A new beginning,a reformed boat.

iteldoo4me

Featured Posts

Well at last ,Hixons paid up for their cock up,and I recieved a cheque for £2974.20 which will pay for all the work to be done,actually in process of that as I speak! So it does pay to persevere,and my quest also continues to attempt some legislation in this country to protect the innocent boat buyers,unaware that rogues are about!

If the moderators of this site feel concerned in fear of liable by me putting my builders name down,I do have the judgement order showing it in my favour against them.So if if you would like a copy you are welcome to it,as the same as Waterways World,Canal Boat, and Towpath Talk, who have recieved copies,to enable them to print the articles they promised they would.I await in anticipation!

Thank you all for your your support whilst I flogged what on many occasions i thought was a dead horse,I am gratefull for the strength you gave me not to give up.See you on the cut. Regards.Marc (Iteldoo4me)

Waterways World,Canal Boat, and Towpath Talk, have recieved copies,to enable them to print the articles they promised they would.I await in anticipation!

Well done Marc, I too look forward to the articles. At Crick I spoke to the editor of a waterways magazine not mentioned here, (They recently changed their name, does that give you a clue?) We talked about a wide beam boat well chronicled on this site and the article which was mentioned as possibly being published in their March 2006 issue. It didn't appear. Although he was aware of the boat, there is no way he would publish such an article for fear of litigation, the question of advertising revenue didn't come into it.

I put it to him that if he restricted his remarks to the facts, he should be alright. However he wasn't prepared to take the risk. I don't thinks his previous job was with one of the Sunday tabloids somehow.....

Tony :P

Edited by tony collins

Congratulations!

I am so glad you got paid in the end - as I say so often, getting the judgement is one thing, getting the money off the Defendant can be another problem. I'm really pleased that you didn't have to go through any more heartache.

Perseverance pays!

Chrissie

Well done Marc, and since all appears to have been resolved in your favour I see no reason to edit anything. I do feel that many would have given up and put it down to 'experience' so I do admire your tenacity and thank you for sharing what must have been a very traumatic time.

Well at last ,Hixons paid up for their cock up,and I recieved a cheque for £2974.20 which will pay for all the work to be done,actually in process of that as I speak! So it does pay to persevere,and my quest also continues to attempt some legislation in this country to protect the innocent boat buyers,unaware that rogues are about!

If the moderators of this site feel concerned in fear of liable by me putting my builders name down,I do have the judgement order showing it in my favour against them.So if if you would like a copy you are welcome to it,as the same as Waterways World,Canal Boat, and Towpath Talk, who have recieved copies,to enable them to print the articles they promised they would.I await in anticipation!

Thank you all for your your support whilst I flogged what on many occasions i thought was a dead horse,I am gratefull for the strength you gave me not to give up.See you on the cut. Regards.Marc (Iteldoo4me)

Well done...Er did I hear you say dirnks in the bar? :P

Well at last ,Hixons paid up for their cock up,and I recieved a cheque for £2974.20 which will pay for all the work to be done,actually in process of that as I speak!

Well done you :P

Not a lot of money though considering the grief you've been through, however the warning against them is worth it's weight in gold.

Regards,

Ally P.

Well done...Er did I hear you say dirnks in the bar? :P

Indeed!

Always good to hear of someone getting there in the end, it makes it so worth while.

It was always about the principle,not the money.why should these people assume they have a right to rip us off?,I can soon enjoy my boat,a little late,but worth the journey.

Indeed!

It was always about the principle,not the money.why should these people assume they have a right to rip us off?,I can soon enjoy my boat,a little late,but worth the journey.

Good conclusion Marc though I'm sure you would rather they had honoured their obligations in the first place and not forced you to go through this traumatic, risky and tiring process.

It's strange because I would have thought that all the bad publicity that Hixon have now had to endure was not worth it in terms of lost future business. Who here, and readers of the mags if they publish your story, would now consider buying a boat from them?

There was always the chance they might have won the case, because I know the law is not always on the side of the right, from my experience it frequently does not work that way, but for the sake of the relatively modest sum, compared with the boat's cost, of three grand you'd think they would do the work and maintain your goodwill. In any case it would have cost them much less to do the work themselves than the sum you had to fork out to others to rectify the faults.

What is clear is that some boatbuilders are prepared to do bad work, fail to rectify it and don't give a damn for the consequences of lost business or the customer's trauma or anything else. Not a problem confined to the canal boat industry of course. You've done us all a service by naming this firm, particularly those of us like myself who have been searching for a new boat builder.

regards

Steve

Quote:

It's strange because I would have thought that all the bad publicity that Hixon have now had to endure was not worth it in terms of lost future business. Who here, and readers of the mags if they publish your story, would now consider buying a boat from them?

What is clear is that some boatbuilders are prepared to do bad work, fail to rectify it and don't give a damn for the consequences of lost business or the customer's trauma or anything else.

Unquote.

I suspect that Steve's 2nd point is probably because generally speaking the boatbuilders have no real interest in repeat business - it's not as though we are talking about an item that is replaced/upgraded every few years!

The former point comes about from a knowledge that the majority of disgruntled customers wont persue the matter to the lengths iteldoo4mee has and so the bad publicity isn't widely generated. So well done on your perseverence on that score and I hope you enjoy your finished boat as much as you originally thought you would.

Just out of interest, does anyone here have a bout being built by Hixons, or has anyone cancelled an order due to Marc's revelations?

Or has anyone been looking for a boat builder and nearly picked Hixons until this came out?

I would have though the loss of one order would cost them more than fixing this in the first place.

Just out of interest, does anyone here have a bout being built by Hixons, or has anyone cancelled an order due to Marc's revelations?

Or has anyone been looking for a boat builder and nearly picked Hixons until this came out?

I would have though the loss of one order would cost them more than fixing this in the first place.

Hello dor

I've now found a suitable builder after searching for some time but I never considered Hixon at all following Marc's revelations a while back. Same with a few other firms that I've found out about following messages from readers on the forum

regards

Steve