Gas pipe thickness

Featured Posts

Whichever you use make sure its thick wall seamless solid drawn annealed copper tube if using compression fittings because if thin wall is used you will find that the olives will squeeze the tube and you won't get them satisfyingly tight and will probably leak. I think you can get metal inserts to reinforce the tube ends to prevent this happening on thin wall tubing,but it defeats the object by reducing the internal bore size a little.

I hasten to add that i am not a registered gas expert but have done a lot of it.

Howsat.Please don't go off topic anymore. :cheers:

NO!!! use the right tube in the first place! no thin wall, no inserts. i have already given a supplier and the codes to get the right tube. its easy to get it right first time rather put right when it fails the BSS!

Sorry boss

Londonron Ditchcrawler not you. Right back on topic. Those gun barrels really are a work of art quite beautiful.

I'll watch the video when i top up my data ''Gorillabites'' as its running low.

NO!!! use the right tube in the first place! no thin wall, no inserts. i have already given a supplier and the codes to get the right tube. its easy to get it right first time rather put right when it fails the BSS!

Indeed.I thoroughly agree. But i've come across lots of boats in the past with the thin wall stuff which have passed the BSS examination. So if there's any jerks out there that are still going to insist on using the wrong cheap thin walled pipe,and i bet there are, at least it would surely be safer to do it sort of properly,with inserts than with non at all in order to get them properly tight.

I can't see, in the BSS guide, where it gives a BS number for copper pipe, it just says:

Section 7:

The requirements in this chapter have been informed by, and

may refer to, the following technical references, codes and

regulations. If you are building, fitting-out or making substantial

changes to a vessel, we strongly recommend you refer to, and

take account of, the codes and standards below:

n BS 669:1997 ‘Flexible hoses, end fittings and sockets for

gas burning appliances’

n BS 3212:1991 ‘Specification for flexible rubber tubing,

rubber hose and rubber hose assemblies for use in LPG

vapour phase and LPG/air installations

n BS EN 1763-1:2001 ‘Rubber and plastics tubing, hoses and

assemblies for use with commercial propane, commercial

butane and their mixtures in the vapour phase’

n BS EN ISO 7840:2004 ‘Small craft. Fire-resistant

fuel hoses’

n BS EN ISO 10239:2000 ‘Small craft. Liquefied petroleum

gas (LPG) systems’

n PD 5482-3:2005 ‘Code of practice for domestic butane and

propane gas-burning installations – Part 3: Installations in

boats, yachts and other vessels’

n Statutory Instruments 1998 No. 2451 ‘The Gas Safety

(Installations and Use) Regulations 1998’

(www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm#end)

n Calor Gas: ‘LPG (Bottled Gas) for Marine Use’

so do we have an answer to this? seems we have gone off topic in a few areas.

so if we leave "should you" to another post could we finalise what is legal to do?

i am about to install gas piping and was reading this to find out if i should get 8 or 10 mill coils of pipe to supply my oven.

im now very confused with all this imperial talk.

if you use 5/16" or 3/8" tubing bought from a chandlery you'll be OK. appliances, regulators, bubble testers, etc. generally have imperial threads so the fittings that are used with imperial tube will also match the appliances.

you are unlikely to find tube of adequate wall thickness in metric sizes. regardless of whether it is legal, it is simply the most difficult route to choose. you would save a bob or two on the tube and suffer heartache and extra costs trying to get it to fit at the ends.

no more confusion. B)

Edited by ChrisPy

no standard tube is lower grade (cheap shite!!) you would need to specify, easier to buy from someone like BES -bes link

codes 8893 1/4"

8894 5/16"

8895 3/8"

8896 1/2"

If you want less than 30m (!) they do 15m coils of 3/8 dia 21 SWG thickness in the refrigeration section. (21SWG is a hair over 0.8mm)

code 14575 3/8"

They also do 10m coils of 10mm dia 0.7mm thickness which is NOT compliant (0.7mm instead of 0.8mm) but have matching metal inserts which MUST be used in compression joints to reinforce it.

code 20619 10mm

code 18463 inserts

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete