Mooring against other boats

Denis R

Featured Posts

Everybody, I'm getting sick and tired of having my boat used as a mooring jetty by visiting boats waiting to use the adjacent pump-out. There's an incessant banging and crashing of ropes, crews jumping on and off my boat and this morning, to cap it all, some joker trying to thread his ropes around my mains and telephone conenction, then using my chimney collar as a fairlead. Oh yes, and last week some clown tried to get past when the gap was only 5ft and ripped off one of my fenders in the inevitable wedgy.

Only once since I've been here has anybody asked if it's OK and once a profuse apology when I returned, because I wasn't around to ask when they arrived.

I thought there was an etiquette around tying to other boats? Am I justified in being sniffy, or do I need to take a chill pill?

I would be very unhappy if this was happening to me, I would always ask if I wanted to breast up to another boat. To be honest if I was moored in such a vulnerable position I would move, sooner or later some real damage is going to be done to you boat

Charles

Denis,

Are you moored at the Diesel pump jetty at Braunston by any chance? If so, I spoke with you on Easter Sunday (or it could have been Monday).

The marina office was closed when I stopped by at around 9AM (understandable) and I asked you if you knew when the office might be open (you were sitting on deck reading a book in the morning sunshine) so that I could buy some gas and diesel. It turned out that the office didn’t open until 10 ish so I left and came back later.

I returned later and picked up a couple of gas bottles with no problem. I was given the key to the padlock on the diesel pump and when I unlocked the nozzle, I found that the hose would not reach my diesel fill point at the stern (by a long way). Rather than turn the boat around which would have been a pain to myself and others as it would have meant reversing out of the marina into the canal, turning around then reversing back in again (others were waiting), I went back to the office and handed the key back, explaining that I had not in fact taken any diesel because the hose wouldn’t reach. The guy in the office looked at me as if I was mad and told me go back and breast up with the boat that is permanently moored at the jetty (your boat). When I told him that I didn’t want to disturb the people on the moored boat, he just shook his head and gave me a look as if I came from another planet!!

Anyway, I thought it was a real stupid place for a working marina to provide a permanent mooring (not the moored boats fault) and it struck me that the marina was just out to use every last inch of available space to rake in as much money as possible.

Needless to say, I will not be going back to Braunston marina for ANYTHING !!

Ernie

I know the situation well as I moor in the marina;

For access to the pumpout the space allocated is adequate as long as its free.

For the Diesel you need the filler within about 10 foot of the pump.

My pumpout is on the left had side so to get diesel we would pull the boat forwards to overlap the moored boat.

This mooring used to be used for boats on sale at the brokerage or waiting for the dry docks.

We have since you have been there started getting our Diesel from Mountbatten the Boat on the Cut usually between the Marina and Braunston Turn. It tends to be cheaper and its done for you by the very friendly owners.

I personally would not want to be moored there regardless of whether I was asked about being breasted up with or not.

Hi Ernie,

The mooring is actually Peter Nicholls' and the old wharf building against which I'm moored is his woodworking shop. Apparently the section of wharf 'from the drainpipe on' (!) is the pump-out and diesel mooring, but as you say, that doesn't help when the diesel hose doesn't reach and of course it doesn't say that anywhere....

Don't get me wrong, there are very nice people with whom it's great to get into conversation and have moored alongside, but from the rest some good manners and a basic respect for other people's property wouldn't go amiss!

I wouldn't mind people mooring up against my boat at all, but I would get very fed up if they were as bad with their ropes as you have experienced. Although I would expect some scraping and the such like, it does sound as though you are having a worse time of it. Breasting up isn't ideal, and I for one would certainly expect to be quiet if I did. I did notice with ther ecent river views there was a leaflet giving information about this issue - perhaps people just do not realise the etiquette?

It does sound as though you are in a vulnerable position which probably doesn't help. It is pretty stressful trying to get to a service when there are loads of boats there as are crowded spots on the canal.

You could put a sign out telling people what to do?

I do sympathise, but it sounds like your mooring, through no fault of your own, is a bit inconvenient for other users! That's no excuse for them to not to take care and minimise any bumps and rocking they might cause though. As for asking permission, they can hardly do this before they have moored up, unless you are outside the boat?

I feel a bit weird about mooring up against other boats, but when its necessary (and it often is on rivers where spaces are limited) you just have to concentrate on doing so with a minimum of fuss, and be aware that the other boat might wish to leave before you do.

When I found a boat moored directly outside the services point at Diglis the other day, I moored against it to pump out. The owners had disappeared to the shops (disgraceful!) so this was one exception where I took great pleasure in cheerfully delaying their progress when they returned. A sad, vindictive thing to do, but satisfying.

Edited by Breals

Ernie, sounds like you met the proprieter in the office ( TC)

I moored there for a couple of winters but got so miffed with his attitude (looking down his nose at you etc.) that I vowed never to go back there.

Whenever I'm asked where I moor, I always say Braunston, and then add the rider "but not in the marina"

Edited by rallyfan

So..............what is the "etiquette", on this?

And if there's a boat moored where you need to be, i.e. water point, pump out, what's the alternative?.....(besides none)?

I was told that you ALWAYS ask permision of the boat owner before tying up. So it seems that it depends on whether someone is polite or not, as in all walks of life?

I would agree with that but on the other hand if I found a boat moored at a water or pump out point I would not hesitate to moor alongside.

Well everyone, I've just had a fantastic day cruising to Hillmorton and back and have met some wonder ful people on the way, so it all seems not to be so much of an issue now.... Ask me again in a few days!

I think the crux of the matter is that the diesel pump has too short a hose and most people can't be asked to wind their boat and come in backwards. It's easier to bash in alongside mine. Maybe I'll ask the marina to fit a longer hose. Wish me luck. Oh BTW, I don't have the mooring for free and they whinged at me for not leaving enough space when I moored too close to the pump-out!

I was told that you ALWAYS ask permision of the boat owner before tying up. So it seems that it depends on whether someone is polite or not, as in all walks of life?

Hi Carrie

The problem with this is that the owner may not be on board at the time. So what is the etiquette then? As a complete beginner I'd like to know the answer to this one too.

regards

Steve

I've never seen anything written down about this, but normally if the boat you want to breast up alongside is not visibly occupied, I would tie up alongside (providing this doesn't cause an obstruction, etc) and taking care to use plenty of fendering (one of the worse things about people coming alongside is when there is metal-metal contact as this sounds 1000 times worse when you are inside).

Obviously, if they return while you are there or come out of the cabin, you can ask permission, but otherwise all you can do is try to be "low impact" by tying off your lines on your boat not theirs and not walking along both gunwhales which rocks both boats a lot.

Its also common practice to also provide verbal warning when planning to walk across the inside boats as there is nothing worse than having your boat rocked by others as you are about to pour a cup of tea, etc.

We normally sing out "walking across" or something like that when we are about to do it.

Also, if its an overnight mooring, always enquire about what time they want to go in the morning, so that you can swop positions, etc.

Really its all about mutual respect and tolerance and with my GOM (grumpy old man) hat on, this is something that is wantonly lacking in modern life. Unfortunately, its starting to creep on to the canals now as well. People are in a hurry, don't want to give way at bridge 'oles and generally transfer their road driving aggressiveness on to the cut. Luckily, its still only a small proportion, which is noticeably worse at weekends.

Mark

Edited by NB Willawaw

We normally sing out "walking across" or something like that when we are about to do it.

Mark

Is also common courtesy to avert ones eyes as you pass the open cabin doors. It was a cardinal sin in working boat days to peer into someone else's home uninvited.

I think the crux of the matter is that the diesel pump has too short a hose...

...and most people can't be asked to wind their boat and come in backwards. It's easier to bash in alongside mine.

As i see it there are three solutions.

- One, the marina get a long hose, or move the pump, such that it will reach the stern without the boats bow overlaping your boat.

- Two, move your boat so that the hose will reach the stern of the boats without there bow overlaping yours

- Or else thirdly, everone gets more broad mined about life!

Im not saying whats right here, but expection half the boats to wind twice in order to get fuel is plane reduculas, certainly i wouldnt!

Daniel

Another 15 feet or so on the diesel hose would have fixed the problem for me, I can't believe that it would cost the marina much to extend the hose??

Cheers

Ernie

It's all right for you to talk about getting more broad minded Dan, it's not you that's suffering the problem! So,

1) I'll ask them

2) I can't move any further forward, I'm as far away as I can get and yes, I am waiting for a mooring elsewhere

3) We all get to a point of sense of humour failure sometimes.

As far as I'm concerned it's like so many things in life, it's down to manner and delivery. It's not that you bash into me, it's how you do it that's important.

No, not at all, Bottle.

I don't mean any disrespect to weekend boaters, but we do notice that the cut rage

peaks at weekends. It could just be that there are a lot more boats out then, so the number

of occurences goes up. Its not one specific stereotype group either.

Mark

Ah!

weekend boaters the same as weekend drivers, elderly gents wearing hats whilst driving etc. :angry:

No, not at all, Bottle.

I don't mean any disrespect to weekend boaters, but we do notice that the cut rage

peaks at weekends. It could just be that there are a lot more boats out then, so the number

of occurences goes up. Its not one specific stereotype group either.

Mark

Well we are weekend boater's have a business to run all week,I find it quite offensive to be classed as a old bloke with a daft hat . before we got our boat both Heather and myself took and passed our inland waterways certificate i will be taking my boatmasters3 later in the year. We will cruise about 500 hr's in a year only at weekends and holidays not bad for a old bloke with a daft hat. How many hours you do Bottle??

We do come across as many bad boaters in the week as well as weekends maybe be a good idea not to tar every body with the same brush

David

Well we are weekend boater's have a business to run all week,I find it quite offensive to be classed as a old bloke with a daft hat . before we got our boat both Heather and myself took and passed our inland waterways certificate i will be taking my boatmasters3 later in the year. We will cruise about 500 hr's in a year only at weekends and holidays not bad for a old bloke with a daft hat. How many hours you do Bottle??

We do come across as many bad boaters in the week as well as weekends maybe be a good idea not to tar every body with the same brush

David

There are many steriotypes on the cut, I like to have sport and quote one or two myself, especially the so called continuous cruisers where continuous cruising is the last thing they do

We should all be tolerant, Bottle meant no offence

Charles

Bottle meant no offence

That is true. Thank you Charles

It seems that I may have hit a nerve, if the cap fits wear it, :angry::blink:

Oops there I go again

My post was meant as 'joke' hence the :blink: but obviously it was not taken that way.

I selectively quoted nb Willawaw, 'which is noticeably worse at weekends.' it is bound to worse then, more boats about.

If anyone does something wrong at a weekend then it is always blamed on them being a 'weekend boater' it is not meant as an derogatory remark, just a way of making fun.

That is true. Thank you Charles

It seems that I may have hit a nerve, if the cap fits wear it, :angry::blink:

Oops there I go again

My post was meant as 'joke' hence the :blink: but obviously it was not taken that way.

I selectively quoted nb Willawaw, 'which is noticeably worse at weekends.' it is bound to worse then, more boats about.

If anyone does something wrong at a weekend then it is always blamed on them being a 'weekend boater' it is not meant as an derogatory remark, just a way of making fun.

fair comment anyway i need a daft hat burnt me head on saturday :lol:

david