Recessed anodes

Featured Posts

When Lily Maud was in dry dock last month for blacking I noticed that there were anodes on each side amidships that were in recessed boxes on the hull side. Now the reason is obvious, so they do not increase the width of the boat and do not get wiped off in narrow locks etc. however I have never seen another boat with a similar arrangement.

Does anybody else's boat have similar recesses?

Edited by jelunga

When Lily Maud was in dry dock last month for blacking I noticed that there were anodes on each side amidships that were in recessed boxes on the hull side. Now the reason is obvious, so they do not increase the width of the boat and do not get wiped off in narrow locks etc. however I have never seen another boat with a similar arrangement.

A boat here has them.An old 70' Weltonfield N/B i think.

Good evening

My boat , A 60ft Steve Heywood shell has eight anodes ,two on the swims ,two on the bow and four recessed (two each side). I was once told that it was a trade mark of the said builder? well they do seem to be lasting well and no sign of major hull corrosion yet.

Stan.

I have seen them on some of Stowe Hill's offerings.

It has been suggested they don't work well if recessed, but I can't really understand why that would be the case.

My boat , A 60ft Steve Heywood shell has eight anodes ,two on the swims ,two on the bow and four recessed (two each side). I was once told that it was a trade mark of the said builder? well they do seem to be lasting well and no sign of major hull corrosion yet.

Stan.

Steve Heywood ?

Not one I recognise - is that a relation of Mike Heywood ?

It has been suggested they don't work well if recessed, but I can't really understand why that would be the case.

They only work within a certain distance, which is actually very little and i've been told they don't have an effect around a corner, so the recess ends up well protected but just past it they have no effect, so basically just a gimmick.

Casp'

Good evening

Stan.

Steve Haywood has written a few books about canals and Mike Heywood has built quite a few boats.

I have seen Mike Heywood boats with the normal 4 anodes and with no anodes at all, but never with recessed anodes.

When was your boat built?

Steve Heywood ?

Mine is a Stowe Hill. Judging by the hull condition, they do work.

Steve Heywood writes a column in Canal Boat. Mike does the hulls?

Count yourself fortunate if your hull is a "goodun".

Perhaps a highly untypical example, I don't know, but I have seen a Stowe Hill boat pulled out where some of the welds were perhaps the worst I have ever seen. Massively short on metal, and effectively reducing the metal thickness at the joins by 3mm or more, simply because they had failed to fill them. I was genuinely shocked that a boat that sells at those kind of prices had been so poorly fabricated.

The surveyor looking at called me along and pointed much of this out, because I don't think he could quite believe it either. The boat had just changed hands, and it was the new owner having it surveyed - I think he might have done better to have done a pre-purchase survey!

That boat also had quite a lot of pitting for its young age, and had recessed anodes, that looked to have eroded very little.

Good evening

Stan.

Mmmm, that's not necessarily a good sign - anodes that last too long aren't working properly.

It's very difficult to tell if the anodes are working simply from the condition of a hull. For example, other factors such as the paint could be the reason. Some people don't even have anodes on their steel narrowboats because they don't believe in them and still report that their hulls are doing fine (I'm not one of them).

Edited by blackrose

Count yourself fortunate if your hull is a "goodun".

Perhaps a highly untypical example, I don't know, but I have seen a Stowe Hill boat pulled out where some of the welds were perhaps the worst I have ever seen. Massively short on metal, and effectively reducing the metal thickness at the joins by 3mm or more, simply because they had failed to fill them. I was genuinely shocked that a boat that sells at those kind of prices had been so poorly fabricated.

The surveyor looking at called me along and pointed much of this out, because I don't think he could quite believe it either. The boat had just changed hands, and it was the new owner having it surveyed - I think he might have done better to have done a pre-purchase survey!

That boat also had quite a lot of pitting for its young age, and had recessed anodes, that looked to have eroded very little.

I think because the gentleman buying it was very much involved in the build even to specifying the grade of steel and whi to buy it from, and was an IWA chairman, and particularly fussy, our build was therefore probably not typical.

Steve Heywood ?

Hi Alan

Steve Heywood is a small hull builder based near little Heywood on the T&M , as I am aware he is not connected to Mike Heywood or any waterway publications .

Stan.

• 6 months later...

Hi Alan

Steve Heywood is a small hull builder based near little Heywood on the T&M , as I am aware he is not connected to Mike Heywood or any waterway publications .

Stan.

Since been told that he is Mike Heywoods son , I can not confirm this but I must say he does build a good shell ;)