Smell proof membrane

Featured Posts

Our loo is regularly used, clean and vented.

However, she pongs and i don't like the idea that the missess and I are getting used to it.

Is it worth insulating around the loo, or over time will that become pongy.

Is there a solution to this?

Where is the pong coming from?

I get upset when people don't flush it properly, so everything is washed down and there is a water seal,

We have a hatch very close to the vent and often in hot weather we get a pong coming back in from the vent, an indication to treat the tank again before emptying.

It may be necessary to treat the tank regularly as well as clean it out, to destroy those bacteria (or whatever) that are creating the smell - remember the tank is supposed to hold the waste not decompose it, usually the cause of the smell!

However, she pongs and i don't like the idea that the missess and I are getting used to it.

First of all it is known that even sanitation grade hoses can eventually allow smells to percolate through the wall. The solution to that is new, quality hoses. It is also important to minimise the chances of effluent standing in the hose so if it is a pumped system the hose from the toilet should have a small "uphill" section and then downhill all the way to the tank so the bulk of the hose self drains. The uphill section should be short enough for the flushing water to clear the deposit into the downhill section.

I disagree with the thing about tanks not decomposing the waste - it sounds like the sort of thing PP users say because they are used to preserving their waste.

There are two different types of decomposition anaerobic and aerobic. Both utilise different types of microbes and the anaerobic ones cause smell. In fact sewerage plants use this type of process so they an produce methane to help fuel their generator engines. Aerobic breakdown requires plenty of oxygen so a free flow or air cross the top of the effluent helps maximise the amount of aerobic breakdown. This is why those who have studied the problem usually recommend a breather at each end of the tank of at least 1" or more in diameter. It also helps if you can ensure there is always enough liquid in the tank to allow solid deposits to sink. If you really do have a sealed tank then that may be contributing to your problem. Finally I would advise an additive that is designed to help and encourage the bugs that do aerobic decomposition whilst avoiding toilet cleaning products that might hinder it like most domestic products.

Some people swear by putting yeast into their tank and others use "septic tank" products but typical "marine" outlet products are thinks like Odourloss, Biomagic, or The New Blue Loo Company's blue - this is NOT Elsan blue.

I have seen plastic waste tanks at Lee Sanitation but to be honest I am a little concerned that they may leech smells given time. I have no data to back up this concern - its just a funny internal feeling.

If it pongs all the time even after emptying, it could be that any flexible hose between loo and tank is permeable. Fit rigid pipe or try wrapping hose 100% with self adhesive aluminium tape.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

• 2 weeks later...

Its almost certainly your hoses leaching.

Rip them out and put high quality new ones in. The sooner you do it the better.

Its likely the smell will have impregnated varnish and wood wherever the piperun went - its very pervasive and endures for years. (3 years in and I ma still fighting the remnants of pipe-leached stink in the back cabin).

Strip, white spirit, revarnish. Line any cabinets or pipeboxing with activated charcoal blankets if the smell lingers, and as a final resort apply self adhesive foil to all the surfaces to block the stink.

Good luck.

I think you need to try to identify where the smell is coming from. Lee Sanitation advice to me was to take a damp cloth and wipe over various suspect surfaces and then smell the cloth to see if the smell is leaching through hoses, etc.

Edited by blackrose

I think you need to try to identify where the smell is coming from. Lee Sanitation advice to me was to take a damp cloth and wipe over various suspect surfaces and then smell the cloth to see if the smell is leaching through hoses, etc.

Ditto! But have a bucket handy if the leeching is bad.

Got to change mine next week :sick: I'll be using solid pipe from the back of the loo to the tank (macerator). Even the fancy so called non leeching stuff at £25 a meter still leeches eventually. Check your pipe, it may (should?)have a date stamped on it. Standard stuff lasts as little as a year or two. Make sure the pipe runs have no kinks or sags. Take on board Tony's post. We use Travena products. No Blue or other chemicals. Never had a problem until the pipe round the back started leeching as it had a sag in the run. We even stopped using the Travena stuff for a while and previous whiffs returned. Soon returned to Travena and we now have a system that works for us. We use Septclean 250 for the tank, one sachet each pump out, Bioclean both neat and diluted for cleaning/disinfecting and their descaler occasionally. HTH