Mooring against other boats

Denis R

Featured Posts

You know what would wory me about breasting up?

Any slight damage that was perhaps already there could be blamed on you, and in this age of claim claim claim, I could just imagine it.

With regard to the weekend, or to be more acurate hire boaters......I was on the Llangollen at the weekend, (walking) and boy did I see some stupid things going on, like one guy let the front ropes go and then flaffed about at the back doing somthing else,meanwhile the front end swang out and blocked the canal he seemed to be oblivious to it

Also I saw some hire boats with a young crowd on giving it some stick too, it did make me worry a bit that soon I will be a possible target

It's all right for you to talk about getting more broad minded Dan, it's not you that's suffering the problem!

Yeah, well as i said, im not saying what solution to the problem is, just three options.

Looking at it from your point of veiw, while for a day or two its would be ok, longterm im quite sure anyone would get pritty fed up of all kinds of boats and boaters using your pride and joy as a jetty, espcially as your paying for the mooring space.

- I would talk to the owner of the boatyard and express your feelings to them, if your paying full price mooring rates then reallisticaly you should be geting a full rate mooring, not a job as a fender!

Daniel

It's all right for you to talk about getting more broad minded Dan, it's not you that's suffering the problem!

Yeah, well as i said, im not saying what solution to the problem is, just three options.

Looking at it from your point of veiw, while for a day or two its would be ok, longterm im quite sure anyone would get pritty fed up of all kinds of boats and boaters using your pride and joy as a jetty, espcially as your paying for the mooring space.

- I would talk to the owner of the boatyard and express your feelings to them, if your paying full price mooring rates then reallisticaly you should be geting a full rate mooring, not a job as a fender!

Daniel

Slightly edited quote from our Cruise Report Exodus, from the part where we took on diesel at the marina at Braunston!

"Gently through the marina entrance . . . lo-and-behold there's a 70 footer, fresh out of the paint shop, parked on the diesel point and nowhere else for us to go! And now it's raining as well!

. . . committed to the arm into the boatyard to turn round. . .

Back along the arm and I asked the 70 footer if we could breast-up to take on diesel, which we then proceeded to do. Just as I finished with the diesel another boat came into the entrance and asked . . . me to move onto the front of the 70 footer, a space of only 20 ft. but I felt I couldn't inconvenience him for a matter of a 10' overhang (we are 30'), so I skipped along the gunwale to free the center-line which was breasting us.

And it's still raining!

The inevitable happened, on my way back to the stern, with the boat drifting free, I slipped from the wet gunwale."

:P

• 1 month later...

Another 15 feet or so on the diesel hose would have fixed the problem for me, I can't believe that it would cost the marina much to extend the hose??

Cheers

Ernie

There are regulations concerning all aspects of fuel feed hoses and they are expensive.

• 6 months later...

If the owner was there I'd always ask first and I've not been refused yet. If there was a queue for a water point I'd moor up temporarily against the nearest boat because I'd have nowhere else to go while waiting. If there was a sign at moorings asking boaters to double berth I'd just do it.

I've never been bothered by other boats coming alongside provided they do so gracefully and don't crash into me. Except on the one occasion I wanted to get going first thing in the morning and they didn't return till next day. Maybe they could have left me a note.

Jason

www.afloat.org.uk