a new set off batteries

swift1894

Featured Posts

I've had a set of vinces batteries for 2 1/2 years now and they're starting to show their age. Down to 11.4 the other day. Doh.

Would love some more.

I've had a set of Vince's batteries for over 3 years now. When I first got them I though, for £25 each - if they last a year, I'll be happy. They are starting to loose capacity now and I think I'll have to replace them before Winter sets in, but I've been well chuffed.

I have looked after them and I'm convinced that the 2 x 85W solar panels have helped to prolong their life.

Just a shame that his source dried up :(

I might as well ask it here - hope it dooes not upset anyone.

My batteries will need replacing, they are wet 110 's six of them wired for 24Volts. They have lasted 4 years and are treated very gently, charged by solar, engine and gennie...rarely go below 70%

Question is:

Should i buy another set of the same or go for 125's sealed? They seem much the same price and appear to have a guarantee...i know...

I might as well ask it here - hope it dooes not upset anyone.

My batteries will need replacing, they are wet 110 's six of them wired for 24Volts. They have lasted 4 years and are treated very gently, charged by solar, engine and gennie...rarely go below 70%

Question is:

Should i buy another set of the same or go for 125's sealed? They seem much the same price and appear to have a guarantee...i know...

Well I've gone back to wets. At least you can look inside them and top up if necessary.

I tend to agree...

My friend had been crowing about his fancy - read expensve - AGM batteries and getting 10 years out of them...

He puts the "M" into Meticulous so i know it won't be his charging regime, they are already showing signs of deterioration after 2 years - much to his annoyance.

He thinks he was sold on a bit of manufacturer smoke and mirrors...cheap wets for me again then.

...cheap wets for me again then.

Probably worth avoiding the cheapest unbranded 'barrel scrapings' and looking for some sort of known brand.

Maintenance free may work best with a higher than normal charging voltage, seems not everyone knows about it or has the charging equipment to suit.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

When you see batteries ask the detailed questions about the charging voltages. Some batteries work best at slightly different charging voltages from others. It's as well to get the charger set to the voltage that the cells need to prolong their life. I did once see some Yuasa UPS batteries that were warrantied for 10 years BUT the float voltage was specified to +/-5mV

When you see batteries ask the detailed questions about the charging voltages. Some batteries work best at slightly different charging voltages from others. It's as well to get the charger set to the voltage that the cells need to prolong their life. I did once see some Yuasa UPS batteries that were warrantied for 10 years BUT the float voltage was specified to +/-5mV

Are any battery chargers capable of having their float voltage set to +/-5mV? Does the average multimeter, or panel voltmeter, read to this accuracy? What about voltage drop along the cables?

It sounds like a bit of a 'get out' to me.