvertently dislodged/removed causing the canal to empty into the valley below and flooding some nearby properties. Apparrently there was no mention of this plug on the plans or records from when the canal was built so they didn't know it was there. I can't remember whether it happened in the late 50's or early 60's.

Do any of you remember anything about this and/or if there are any details about it either on the internet or in any books?

I think this was the late 1960's and was featured in the Birmingham Mail. There are a number of "plugs" on the Worcester Birmingham canal on the embankments.

I think this was the late 1960's and was featured in the Birmingham Mail. There are a number of "plugs" on the Worcester Birmingham canal on the embankments.

Laurence, are they plugs over culverts for maintenance, or are they makeshift repairs with concrete?

Richard

Laurence, are they plugs over culverts for maintenance, or are they makeshift repairs with concrete?

Richard

I would suspect that most canals were built with plugs which allowed water to be drained off into culverts. I certainly have a list of ones on the L&LC, and they are also shown on early survey maps, the ones drawn after a canal was built to identify which land had been taken.

I would suspect that most canals were built with plugs which allowed water to be drained off into culverts. I certainly have a list of ones on the L&LC, and they are also shown on early survey maps, the ones drawn after a canal was built to identify which land had been taken.

Yes wooden plugs were standard practice on the W.B and we have one on the Barge Canal at Salwarpe drains through a brick circular culvert into the River Salwarpe. It was superbly rebuilt by the WRG 'Miners' with the brook culvert. They stood on empty bread trays to keep feet dry most of the time.