Barking creek

Nathan90

Featured Posts

Has anyone one out there been up the river roding or barking creek as its also known. I know it's tidal and that it's navigable up until ilford but I'm just curious if anyone had had any experience.

Also if it is possible to cruise and moor up there is there a skipper out there who would like to do the trip with me from limehouse as I don't fancy my chances on the Thames alone

Has anyone one out there been up the river roding or barking creek as its also known. I know it's tidal and that it's navigable up until ilford but I'm just curious if anyone had had any experience.

Also if it is possible to cruise and moor up there is there a skipper out there who would like to do the trip with me from limehouse as I don't fancy my chances on the Thames alone

Pictures from a trip a few years ago:

http://www.pbase.com/timlewis/barking_creek&page=all

The trip was organised by St Pancras cruising club who are doing another one on 28th/29th July:

http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk/content/updated-cruising-programme-april-2012

If you want to join them get in contact as you do not have to be a SPCC to take part in their cruises.

Tim

If you would like me to come along with a VHF radio, let me know and I will see what I can do! I've done quite a bit of tideway cruising (not least all the recent rehearsals for the pageant.

Simon Judge

Simon may know more about this then me but the SPCC - click here - were planning a trip up to Barking Creek this summer but I am not sure how they are getting over sports day complications. If it is on then I do thoroughly recommend it, it is a great trip and the boats at the top end of Barking Creek are exceptionally welcoming, for Sue's write up of a previous trip click here and on following pages and yes timing is everything when it comes to water levels.

Edit: Should have read Tim's post first!

Edited by RichardN

Nathan

I was born near the Thames at Barking and had generations of family brought up by the Rushing Waters as it was known.

The creek has a tidal barrier (not the big one at the entrance off the Thames) and this should keep the basin in water at low tide. The River Roding which feeds it does largely dry out at low tide.

Its not a big deal - main worries are the boat (is it reliable; do you have an anchor etc), tide times, the Woolwich Ferries (don't get in their way) and make sure there is somewhere to moor before setting off. I would also carry VHF for talking to London VTS and negotiating the Thames Barrier.

Why do you want to go there - Mount Everest principle (because its there) ??

Edited by NB Willawaw

• 3 weeks later...

Simon that is very nice of you I really appreciate the offer but having been to have a look this little stretch of river is empty of any water!!! A no go zone I think

They do tend to dry out at low tide...

DSCN0141.jpg

Not Barking Creek but an equally muddy one in Essex.

I have signed up for the SPCC cruise going out next Saturday 28th probably around 6:30am and a return trip probably leaving Barking at 8am on SUnday 29th. Times are still up in the air, something to do with Sports Day, the organisers are still working hard to get approvals in place. Saturday's start is at a cruel hour, particularly as I won't get to the boat till 2am if I am lucky, Sunday is a bit better but still early and both may change due to security requirements.

This is an SPCC Cruise so I am sure it will be extremely well organised and they are expert at Thames tideway cruising. That said Barking Creek is an extreme trip for a narrowboat, it is a trip you only do at your own risk. If anyone is interested in coming along (NB you will be crew not passengers), please PM me or contact me via the blog at http://indigodream.wordpress.com/

Richard