What's the Erewash Like at the moment

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hello

Has anyone been along the Erewash recently. We're hoping for a tootle up there this weekend

We struggled with the weed last year and had to turn around at one point when a tree trunk was blocking a lock

Thanks

Hello

Has anyone been along the Erewash recently. We're hoping for a tootle up there this weekend

We struggled with the weed last year and had to turn around at one point when a tree trunk was blocking a lock

Thanks

Hi

Drove along side it on the stretch through Long eaton this afternoon and most days. It is chocker block weed and completely green :(

Tim

Thanks mrsmelly- might be going up the Soar now

Personaly and only my opinion but for me it would be no contest. I luv the soar and the Trent way above any canal, but of course its nice to do em all :cheers:

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

What's mooring like on the Soar? Can you leave a boat from one w/e to the next in some places as you can on the canals? On the map, it looks as if it goes from river to canal and back several times. Do the canal bits have mooring places that are unrestricted?

I hope someone know!

Thanks,

Mary

wet

Further update if anyone is interested. I was at trent lock last evening and the erewash looks like a football field. The canal is completely and utterly covered with thick green weed and no water is visible anywhere. :(

Tim

Yup - - it's that bad.

Even the ducks are walking across it!

Sawley cut would be far more practical a refuge

And a much longer walk to the station.... i can see some 6am starts. Oh the horror!

I was thinking I might take refuge above Trent lock in wait for my sprint to Wolverhampton. Is it that bad?

Hi

I would say it is very very bad. The weed is that thick that the canal is indecernable and the area is dangerous to non canal users who might honestly think it is a grassed over public park. There are quite often spaces on the pontoons just outside the lock you could try there :cheers:

Tim

Hi

I would say it is very very bad. The weed is that thick that the canal is indecernable and the area is dangerous to non canal users who might honestly think it is a grassed over public park. There are quite often spaces on the pontoons just outside the lock you could try there :cheers:

Tim

I'll be hovering for an indeterminate time; possibly pushing my luck a tad on such limited VMs so blocking the pontoons might be mean. I need to stay a walk from the station whilst striking distance of the canal if rain strikes. At worst it' ll be alimited window to get past Alrewas and onto the unrestricted system.

Sawley cut it will be. I need the exercise anyhoo.

Cheers though.

I'll be hovering for an indeterminate time; possibly pushing my luck a tad on such limited VMs so blocking the pontoons might be mean. I need to stay a walk from the station whilst striking distance of the canal if rain strikes. At worst it' ll be alimited window to get past Alrewas and onto the unrestricted system.

Sawley cut it will be. I need the exercise anyhoo.

Cheers though.

Have you given up your mooring on the soar ? Pm me when you are at Sawley cut and we can have a beer :cheers:

Tim

And a much longer walk to the station.... i can see some 6am starts. Oh the horror!

Not sure which station you need but there is a good bus service from Sawley to Long Eaton and Nottingham stations. Timetable here. (Note, the Sawley times would be between Long Eaton and Castle Donnington times shown).

Jim

Have you given up your mooring on the soar ? Pm me when you are at Sawley cut and we can have a beer :cheers:

Tim

Yes, in anticipation of the move back west.

That'll be groovy!

Not sure which station you need but there is a good bus service from Sawley to Long Eaton and Nottingham stations. Timetable here. (Note, the Sawley times would be between Long Eaton and Castle Donnington times shown).

Jim

Cheers but much less than an hour and I'd rather walk. Less chance of missing the bus!

Hiya,

What's mooring like on the Soar? Can you leave a boat from one w/e to the next in some places as you can on the canals? On the map, it looks as if it goes from river to canal and back several times. Do the canal bits have mooring places that are unrestricted?

I hope someone know!

Thanks,

Mary

Hello Mary ---- the short answer is 'yes'. Zouch cut & Loughborough are good places, but several others as well.

Hi,

I was at Trent Lock on Monday afternoon and there were a few boats coming down the Erewash and a couple going up.

The weed looks like a lawn,and I believe a few dogs have tried to walk on it,but it doesn't seem to have any effect on boats,Just very unsightly.

Fred.

You would struggle with raw water cooling though.

Edited by FredW