Not such a likkle boat

Featured Posts

Good Morning all- I have been a member for a while but have just digested info, banter, comedy etc & the other day popped me cherry & did my first post in the 'new to boating' section at the top, page 41).

Now then, assuming you will have read my little introduction post I now need a little advice. All comments welcome & micky taking more than welcome. Thick skin here in Sunny (I kid you not!) Coventry.

Our boat is being extended from 30 to 40ft. Revised dimensions to give you a flavour. From stern, all centre corridor until end of galley;

Counter (2ft 7'')

Trad under engine area & back cabin are to become one 'mostly a day use when cruising area'. (3ft 5'' + 4ft 2'')removing bulkhead.

'Bog & wash' rejig to close corridor & make room (4ft).

Galley 'L' shape (6ft 3'')

'L' Shape dinette for munching / kipping (6ft 3'')

Open plan area with 'Boatman' stove & god forbid even a little telly (7ft 4'')

well & Bow (6ft).

General; 12v, 2 Leisure & 1 Engine batts ,single Alternator, 1500BMC full recon.

=40ft

Question; I want a little stove in the back cabin. Thinking Faversham / Salamnader 'pipsqueak' / another?

As you can see from above, the engine & back cabin area is only 7ft 7 inches. It will have 4ft side 'make up' benches for occasional guests. So what likkle stove do you suggest for 'on top of' the engine area to the side?

My final question is whether to stay with cassette or not?......... My current stereo does not take CD's & I am considering 'pumping out' music via a CD player. What do you think? :rolleyes:

She aint no 'Lionel Monkey' winner but we love her so so much & spending saved cash on her. Rather this than waste on poxy foreign holidays or giving to the kids to waste etc. They can wait until I dont wake up again.

Looking forward to joining in with the forums

Kevin Ronnie & Donna

Edited by Ronniesonic

Welcome, Kevin. From your brace of posts so far, it looks as if you will liven the place up a bit.

Why not look for an existing 40-footer? It may be a cheaper option than having a stretch, as long as you can find one which you like.

Edited by Athy

We went for the pipsqueak - the only problem is that it is not a log-burner. You can with some difficulty get matchsticks thru' the door, but "logs" - no way !!!

We tried some compressed 'sawdust' that had been compressed into 4" rings - they would not go thru the door and I had to use a chisel to chop them in half.

Having said all that - it lights perfectly, burns almost nothing, and we have managed to keep it in overnight on a few occasions.

It works as it should - maximum cabin temperature at head height got to 54 degrees C and at waist height about 35 degrees C - gave up after that as we couldnt breathe.

Downside - being a 3" flue system its not easy to find non-pipsqueak flue parts and they are expensive.

Pipsqueak - recomended.

We went for the pipsqueak - the only problem is that it is not a log-burner. You can with some difficulty get matchsticks thru' the door, but "logs" - no way !!!

We tried some compressed 'sawdust' that had been compressed into 4" rings - they would not go thru the door and I had to use a chisel to chop them in half.

Having said all that - it lights perfectly, burns almost nothing, and we have managed to keep it in overnight on a few occasions.

It works as it should - maximum cabin temperature at head height got to 54 degrees C and at waist height about 35 degrees C - gave up after that as we couldnt breathe.

Downside - being a 3" flue system its not easy to find non-pipsqueak flue parts and they are expensive.

Pipsqueak - recomended.

Thanks Alan- Bang on what I was looking for. Appreciate the temps. I guess we will have to keep her back doors open... so to speak.

I will approach Salamander to discuss terms. The back cabin had a stove previously in her life with a 'hole' already in place, albeit covered up. I wonder what the overall price will be inclusive of collar & the other gubbins. I will report back

The Boatman is a good, very simple stove, but small-medium size. I get the impression that the OP wants one of the tiny ones which would occupy less floor space.

cheers Athy. You are correct.

I spent some time researching small stoves and the one I chose was the Boatman

http://www.boatmanstove.co.uk/

Also they even altered one to fit the existing set up I had ...and the price was good

I love the Boatman stove. Have done business with Eddie of Northern Fabrications before. A Boatman confirmed for the bow end.

Welcome, Kevin. From your brace of posts so far, it looks as if you will liven the place up a bit.

Why not look for an existing 40-footer? It may be a cheaper option than having a stretch, as long as you can find one which you like.

Athy- Pondered for ages the keep vs sell scenario. I decided to keep Donna & the boat :captain:

I always regretted selling my Chopper bike when I was a kid for some fandangled trendier '5 speed' racer.

We love our boat, thus the challenge, excitement & heart in mouth probability is a calculated risk. We intend to keep until clogs pop.

As they say, you only live once.

She will be renamed (out of the water at the wench's request- I do not do hocus pocus superstition)'S'argamassa'. The place where we first went on Holiday together in Ibiza. Back in a time when I could still take my top off without Greenpeace chucking me back in the sea when I fell asleep on the beach.

I will update on progress.

Shall I start a bog or CC thread to put the cat amoungst the pigeons? Not yet, still got a pile so naughty step may prove uncomfortable

:smiley_offtopic:

Our boat is being extended from 30 to 40ft.

Only thing that occurs is this; if you are going to stretch from 30 to 40 foot, consider going to 50 which I have always thought of as the turning point for space in a narrow boat. After all the actual length of the job is not the most expensive thing and the cost of an extra 10 foot may be attractive.

Only thing that occurs is this; if you are going to stretch from 30 to 40 foot, consider going to 50 which I have always thought of as the turning point for space in a narrow boat. After all the actual length of the job is not the most expensive thing and the cost of an extra 10 foot may be attractive.

fair shout Chris. Did consider this, varying between 10-20ft addition. Twofold as to why not. Additional Cost & existing short swims. Having one awkward girl to deal with is enough. :lol:

Only time will tell, but as stated, no plan to ever sell & we are frugal about space reqd to function & be fairly comfy.

30ft was ok actually, but a smidgen more will be like having a palace.

I / we can wash by hand, cook on a hob, carry a cassette & coal & do not mind Council TV. 5 channels is too many anyway. CD player a must though.

We love simple, practical boating, but each to their own. The less to go wrong the better.

Appreciate your knowledge & guidance moving forward.

KR

• 2 weeks later...

hey KR

when i got miracle i was on the hunt for a tiny burner. I looked at pipsqueak and nearly got one. but as others have mentioned it means that for flue and fittings your sort of obliged to keep with their brand.

I'm a die hard for made in UK and always try to find and support local business. I know some people arent..for me its a really powerful factor in purchasing.

I found Mr Jon Snow in the south.. because he won a Churhill Fund Grant (for those who show exceptional skill and craftsmanship) - and it was love at first site - I was hooked. Read his site and how he works, and check the pictures.

I found him super accomodating - even in the middle of harvest season he got me my burner on time.

http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/

His stoves look fine, but I just LOVE his delightfully dotty "Tow-a-Vardo". The price quotes for "decoration - restrained" and "decoration - unrestrained" are a pleasingly eccentric touch too.

I know!^ they're cool, right? I started day dreaming about those today when i went to his site to get the link. I didn't find him until i needed the Wendy burner, but I've mentioned him to a few people now and was pleased to find a friend of mine has had the louis model for over 4 years.

I really loved the first time I made tea on Wendy's top. It's not something you'd expect to be able to do on such a tiny stove, but it fit my kettle fine.