2012 excersion down the South Oxford

pete23

Featured Posts

Just an update on disasters & they all seemed to happen yesterday so far! 1. Dog fell off back of boat but fortunately was tied on so Pete managed to scoop her out - this is not the first time this has happened - hence being tied on. 2. Got stuck in lock 42 Roundham Lock, Kidlington following several attempts finally got out by flushing out with both top paddles open - we now dreaded the return trip. 3. Fiona thats me (Petes wife) managed to crush exhaust chimney, bend roof and crack silencer. Engine room now full of exhaust smoke & stinks - Pete managed to keep his thoughts to himself! Finally moored on lock approach at Dukes Cut under sign which said Lock approach only. The only other moorings available were for long term permit holders only. Today absolutely vile - cold & extremely wet. Down Dukes Lock - also quite tight, winded, back up lock eventually after several attempts rammed boat past gate - wot is it with the gates in this neck of the woods. Its no good when you are boating an 1890 banana shaped boat with an engine that had 18 horse power in 1934! We finally gave up at Thrupp & moored up outside the Jolly Boatman Pub- both of us cold & very wet & feeling far from Jolly. Fiona & Pete

Hi guy's...

Were you the very nice sounding engine in a BCN looking hull that went down yesterday? You had the engine room doors shut so I couldn't see what was inside.

I'm between Langford bridge and the Wharf (just down from the JB)

Roundham is always a problem for any reasonably draughted boat ;)

Welcome to the muddy ditch, but the scenery makes up for it.

Yes that was us, I remember going past your boat. If you are interested engine is a 1934 Thornycroft. It is a dirty beast oil everywhere on the engine and soot everywhere on us & the outside of the boat. No such thing as staying clean when Duncan (thats the engine) is on the go. Soot on hands, clothes & soot smudges on face - we have to have a soot check of each other before we enter civilisation eg shop. Well our 3 week holiday this year is obviously going to be a wash out - another 2 weeks & we will be back on our mooring. Nice to hear from you.

Yes that was us, I remember going past your boat. If you are interested engine is a 1934 Thornycroft. It is a dirty beast oil everywhere on the engine and soot everywhere on us & the outside of the boat. No such thing as staying clean when Duncan (thats the engine) is on the go. Soot on hands, clothes & soot smudges on face - we have to have a soot check of each other before we enter civilisation eg shop. Well our 3 week holiday this year is obviously going to be a wash out - another 2 weeks & we will be back on our mooring. Nice to hear from you.

Hi guy's...

Were you the very nice sounding engine in a BCN looking hull that went down yesterday? You had the engine room doors shut so I couldn't see what was inside.

I'm between Langford bridge and the Wharf (just down from the JB)

Roundham is always a problem for any reasonably draughted boat ;)

Welcome to the muddy ditch, but the scenery makes up for it.

Hopefully Pete23 won't mind me posting a link to some pics of his boat and Duncan....

(Duncan! <<<smirk>>>) :D

http://s767.photobuc...Pete23s%20boat/

Mike

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Duncan will have his work cut out for him today. I expect the river section (Cherwell) above Shipton lock will be starting to flow well.

You may want to consider pushing on up to above Nell Bridge lock ASAP. If the rain continues and the river level rises the clearance on the bridge in to Nell Bridge lock becomes very restriced.

Good fun this boating lark.......... :lol:

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Duncan will have his work cut out for him today. I expect the river section (Cherwell) above Shipton lock will be starting to flow well.

You may want to consider pushing on up to above Nell Bridge lock ASAP. If the rain continues and the river level rises the clearance on the bridge in to Nell Bridge lock becomes very restriced.

Good fun this boating lark.......... :lol:

erm, did,nt think about nell bridge and the levels :closedeyes:

went up the cherwell today, although near the top of the yellow it was,nt a prob.

nearly gave up trying to get into "dashwood" lock, five atempts later we got in :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

hmm. interesting.... I am looking at doing the Oxford Ring, Thames, Oxford Canal, then down Grand Union in my first nice long trip. So are we saying that overnight moorings are tricky on the Oxford...?? and the locks are tricky too??? That might present a problem on my own. Anything else I should know about from anyone experienced at this trip? This is my first bigger excursion. All advice gratefully received! I am looking at all this rain as well and wondering ..

hmm. interesting.... I am looking at doing the Oxford Ring, Thames, Oxford Canal, then down Grand Union in my first nice long trip. So are we saying that overnight moorings are tricky on the Oxford...?? and the locks are tricky too??? That might present a problem on my own. Anything else I should know about from anyone experienced at this trip? This is my first bigger excursion. All advice gratefully received! I am looking at all this rain as well and wondering ..

As a resident Thames boater....

Overnight moorings are not tricky - but do tend to get a bit full in hbigh season. If mooring on Christ Chrch meadow (near the college boathouses) do find a ring set into the bank wall at one end or other - folks do get cast off in the middle of the night.

Better to moor just above Osney lock where the locals are moe friendly. Also quicker to walk into the City which you MUST VISIT. Allow at least half a day. Use the streets that run parallel to the "main drags" - much more pleasant.

Locks are easy to operate - Do READ the instructions if unmanned.

Some of the locks are quite deep and you ARE REQUIRED (for really sensible safety reasons) to put a line up at both ends of the boat. Use a long centre line to chuck up to the lockie / assistant to catch and hold you in while yo put your lines fore and aft. Do NOT get stroppy about 2 lines - just do it.

All locks have internal stairs (civilised) to get you up topside so operating the lock on self service is not to terrible.

Many lockies are narrowboat friendly because "we" often navigate better than the locals

Download a copy of the BMF guide clicky here

Or the older but more concise EA guide clicky here

If you do the ring "downstream" from the Oxford you'll find the locks easier to work as you'll be entering them at the top ! - so you can fix your own ropes before you descend. The River flow will also speed your journey - give you more time to explore....

Edited by OldGoat

nell bridge was in the yellow @ noon on sunday 24 jun - with 2 foot to spare on my boat - so no problem. There are no problems on the oxford - maybe lift bridge 205 in lower heyford - is the only rubic cube item. The thames locks are ok - if you use one long rope from pointy end to blunt end. The moorings are more plentiful than on the canal. You'll have a wonderful time -the rest of us have got to go back to work.

ken

At the most southerly end of the Oxford you could say moorings aren't that plentiful but it really isn't a big issue. I think the Oxford is my second favourite canal - and I'm a Northerner! It's a lovely trip all the way up the Thames and the Oxford/GU and there's very little to worry about. The (two?) diamond shaped locks can be a bit challenging, and it gets very congested around Cropredy when the Folk festival is on, but the main problem - water - shouldn't be a problem this year, should it?

Dashwood lock is the one just above heyford isn't it? Gorgeous lock, I uses to teach hirers how to use this lock as it was their first one going up. Nose into the bridge hole dead slow and then stern hard over into the bushes on the right hand side, then she will slip in. Lovely! I miss boating so much!