Wavey Rider boats

LizL

Featured Posts

It depends on the model.

I looked at some lovely shaped wavey riders and a couple of proper ugly brutes, when we were undecided between wood and plastic, last year.

They were all nice inside but there was definitely more than one designer working at their yard, over the years and one of them was obviously so blind he should have stuck to welding.

I like the ones that have the sliding canopy. No need for cloth covers and they seem to utilise the limited space very well. There have been several on fleabay recently but most of these were "projects" (ebay speak for knackered!)

Here's one - Here

We have a longer one in our marina a couple of boats down from us. Seems a good quality, but somewhat neglected boat.

WaveyRider700

I like the ones that have the sliding canopy.

We have a longer one in our marina a couple of boats down from us. Seems a good quality, but somewhat neglected boat.

WaveyRider700

The difference in tastes is always interesting.

Your first example was what I had in mind when I mentioned "brutally ugly" and the second, on my opinion is a lovely shape.

Have you a specific boat in mind?

Well yes, actually. We're going to see one tomorrow, it's not very pretty I don't think - but spacious, practical and within our price range; we're pretty sure it's been well looked after. We're experienced boaters but more with narrowboats - does anyone have any tips as to what to look out for please?

Thanks a lot - this is a brilliant forum!

Well yes, actually. We're going to see one tomorrow, it's not very pretty I don't think - but spacious, practical and within our price range; we're pretty sure it's been well looked after. We're experienced boaters but more with narrowboats - does anyone have any tips as to what to look out for please?

Thanks a lot - this is a brilliant forum!

If it's the slidey roof one check for water ingress and draughts, if it's a windy day.

The rubber sealing flaps split and stop being water/draught proof.

I once fixed one (not on a wavey rider) with an old rubber roller blackboard, rescued out of a school skip.

If it's the slidey roof one check for water ingress and draughts, if it's a windy day.

The rubber sealing flaps split and stop being water/draught proof.

I once fixed one (not on a wavey rider) with an old rubber roller blackboard, rescued out of a school skip.

That sounds clever! No it's not the slidey one - but has a fairly blunt front. 27 foot long, looks like it has been well cared for. Any other advice very welcome - thanks so much!

That sounds clever! No it's not the slidey one - but has a fairly blunt front. 27 foot long, looks like it has been well cared for. Any other advice very welcome - thanks so much!

I've had a Wavey Rider Elite for 7 years and have been very happy with it. Hull is 25 feet and fairly blunt at the front above the waterline so sounds like it could be the same as the one you are going to see. The blunt looks will not be to everybody's taste, but provides extra usable room inside. I've only seen about 5, including ours, so not many about in the Midlands.

The hull seems well made and is still in original gelcoat, which is always a bonus.

As you are experienced boaters you've probably done this, but just in case, I think having a written checklist helps make sure everything that is important to you is checked. I'm not sure of the specification of the standard fitout but mine was quite spartan and was done by the first owner.

I think there is nothing specific about WR cruisers to worry about, at that age it'll be down to what is included (or not) and condition.

Rubber rubbing strip. Any damage? Fixed securely?

Wooden rubbing strips. Any rot? Fixed securely?

Windows. Evidence of leaks. Do they all open and close properly, presume sliding. If fabric sliding seals probably rotten by now.

Canopy. Any damage, evidence of leaks, general condition. Take it down to make sure everything works. When canopy is down, if the screen is collapsible, collapse it to amke sure it works, Look for looseness between the frame parts.

Gelcoat. If not painted, is there gelcoat damage from oxidisation or bumping in to things.

Fenders. Corner fender condition, general appearance, do they have holes in? "Dangly" fender condition. Do they all match?

Osmosis. No idea if WR is prone.

Cooker. Do all burners work? Flame sensing?

Plumbing. Hot and cold? Pressure sensing pump with accumulator?

Electrics. Does everything work?

Batteries. Separate engine and domestic? Age.

Outboard (Guessing it'ss be O/B?) . Age, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, service history, how many charging amps, does it charge, starts OK, general condition.

Fuel tank. Metal can go tatty and rust. Fuel hose condition, they can crack.

Gas. I'm not a qualified expert but have read BSS. Faults on mine were compresion fittings had sealant applied, there were too many and the gas locker drain was blocked.

Dog needs a walk so off out. Ashby canal festival this weekend so I'll walk down there.

Good luck with the viewing.

Graham

LizL - tell me to keep my nose out if you like, but if you are looking for a cheap narrowbeam GRP cruiser have you looked at a Nauticus 27? Thes are, IMHO a much better boat than the Wavyrider and you can get them for around £7,000. Potential buyers are often put off by the outdrive but you do get a proper engine with a Nauticus and once you stick a load of ballast in the bow they handle better than an outboard powered cruiser. Also they have nice lines, well I think so.

Yes I should have qualified that assertion, what I meant is the typical small canal/river cruiser with an o/b or outdrive, not "proper" grp cruisers.

If anything a "typical small canal/river cruiser" will handle much better at slow speeds than our boat. A displacement hull will handle much better at slow speeds than our planing hull which has a habit of wandering around requiring constant small adjustments to the steering.

Cruisers handle differently to narrowboats but that doesnt mean that they are difficult :cheers:

If anything a "typical small canal/river cruiser" will handle much better at slow speeds than our boat. A displacement hull will handle much better at slow speeds than our planing hull which has a habit of wandering around requiring constant small adjustments to the steering.

Cruisers handle differently to narrowboats but that doesnt mean that they are difficult :cheers:

I agree a displacement boat will handle better but most of these cheap canal/river cruisers aren't really displacement hulls. Something like a Norman or Shetland was made to be capable of planing, given the right motive power, But something genuinely displacement, like a Broom for example I agree will handle relatively easily. These cheap GRP cruisers just don't have enough hull in the water and when you stick all the weight at the back by hanging the engine off the stern it can make them almost impossible to steer in a straight line. That's why you often see them with a couple of crew sitting on the bow - someone's realised you have to get the thing low in the water before she will grip. Having said this, I'm told by their owners that those little Hardys, which are planing hulls and usually o/b powered, handle like a dream at slow speeds.

All your thoughts are much appreciated, thank you - and we will look out for a Nauticus 27, they look like they have a nice line. We've had two narrowboats in the past but don't know a huge amount about cruisers (although my parents have owned one or two) - putting ballast in the hull would be a step too far for us I think - unfortunately we're not at all technically or DIY minded(wish we were!). So any ideas or if anyone sees a good boat in a good price range, that would be fantastic.

Thank you all again for your comments and help.

Liz

If the boat is out of the water the 1st thing to do before even looking inside is wet a sponge and wash any dirt off the bottom to see if its hiding blisters the size of half golf balls.

Check right up front in the middle left and right to the centerline.

If you find blisters that size walk away.

A decent one will probably be gleaming clean so no need to wash it.

I say all this with experience after buying a dud one with osmosis some years ago after forgetting to wash off the bottom.

Not the end of the world but a right pain to deal with.

All your thoughts are much appreciated, thank you - and we will look out for a Nauticus 27, they look like they have a nice line. We've had two narrowboats in the past but don't know a huge amount about cruisers (although my parents have owned one or two) - putting ballast in the hull would be a step too far for us I think - unfortunately we're not at all technically or DIY minded(wish we were!). So any ideas or if anyone sees a good boat in a good price range, that would be fantastic.

Thank you all again for your comments and help.

Liz

I have two water tanks up front under the seats this helps as ballast!

• 5 years later...

Can anyone help to identify the boat pictured please. The thread that was started here seems similar to our question. GRP 24'6" ... 6'6'' ... Cathedral or Triple Hull. It is stated as Peakland Boats, checked them out but they are steel hulls and a lot bigger. Cannot seem to find another one like it, please could anyone help us out, going nuts searching. Thanks.

IMG_3151.JPG