240v and 12v

Tesla

Featured Posts

Thanks. So all the boaters who run their engines every day or start up at 7am to boil a kettle just haven't got enough batteries.

Basically. But electric heating with batteries is just daft.

They probably have a 240V kettle and a Travelpower generator, and no other way to make tea, which would be daft design in a different way.

When waiting overnight on the trots (river mooring buoys) to take part in the Jubilee pageant, we were close behind an ex-police launch & they would start their (substantial) engine every hour or so for just a few minutes. It was probably quite quiet for them on board, but for us with their transom exhaust facing us directly a few feet away it was unpleasantly noisy. It took a couple of these events for me to realise that they were doing it to make a brew. Basically a day boat though, so a different case from a holiday or residential boat.

Tim

They probably have a 240V kettle and a Travelpower generator, and no other way to make tea, which would be daft design in a different way.

When waiting overnight on the trots (river mooring buoys) to take part in the Jubilee pageant, we were close behind an ex-police launch & they would start their (substantial) engine every hour or so for just a few minutes. It was probably quite quiet for them on board, but for us with their transom exhaust facing us directly a few feet away it was unpleasantly noisy. It took a couple of these events for me to realise that they were doing it to make a brew. Basically a day boat though, so a different case from a holiday or residential boat.

Tim

Another problem is the fumes coming into our boat. We had to close our doors every time the engine started :-(

Thanks. So all the boaters who run their engines every day or start up at 7am to boil a kettle just haven't got enough batteries.

There is no rule to say that if you have 240 volts you cant have gas as well, they even do it in houses. :rolleyes:

But I know what you are getting at. You mean all electric boats. just because it doesn't have a 12 volt system does not mean everything is electric.

I am still waiting to hear what sort of water pump, shower pump and bilge pump it has.

There is no rule to say that if you have 240 volts you cant have gas as well, they even do it in houses. :rolleyes:

But I know what you are getting at. You mean all electric boats. just because it doesn't have a 12 volt system does not mean everything is electric.

I am still waiting to hear what sort of water pump, shower pump and bilge pump it has.

So, a bit more information on the setup...

The water pump and shower pump are 240v. The bilge pump (manual only) is 12v via the starter battery.

There are 4 leisure batteries (gel) that are paired to create 24v. Each bank has its own battery charger for when on the grid, and a 24v alternator when not. A 2nd 12v alternator services the starter battery.

The inverter is a Mastervolt mass sine 24/2500. Lighting, sockets, hob, microwave, water and shower pump are all 240v.

A stovex stove provides heating.

The boat is gas-free, which I figure would need to change before any long term cruising (cheaper than a diesel cooker etc?)

Pretty sure I would prefer 12v as well, but guess we will have to see have it all performs post purchase (assuming we do purchase!).

The water pump and shower pump are 240v. The bilge pump (manual only) is 12v via the starter battery.

There are 4 leisure batteries (gel) that are paired to create 24v. Each bank has its own battery charger for when on the grid, and a 24v alternator when not. A 2nd 12v alternator services the starter battery.

The inverter is a Mastervolt mass sine 24/2500. Lighting, sockets, hob, microwave, water and shower pump are all 240v.

A stovex stove provides heating.

The boat is gas-free, which I figure would need to change before any long term cruising (cheaper than a diesel cooker etc?)

Pretty sure I would prefer 12v as well, but guess we will have to see have it all performs post purchase (assuming we do purchase!).

How long did the previous owner have it? How many hours has the engine done? Why is he getting rid of it? Could be he found it was completely impractical .

How long did the previous owner have it? How many hours has the engine done? Why is he getting rid of it? Could be he found it was completely impractical .

Family owned since new (1991) and a new engine (500hours). It needs a fair bit of work internally to get it as we want it, but is good to go, we took her out today and all sees ok bar a whine at certain revs due to a worn prop shaft (cheap to replace?).

As for what the boat is worth and what it would cost to get as we want it, I think we are into length of string territory...which is quite scary.

What's 'cheap' in your mind?

Two and sixpence :rolleyes:

Assuming the boat is out of the water anyway, around £100 for the propshaft, same agin for fitting? Or am I way off?

!).

I have no idea where you would go for a new one if you needed it.

I have no idea where you would go for a new one if you needed it.

Do you mean the water pump? Interestingly the old pump for the pump out toilet tank (now converted to cassette) appears to be 24v so maybe the water pump is also?

Any services that are 240v are at risk of inverter failure. I suggest that any critical 240v services need to have redundancy of supply, ie another source of 240v.

Yes, this would be my worry.

Just look through the forum to see how many people have top of the range high power inverters fail.

You could simply have available multiple inverters I guess ?

A Travelpower as backup will not help for anything you need to power at times you are not allowed to run an engine - cabin lights being an obvious example!

Many inverters are only about 90% efficient, so if everything were inverter powered, your batteries would need maybe 10% more recharging than they would for a boat where everything was dedicated 12 volts, but otherwise equivalent in terms of rate power consumption.

Do you mean the water pump? Interestingly the old pump for the pump out toilet tank (now converted to cassette) appears to be 24v so maybe the water pump is also?

If that is the case, then not everything is 240 volts AC. I suggest you check everything very carefully yourself and not take the word of the vendor

If that is the case, then not everything is 240 volts AC. I suggest you check everything very carefully yourself and not take the word of the vendor

Seems the water pump is 240v so not ideal. Lots to think about but overall the boat is good, I'll just need a degree in battery management...

Maybe deduct the installed price of an cocooned genny plus more batts, or full gas cooking and water heating, plus something for inconvenience, and offer that.

cheers,

Pete.