Caen Hill & Reading

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

Not long now till my "big cruise" well, big for me. I was wondering, how long on average does it take to clear Caen Hill and are there any decent moorings on the Thames in Reading?

Any advice gratefully received..........

Cheers

Steve

:D Hi there are good moorings near Reading Bridge,just look for the round building, and moorings outside Tesco`s, if you go on the K&A then there are some near the centre of town at Chesnut walk,these are behind the prison,there are plenty more but I hope these may help.Roy n Paula :P

Not long now till my "big cruise" well, big for me. I was wondering, how long on average does it take to clear Caen Hill and are there any decent moorings on the Thames in Reading?

Cheers

Steve

Steve it really does depend on what you consider Caen Hill.

The main flight is 16, but there are a total of 29 locks in 2.25 miles from the middle of Devizes to Foxhanger Wharf.

During the summer you can only access the 'Hill' between 8am and 5pm. There is a posted time for 'last start'.

There is a phone number for the Lockie who will help you up/down the flight, he should be able to tell you how long it takes.

Tel: 01380 722859

There is a nice mooring at the bottom of the hill right next to Rennie's House, but no immediate pub, unless you call a mile walk 'immediate' then there is the Cross Keys at Rowde. There are pubs at the top in Devizes, first one off the top is the Black Horse. I think the nearest at the bottom is the Barge Inn at Seend Cleeve. There is the Three Magpies at Sells Green, a bit closer to the hill but the Barge is right on the waterfront with moorings and a garden.

There is also a Tea Shop at the top of the Hill.

If you meet an old Londoner fishing at the bottom of the hill say 'Hi' from Saudi

Thanks for those, I consider the flight to be all 29......so it sounds like a drink at the top of the main bit, i should be able to manage that! If anyones around about the 9-10 July and fancies a workout..........

Maffi, how will I know if he's a Londoner, fishing people never speak!!

Regards

Steve

Hi put it into Canalplan gave

right.gif Kennet and Avon Canal From hand.right.gifDevizes Top Lock No 50 to: Devizes Bottom Lock No 22

Lower Foxhanger Bridge 2 miles, 0 flg, 29 locks (total 2 miles, 0 flg, 29 locks) Total distance is 2 miles, 0 flg and 29 locks.

Made up of 2 miles, 0 furlongs of broad canals; 29 broad locks.

This will take 5 hours, 32 minutes which is 0 days, 5 hours and 32 minutes at 9 hours per day.

This will take 5 hours, 32 minutes which is 0 days, 5 hours and 32 minutes at 9 hours per day.

When we've done all 29 locks it takes the full day. It's much better if you can breast up with someone it also gives you more hands so you can start to set locks ahead too.

It's quite a challenging flight on a windy day, especially if it's busy and you're meeting a lot of people coming the other way.

Reading itself is quite grim, but Thames side it's fine, the moorings at Tescos seem quite quiet.

In reading - turn left out of the canal onto Thames - 100yds to Tesco (as previously mentioned). Convenient and useful spot if you are going to town, but turn right towards Sonning and after about 1/2 mile there are lots of possible riverside spots for about another 1/2 mile in great country scenery - still only 45 mins walk from town but also only about 5 - 10 mins walk from The Bull in Sonning - good pub (food is expensive but very good)!

Rumour has it to avoid the prison moorings and also the moorings further up from Tesco by a big park as there tends to be some petty vandalism in these spots (although as always its overstated + at this time of year there are probably enough boats around to look out for problems...

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks for those, I consider the flight to be all 29......so it sounds like a drink at the top of the main bit, i should be able to manage that! If anyones around about the 9-10 July and fancies a workout..........

Maffi, how will I know if he's a Londoner, fishing people never speak!!

Regards

Steve

This one never stops! Think Black cab driver.

Edited by Maffi

Cheers

Steve

When we came up Caen Hill in 2004, we were lucky enough to find another boat to breast with. It really helps, and we only had to 'single out' once when we met a 72-footer coming down (the pounds are very short).

We set off up the first 6 locks, which were against us with both top gates left open as a widebeam had gone up earlier, at 9.30 am.

We stopped after these 6 at 10.30, because there was a boat near us coming down and it was better to let him empty the locks for us as he came down.

We set off again at 11.30

We stopped at 2.15 pm still breasted up, outside the pub which is 2 locks down from the top (the other boat were so grateful to us for showing them how 'breasting up' works that they bought us beer and lunch. Simply great, as they'd done all the locks and all I'd had to do was steer while Debbie mainly 'supervised'.

The last 2 locks took 45 minutes including mooring up at Devizes.

So the total time taken on the 29 was actually 4 and a half hours from below the bottom lock to being moored in Devizes, plus a stop of 1 hour and a stop of an hour and a half.

It was a very enjoyable day.

In reading we've always found the overnight moorings near Tesco's to be full, but we've stopped a couple of times below Sonning bridge, and a couple of times on the park above Caversham bridge, without any problems.

Have a good trip!

Allan

CAEN HILL : Normally 3.5 to 4.5 hours for the whole 29. Totally agree that its worth waiting for a second boat to pair up with. Its nowhere near as bad as many would make out.

READING: I must say a few words to defend the Chestnut Walk moorings - on Forbury Loop - a backwater by the Reading Jail - but they sound nicer if you say alongside Reading Abbey instead! I have over the last few years spent many nights there and have never experienced any trouble whatsoever. Its by far the safest place to moor in Reading, and very attractive now that the restored Abbey Ruins and Forbury Park have reopened. Its true that young people do congregate here, but that shouldn't put you off, nor should the book "Narrowdog to Carcasonne" who apparently found crossing the Channel in their narrowboat less of an ordeal than the K&A in Reading! Forbury loop is reached by taking the unassuming left turn as you come downstream through the Oracle Centre then beneath the metal footbridge which marks the entrance to the K&A and turn next left (100yds), or if there is a strong current, go down to the next left turn, just before the weirs at Blakes lock and come upstream to the moorings. Low bridge alert - 6ft 10in at normal level! You can also stop at this junction where the Bel and Dragon pub restaurant have a number of finger moorings for customers. There is potentially 240v power available but they always say it will be working next time, but not today.

Note however this entire stretch is reserved for Reading Waterfest between 23-26 June.

Tesco moorings (free) on the Thames are OK for Tesco and a quiet nightstop, and above Reading Bridge alongside the park is very pleasant but you will probably be charged 4 pounds (short stops free). 200 yards further upstream behind Frys Island is quieter with easy access to the shops at Caversham, rather than Reading. Unattended boats have been broken into on Tesco moorings quite regularly.

Sonning 2 miles downstream of Reading has very nice peaceful free moorings above the lock and I also agree that the Bull is among the nicest pubs to visit anywhere - few mins walk from Sonning Lock through the churchyard, 10 mins from the free moorings. There are also opportunities for bankside mooring between Reading and Sonning. Theres not much upstream of Reading after Caversham Bridge where its officially no mooring, but some do.

On the other hand I don't recommend mooring on the Kennet and Avon itself in Reading - theres almost nowhere to stop anyway apart from some towpath bollards at the footbridge which marks the start of the K&A. These are fine for a shopping trip, but not recommended to leave boat unattended here - a bit noisy and "busy". You may make friends if you have some spare cider here though!

So say hi if you see Globetrotter - we are often in the Reading area!

chestnut_walk.jpg

Tesco moorings (free) on the Thames are OK for Tesco and a quiet nightstop, and above Reading Bridge alongside the park is very pleasant but you will probably be charged 4 pounds (short stops free). 200 yards further upstream behind Frys Island is quieter with easy access to the shops at Caversham, rather than Reading. Unattended boats have been broken into on Tesco moorings quite regularly.

I must admint that although passing on warnings about the prison moorings and 'caversham' park moorings the only time I ever got burgled was outside Tescos! Wouldn't be put off by that though (but I agree that if you get there on a weekend it will be very busy). Personally I love Sonning and my only regret from moving away from the area is not spending the summer loitering around Sonning lock area!

I agree with Globetrotter, the moorings in the Prison loop can be very pleasant. We've often used them and never had any trouble. The Tesco moorings are handy for Tesco but that's about it - anywhere else is a long walk. The moorings above Sonning lock are especially nice.

Caen Hill? Not as bad as people say. We came up last year 2 handed (I did ALL the locks) without managing to pair up. Took about 4 1/2 hours (but I was knackered!). With a decent crew and a partner boat, it can be done easily in 3-4. There's no trick but the best way not to be caught by the wind is not to try and hang about between locks. Wait in your lock until the next gate is open.

Someone mentioned the lockie to help you - yeah right. There may be a BW chap zooming up and down on a quad bike. But help you? No way.

Rob

Cripes, that's a lot of info and very much appreciated. i'll be printing that lot off and adding it to my "to take" list.

I've manaaged to con a couple of friends into thinking that a few locks might be fun, so they'll joining us for the Caen Hill job, we'll also wait for another boat the lighten the load, there should be a few around during the first couple of weeks of July.

We're starting on the Wey on the 1st and we've got two weeks to get to Bath, the timings I've done make it sound quite easy, 6 hour days should do it.

I'm just looking forward to two weeks on waterways I've never been on before, meeting a few people and finally breaking my duck with my bl88dy sea searcher magnet! Can you believe it, two hours at Braunston and nothing!!!

Cripes, that's a lot of info and very much appreciated. i'll be printing that lot off and adding it to my "to take" list.

I've manaaged to con a couple of friends into thinking that a few locks might be fun, so they'll joining us for the Caen Hill job, we'll also wait for another boat the lighten the load, there should be a few around during the first couple of weeks of July.

We're starting on the Wey on the 1st and we've got two weeks to get to Bath, the timings I've done make it sound quite easy, 6 hour days should do it.

I'm just looking forward to two weeks on waterways I've never been on before, meeting a few people and finally breaking my duck with my bl88dy sea searcher magnet! Can you believe it, two hours at Braunston and nothing!!!

Hi steve

Sounds like a nice trip

Out of interest just put River Wey (town lock 15) to Bath (deep locks 8+9) in canalplan and they say that at 6hrs a day should make it in eleven days, nice cushion if you have fourteen (more pub time?) :P

Hi steve

Sounds like a nice trip

Out of interest just put River Wey (town lock 15) to Bath (deep locks 8+9) in canalplan and they say that at 6hrs a day should make it in eleven days, nice cushion if you have fourteen (more pub time?) :D

Yup, that's what I reckon, we've got the little one to think about for the first time and the world cup so there will be plenty of stopping! :P

I have done Caen hill six times, once with a crew the other five times single handed. I have checked my log and the times for the entire flight (29 locks) varies between four hours and five and a half hours. The slowest time was when I was accompanied by another boat where the crew hadn't got a clue, the fastest time was on my own single handed in the rain. For some inexplicable reason, going downhill also seems quicker than going uphill.

Out of interest just put River Wey (town lock 15) to Bath (deep locks 8+9) in canalplan and they say that at 6hrs a day should make it in eleven days, nice cushion if you have fourteen (more pub time?)

I did this trip as far as Trowbridge in 7 days a few years back, I got in company with a hire boat at Newbury with a husband and wife aboard who RAN the towpath setting locks pretty much all the way up to the long pound.

Try and have enough spare time in hand to take in the pumping station at Claverton. The pump is good, but the nearby riverside meadow is a lovely spot.

Maybe the locks empty marginally faster than they fill due to the different type of paddle gear at each end? :P

Yeah, thats what ive always put it down too, also we use a rope when going up, and not went going down, so that takes 30secs longer each time.

Daniel