River Severn

keble

Featured Posts

This arrived today:

River Severn Locks and Obstruction

Monday 18 June 2012 until further notice

Please be advised that due to rising River Levels Upper Lode Lock is closed.

The rest of the River Severn is in Flood Condition

There is a fallen tree by The White Horse which is partially blocking the Channel.  British Waterways are working to remove this as soon as possible.

Boaters are advised to take precaution when approaching this area.

Enquiries: 01452 318000

More stoppages on this waterway: http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/river-severn/boating/stoppages

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Bizarrely on waterscape they refer to the above as a restriction, not a stoppage!

I heard there were a lot of boats in Glos dock waiting to go up river

This arrived today:

River Severn Locks and Obstruction

Monday 18 June 2012 until further notice

Please be advised that due to rising River Levels Upper Lode Lock is closed.

The rest of the River Severn is in Flood Condition

There is a fallen tree by The White Horse which is partially blocking the Channel. British Waterways are working to remove this as soon as possible.

Enquiries: 01452 318000

More stoppages on this waterway: http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/river-severn/boating/stoppages

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Bizarrely on waterscape they refer to the above as a restriction, not a stoppage!

I heard there were a lot of boats in Glos dock waiting to go up river

Legally, the Severn itself can not be closed, it is the King's (or Queen's) highway, a status almost unique to a navigation.

The lock cuts can be closed, because they are not actually on the river :wacko:

Edited to get it right!

Edited by magpie patrick

It's as high at Worcester now as it was last week when it definitely would have been exciting.

We had planned to do the Droitwich Loop on our way back but decided against it due to the forecast rain. It looked very tempting on Saturday when it was all in the green, but we would now be stuck at Hawford if we had and running out of time.

I wonder how the Starline boats, based at Upton, get on? there seems to be a few around the Stourport area, presumably unable to get back.

It's as high at Worcester now as it was last week when it definitely would have been exciting.

We had planned to do the Droitwich Loop on our way back but decided against it due to the forecast rain. It looked very tempting on Saturday when it was all in the green, but we would now be stuck at Hawford if we had and running out of time.

I wonder how the Starline boats, based at Upton, get on? there seems to be a few around the Stourport area, presumably unable to get back.

But... but.. but...

The EA website (supposedly updated at 04:00am this morning) claims the levels are well in the green. EA Severn Levels

Is this website not to be trusted? I only ask because I'm using it to keep track of river levels myself.

But... but.. but...

The EA website (supposedly updated at 04:00am this morning) claims the levels are well in the green. EA Severn Levels

Is this website not to be trusted? I only ask because I'm using it to keep track of river levels myself.

There is a difference between what the EA regard as a flood, and what is a flood for navigation. To the EA, it is only a flood when it's going over doorsteps and getting someone's slippers wet, to the boater, it is when navigation gets tricky or a boat won't fit under the bridges (and in the latter this is voice of experience, I didn't know tubular hand rails bent so readily!)

Yes, the green on the EA gauges has nothing to do with green on the lock level boards. E.g. a level of 1.10 on the Worcester gauge, i.e. barely off the bottom, was just in the yellow when we went down through Diglis last week.

There is a fallen tree by The White Horse which is partially blocking the Channel.  British Waterways are working to remove this as soon as possible.

Would have been useful to boaters that are not familiar with the Severn if BW had stated exactly where on the river the White Horse is.

I'm assuming that they are referring to the Chinese restaurant on the reach below the Upper Parting.

Would have been useful to boaters that are not familiar with the Severn if BW had stated exactly where on the river the White Horse is.

I'm assuming that they are referring to the Chinese restaurant on the reach below the Upper Parting.

It would. I don't know it myself, but Google is with you (Sandhurst lane).

Today's BW update:

Please be advised that Upper Lode Lock is in flood condition but the rest of the river is now open

(the tree is still there).

Another interesting thing, I found a water cam at Diglis here

That looks useful :)

I see that the Severn is closed to navigation from both Stourport and Diglis again. Arse. And it looks so serene on the Diglis-cam.

(should have got suspicious when we were the only boat going down Tardebigge against a steady procession coming up)

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Was rowing at Ironbridge on Saturday and the stream was flowing pretty quickly - made the starts interesting! The river level must have risen over 2ft during the day and the regatta was abandoned early and cancelled for the Sunday as it was just getting too dodgy :(

I see that the Severn is closed to navigation from both Stourport and Diglis again. Arse. And it looks so serene on the Diglis-cam.

(should have got suspicious when we were the only boat going down Tardebigge against a steady procession coming up)

We did wonder if Tardebigge was open but as we are stuck at Upton it doesn't really matter.

After Damian reported there were no flood stoppages the river Severn was closed. Now it is open but still in flood!

Curious! Are you still at Upton? We're hoping to be there on Saturday.

Which way are you coming from?

Stoppage does appear to have diskappeared from the Waterscape site, but I've got the webcams permanently open on Stensham (Avon) and Diglis (Severn) locks just to keep an eye on the levels from day to day. Stensham lock is like Piccadilly circus, but I've yet to see anyone go through Diglis. And the levels look much the same as yesterday when the stoppage was still in force. Is it open but no-one is stupid enough to actually risk it?